Webroot (spysweeper) firewall now free

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by acr1965, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

Does WDF work in a limited user account without tweaking? (if someone has tested it in LUA).

/C.

2. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

I had a subscription to this that still has time on it.I took it off because it was a hog.Where would i get a download of this seeing the cd doesn't have the firewall on it?This had the antivirus with it as well.

3. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

Also right click on explorer.exe, iexplore.exe etc , change the settings all to "ask" if you the experience of crazy DSA style popups,. I ber though most people will quickly change a lot of it to allow...

4. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

False. WDF/DSA does not have anything like Mailshield or Webshield. It does have that email annomaly thingie which is not quite the same.

No offense, Hairy maybe you should not trying to speculate without trying?

5. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

Personally i would switch if i thought the limitations in the firewall in the OA were too limiting (and I do in some situations).

The HIPS in OA free imho is more stable and friendly than the one in DSA.

Trying to run both is trying to run two firewall+HIPS packages basically, not advisable.

6. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Thanks for querying this,but maybe you could attempt to be a bit less cryptic.

I have double checked all this and briefly "Mail Shield is a built-in part of Online Armor which is used to filter out undesirable email. This includes financial scam emails, and to a limited extent - "Spam" emails that contain links to sites on a spam blacklist "

WebShields purpose "Every site you visit passes through Online Armor's webshield component. It doesn't matter which program you use to surf the net. Online Armor inspects these pages to see if they contain dangerous or undesirable content "

Online Armor keeps a central list of sites - safe, dangerous and blocked. You may also add your own rules to Online Armor's "My Websites" page for those sites you trust (or don't)."

It does look like MailShield and Email Anomaly are different.

WebShields purpose seems to be similar to that of Site Advisor .

If this is correct then WDF does not in fact have similar modes or filters.

In any case,apologies to Mike of Online Armor:D

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  7. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Without making this a verses thread, I do think WDF offers a bit more protection than OA Free since it can be set to utilize DSA capabilities. However they are both such good programs that you couldn't go wrong with either one. I am currently using OA Free with nothing else except AVG Pro AV without fear, and may soon try out and do the same with WDF. With OA Free temporarily uninstalled of course.

8. Hairy Coo

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks. I remember seeing this test before. SO WRF will be a nice free choice in addition to CFP and OA.

10. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Well I installed WDF and I must say it's very nice. Logging is all right, and while the GUI is quite different than both Comodo and PC tools FW I like it. I have learning mode off now and all of the DSA features turned on so I will see how it it runs. Seems quite stable at the moment. Running light and any reboots I did seem faster than when I had ThreatFire installed. I do wonder though if anyone knows how well the Dynamic Security Agent HIPS runs with other security programs? I was thinking about reinstalling a-squared, but right now I'm trying out Spyware Terminator without the HIPS turned on.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  11. Hairy Coo

:D Good on ya:thumb:

I had Threatfire running for while as well as the rest and didnt notice any difference at all.
    Also I'm running SAB which has realtime spyware protection-no difference either.

You shouldnt have any problems.

12. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Hello Hairy Coo. Thanks for the reply. I doubt running Spyware Terminator is the equivalent of using a-squared AM, but I do like the looks of ST. Plus a-squared left a lot of stuff on my PC after uninstall that I had to delete. (many Reg keys but only a few folders) Maybe ST does too, but I have read it removes almost everything when it's uninstalled. What's SAB though?

13. Hairy Coo

Its a shareware ad. blocker and antispyware but doubt that you could do better than Spyware Terminator,which I use on demand only and this has turned out OK- no slowing down.

14. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Thanks Hairy Coo I have been posting in the ST forum as well, but I appreciate all your votes of confidences in my choices of Security Programs. I'll keep intouch and thanks again.

15. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I just installed this. What in the world is the awful sound every 15 seconds if the mouse is moved? It was driving me crazy. I had Winamp playing AOL XM Radio and right after I rebooted, after installing this firewall, I started hearing this loud cluck sound. I noticed that if I did not move the mouse I would not hear the sound. If I moved the mouse at all every 15 seconds I would get this loud noise. If I turned off my speakers, of course, I didn't hear it. I usually don't have my speakers on unless listening to music.

