Webroot (spysweeper) firewall now free

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by acr1965, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

I wonder y my webroot firewalls tabs can't be clicked? anyone no?

2. Delgado

Delgado Registered Member

Having installed Webroot Firewall, I couldnt get Windows Live Messenger to connect, although it connected, it wouldnt sign in.

Im behind a router, and the Webroot log said Messenger was unable to receive ICMP.

If I make my Routers Address as trusted, it all works. Is this what I should, and is it safe?

3. Jeleal

Jeleal Former Poster

Just curious as to how good this firewall with the Dynamic Security Agent in use may be? I am currently using Online Armor Free which also has HIPS, and like it. However from what I have read in this thread I'm thinking Webroot may provide more HIPS protection than Online Armor.

4. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Jeleal,

There has been a lot of expert debate about this point here;https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=189431

The end result was -a draw-in that either will give all the security you could reasonably need.

No one could really give an objective opinion without identically testing both current versions,and then of course making certain that the tests were applicable in the real world,none of which has been done.

May I suggest that if you are happy with OA,stay with it.

I am still using WebRoot,even though in the last few weeks ,have also tried Comodo,the new version of Zone Alarm,OA and Filesclab.

The only thing I still am not crazy about with WDF is that DSA does tend to be "noisy",but to a reasonable extent,in view of the excellence of the total package.

If the occasional DSA popup is going to annoy you,definitely stick to OA.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  5. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Hello Hairy Coo how have you been? I just want to also tell Jeleal that after using WDF for over a week now all is running well, and I feel I'm well protected. Also like Hairy Coo I don't know if we'll ever get a concrete answer as to how it's effectiveness for security truly compares to that of Online Armor Free. I will say after using both, and now reading a few of the posts in the OA Free thread. I am more inclined to stay with WDF than before. I may try running WDF with Avira soon to see if there are any conflicts like the ones reported by using Avira with OA Free. Is anyone here using Avira with WDF?

6. Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis Registered Member

I'm running OA Free with Antivir Free on one of my PCs and am having no conflicts or issues.

7. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I believe you Hipgnosis, and in all fairness there have been posts in here of troubles with WDF. I like OA Free and am tempted to use it again. However I have personally come to the conclusion that WDF with DSA enabled may be close the protection offered by the full version of OA, and thus I am reluctant to give it up. I have stated before however that if I had the money I would use the full version of OA over WDF.

8. Hairy Coo

Hi Wordward,

I'll do you a favor-am sending a cheque for the full amount:D

a big Moo

Hairy.

9. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Thanks Hairy Coo that's mighty generous of you, but I have to ask if this is like the saying "The checks in the mail" LOL. I'll take a free license though. LOL.

10. Hipgnosis

Thanks. Everyone's PC's are different so what works for one PC may not work on another. I have been a very satisfied user of Blink Personal for quite awhile now but I am currently running the trial of QA Full on one of my PCs and based on the excellent results thus far am giving some serious thought to making the switch.

I loaded WDF briefly on one of my test PCs but really didn't give it a thorough test, I mainly just wanted to see what it looked like and see what resource usage was; is DSA built-in to the free version of WDF?

11. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Yes it is Hipgnosis. To enable it you click on the File Icon at the top of the GUI to open it and then click the advance tab. It is there that the various Detections that DSA covers can be checked and ran while WDF is in learning mode. For a novice this is a fairly simple program to understand, and for a more skilled user there are some tweaks that can be done. All in all I am very satisfied with it especially for a free program. I was also satisfied with the free version of OA, but like you I think the full version would be more impressive.

12. Jeleal

Jeleal Former Poster

Thanks everybody for the responses. I'll hang onto Online Armor free for awhile longer, but will keep the Webroot Firewall in mind. It sounds like a great security software and the pictures I saw of it look good too. Does it have self protection like online armor free does?

13. Hipgnosis

Yes, as I recall from my brief install of it, WDF has self protection.

14. Hairy Coo

None of the termination methods of APT could kill it!

http://www.diamondcs.com.au/advancedseries/apt.php

15. Hairy Coo

As a matter of fact,I've just switched over to Avira from AVG,because old AV tests indicate Avira may give marginally more protection.

Its running flawlessly.

The reported conflict could be the presence of the Cygwin Dll,which produces a Linux-like environment for Windows.

Cygwin may cause problems of different severity with the updating function of Avira and they recommend removal of apps. running it.

As in my case about 8 use it,I left them.

No conflicts at all:thumb: .

Edit-strange so many people are deciding between either OA or WDF,when there at least another 10 freebie firewalls!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  16. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I think Avira definitely provides a greater degree of Real Time security Hairy Coo. The notifier pop up screen can be a little bothersome though. Have you tried to use WDF to block the avnotify exe? I believe that's the name of the one to block so the screen no longer pops up. I will install Avira sometime this evening as I know AVG leaves some Legacy Keys in the registry after uninstall and need to be manually removed.

17. Hairy Coo

I havent come across that screen yet except once!.

If you want to uninstall and clean registry traces in one go,try this free app,which I have been using successfully for quite a while.
    http://www.revouninstaller.com/

18. Jeleal

Jeleal Former Poster

I am now trying out this Firewall and so far I like what I see. I wonder though if Dynamic Security Agent has been updated like the Firewall has?

19. Hairy Coo

No one knows-it probably doesn't matter because the concensus was that DSA is one of the best HIPS.
    Probably the only way you will find out is to PM the PrivacyWare rep.who sometimes frequents this forum.
    I dont think WebRoot are too interested in queries,seeing its a freebie.

20. feniks

feniks Registered Member

Hi to everyone.

I have maybe stupid question but I could not find any clear answer.

In the log viewer WDF is showing only blocked activity? Or what?

I ask because I did observe that while browsing internet there is a lot activities showing in log and the question is what is it? Is the site attacking mi somehow?

I did not have that much in logs in any firewall before.

I attach a screenshot (and the remote site is kind of ebay, auctions site but that is going on with other sites too)

Attached Files:

21. Hairy Coo

Feniks,

It does appear that the log shows all traffic activity without specifying if it's been blocked .

To test,I activated the traffic blocking alert pop-up(File-settings),which gives the required info.

This was checked against the relevant log entry,when a block was registered.

However,no block was shown on the log against that entry.

Advanced log options are available(Log- right click),but there does not seem any obvious way to activate the displaying of blocks,apart from the blocking pop up.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  22. feniks

feniks Registered Member

"To test,I activated the traffic blocking alert pop-up(File-settings),which gives the required info."

Thanks for the tip and thanks for answer Hairy Coo. Using that I could find out that WDF log entries are indeed block traffic entries. But sill I do not know why? Some bad packets maybe? Bad ports maybe? First time with that site I post before was port 1138 then 3812 so maybe not the ports that WDF is blocking?

I will be so happy if there in the log they will add some more information, even just the reason for blocking.

By the way I have another question. Is the position "System services" in Applications tab the WDF services (or global settings) or some windows services? I mean if it is the same as Outpost System settings? Sorry for that questions but the help and even Privatefirewall user guide from their site are poor in informations.

I have program which required some ICMP settings and I made rules under these System services in Applications section and it worked, that why I asked about Outpost System section because there where ICMP settings. So am I correct?

By the way I am not some security expert but I was playing a lot with Outpost 3 and 4, Jetico 1 and 2, Comodo 2 and 3 and lately Online Armor free and WDF is the one I like most from beginning. Is working flawlessly (perfect) with my system, really perfect with p2p eMule etc. Also have Process monitor (HIPS I assume) and all the other options. And a lot of good opinions in this forum.

Unless there is something really wrong that I do not know I think I found the best firewall of all mentioned above.

23. Hairy Coo

Who knows,as long as nothing gets thru

I agree something should be shown.!

If you right click on System Services-it should give all the options you need.
    I have no knowledge of Outpost.:)

IMO a good firewall,once DSA has settled down.

Be sure to turn on DSA-Process Monitor High-then go to-File advanced settings-enable all three options.

24. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Hey Hairy Coo. Looks like another satisfied WDF user huh? I must say I am quite pleased myself with this firewall, and like you feniks I have tried several. Runs flawlessly and gets along well with other security programs. I have ran AVG and a-squared Anti-Malware with it, and have just replaced AVG with Avira. (again) I was told by a Privacyware Rep in this thread that much time and effort has been put into the program and it certainly shows. I actually don't feel I need a software firewall as I have have a Router Firewall, but the HIPS it provides with DSA enabled and the fact that it is running very very light on my 512MB PC makes me think why not. I have used Online Armor Free and it pales in comparison, and I doubt that Comodo 3 will run as stable as WDF does until after the final release is out for awhile. It may however rival or exceed the protection WDF offers, but only time will tell. For now using WDF, Avira, and Firefox behind a router firewall should be enough protection for me, and I believe a very good set up. Take care fellows.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  25. feniks

feniks Registered Member

Yes flawlessly is the key word. :D

Online Armor would be the second but with eMule the transfer is really like driving car on hand breaks.

Jetico maybe...

Outpost and Comodo, flawlessly hmm... this is key word not to apply here.

By the way the ICMP setting works with the System services in Applications section of WDF so there are the global settings of this firewall I think because this is the only place where you can set ICMP and it apply to all other applications.

I also have Linksys AG241 router and NOD32 so I think I will stop develop my paranoia at this point.

Only Eset Security Suite plus maybe OA (without firewall) or DSA or SSM or Threatfire is tempting a little for testing...

But I do not want became full time firewall keeper. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.