I really liked what I saw of the firewall. It learns like ProcessGuard and it noticed the applications that were accessing the net and listed them but it didn't drive me nuts with popups. I was reading the help file to see how to enable the training but I could not stand that awful noise! So, I told it to shut down and exit the tray. It did and I still heard that awful noise every 15 seconds unless I didn't move the mouse. It was totally wrecking my music. So, I uninstalled it and after rebooting thank goodness! no more clunking noise!

Anyone have any idea why I got that? I have a USB optical mouse from Dell. This mouse is four years old and still a great mouse. It is usually totally silent. I never hear any clicking, clunking, or other noises when using it with my speakers on...until I installed this firewall. Weird! :( It's a Dell mouse but made by Logitech and I noticed the driver is from 2001 (Microsoft).

16. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

No hard drive noises here. Been using Webroot Desktop Firewall for several days now with AVG Pro and running quite well. Fast reboots, internet, and PC speed. Have also used it with Spyware Terminator recently and now have a-squared AM installed instead, but had no problems with either one and WDF. I was thinking about going back to Online Armor Free and might, but WDF is very nice and I think is a little more comprehensive with the Dynamic Security Agent protection enabled. Sorry you had problems, but I remember installing AVG some time ago and after hearing clicking noises a complete uninstall and reinstall fixed it. I hope you try WDF again, but if not I gotta say Online Armor Free would be a good choice.

17. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Just got this in the antimalware forum from a Privacyware rep.

Hi Wordward -

Being a Privacyware representative, I am certainly biased, but WDF 5.5 is a very complete, rigorously tested, desktop defense package that provides advanced control over ports, applications, processes, system and application behavior along with a number of other cool management and reporting features. WDF 5.5 includes all of the features offered in Privatefirewall 6 (to be released under the Privacyware brand soon), wherein DSA is fully integrated, and is now also fully integrated with Webroot anti-spyware and anti-virus offerings.

18. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I submitted the problem to Webroot support and got back a very prompt auto reply with a promise of an email reply within 1-2 days (maybe longer since this is the weekend). Maybe support can tell me something to do to fix it. That is interesting that an uninstall and reinstall fixed your noise problem with AVG. I will wait to see what support says before trying reinistalling.

19. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

What you need is some imaging software so that you could have different set-ups for each snap-shot.... :blink: :eek: o_O

20. Hairy Coo

Yes,when we discussed anti-spyware to use with WDF,we regrettably forgot about the highly regarded WebRoot Spysweeper and seeing the firewall is offered free,certainly could be checked out.

At the very least there wont be any conflicts.

As regards activating DSA,Privacyware has confirmed to me that the method discussed in post 50 is basically correct.

On the Main menu, select Process Monitor in the left panel and move the slide bar to Medium or High as required,after reading the description in the right hand panel.

The setting High/Ask would offer better security

Then select File -advanced Settings and enable these three settings.:thumb:

21. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Hey Hairy Coo have you seen the DSA website? It says DSA has a quarantine for any malware it catches. If DSA in WDF catches malware what happens? I quess you can block something, but I'm not sure what to make of this.

22. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Buggy on 2008 Server RC. Ignores the "remember selection" checkbox and sets a rule all the time. Ignores * (any) for remote port selection and will only set individual rules for each port. DSA prompts don't pop up all the time either. Anyone else have any of these problems or is it only a Server 2008 issue?

23. Hairy Coo

Dunno-no quarantine folder -hidden or otherwiseo_O

Espresso-not using Server,but no probs.otherwise:) Do you think the RC part may have something to do with it?

24. deanmartin

deanmartin Registered Member

Just installed WDF today. running smooth & fast a tad better than with pctools.

25. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Just gotta say I like your user name deanmartin. I'm old enough to remember his the variety show. LOL. Oh yeah, WDF still running well here too. It really is a nice program. I'm sorry to hear it isn't running right for you Espresso. Hopefully you can contact someone at Webroot or Privacyware for help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.