Webroot Spysweeper 3.5 and 4.0 Comparison

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Hard Rocker, May 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Hi all,

I updated today to version 4.0.1 (build 331) and installing it went without problems.
    It's really silent when performing a sweep, compared to version 3.5. :)
    Haven't had time yet to look at all the other improvements, but that's really something that struck me.

I think the problems described by siliconman01 must have been addressed already by Webroot by releasing yet another build.

On a side note: When I requested an update, their database said I didn't exist. o_O

Immediately I submitted a ticket requesting the download link for the new version, as well as investigating what went wrong.
    Believe it or not, but 10 minutes later I received a response to my ticket and another email with the download link. :D

After installing the new version I immediately saw that my expiration period had been extended from 2 years to 3 years.

Great customer service. :cool:

2. Hard Rocker

Hard Rocker Registered Member

:) Good to hear Eldar, I'ts encouraging to know that the v4 is improving.

Nice to see better customer & tech support service from Webroot as well. However, my previous complaints about their support resulted from calling their toll free number & NOT from their on line support. :rolleyes:

HR :cool:

3. controler

controler Guest

I was running 4.0 but when clicking on the update button it always said I was up to date even though I wasn't. I then went to their site and clicked redownload
    and they send an e-mail with download link. I install it and it is 3.2 LOL
    I remember getting an e-mail from them stating since I used the Beta I could download the released version of 4.0, so I tried that link and got the newest
    4.0.1 ( build 331 )

I am not sure now how we get the last build since the update feature doesn't work.

controler

4. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

I just go to the Webroot website, go to the download section, and then the re-download purchased software and have them email me a new link every 4-5 days.

I've bugged this problem as well.

I frequently get connected to a pre-V4 download which I tell because the size of the file to be downloaded is less than 6 mbytes. I cancel and reconnect. Normally the second try will come up with the proper download. ;)

5. siliconman01

Build 4.0.2.349 in available

Just installed 4.0.2.349.

Here is what I am seeing with this build.

1. The LARGE HOSTS file problem is not resolved. And this build completely clears out a HOSTS file that SS deems is too large...everything is cleared out...blank.
    However, in this build the user can turn OFF all the Hosts Shield options and SS will ignore the HOSTS file. Thus you can turn over to HOSTS file protection to another program such as Giant AS and run large HOSTS files such as HPGURU's. Not a satisfactory FIX by SS, but it is a bit of an improvement IMHO..

2. Doing a full scan with the Memory scan enabled still causes the loss of huge amounts of Physical Available memory. My system loses 250 megabytes of RAM. I am continuing to run without the Memory Scan option enabled to avoid this.

So basically there is no significant change concerning these two problems with V4.0.2.349.

6. knutsond

knutsond Registered Member

I am a registered user . I have 4.0 now. It causes my system to create 104 tempe files that no program can get rid of. If I reboot disabling spysweeper they go away. Once I start it they come back .

7. Hard Rocker

:rolleyes: I went to the Webroot Upgrade Site a couple of days ago just to see what was going on with upgrades and once more I was given the option to download the newer 4.0 version. As usual I chose NOT to & it seems they have pulled back the new version once again !! Now when I visit that location I'm informed that my software ( 3.5 ) is up to date.

The issue that knutsond is having does NOT sound very encouraging at this point in time. o_O

I'm starting to wonder if Webroot will ever get SS v4.0 working properly ........ all I can say is I'm not going any where near the new version until I start to hear that it is not causing any problems. :doubt:

8. siliconman01

Knutsond,

Are you referring to the .tmp files found in folder C:\Windows\Temp? If so, these are temporary files used by the new service WRSSSDK in V4. They are held "in use" by this service. That is the reason they will not delete. You can test this by shutting down SS and then killing WRSSSDK.exe using the Task Manager. Once WRSSSDK.exe is off, you should be able to delete these .tmp files. They will come right back when you restart SS V4 however. One odd thing is that I only have 32 of these files in C:\Windows\Temp. :doubt:

I don't see any problem with WRSSSDK setting up and using .tmp files for its use....JMO.

9. siliconman01

Concerning this "problem", I am told by Webroot support that this is not really a problem. As soon as SS completes its memory scan, the memory is released. It's the Task Manager that does not update the memory usage again until a system reboot occurs. So... guess this is not a problem. Just never have seen this type of "occurrence" by other security programs that scan memory.

10. feddup

feddup Registered Member

I'm unsure of the memory issues regarding using spysweeper for resident protection but apparently webroot has dealt with the large hosts file issue. I just installed 4.02.349 (I believe) and the installation went flawlessly even though my hosts file is approx. 1.3mb in size. The earlier 4.xx releases would give a "program is damaged" message supposedly caused by a large hosts file. Updating and running the program seem faster. I'm still iffy on using for resident protection but might change if others have positive experiences.

11. siliconman01

Feddup,

I just tried turning on the HOSTS shield in V4.0.2.349 and it issued a message "Hosts too Large" and it totally blanked out my HOSTS file. Perhaps you should look in folder C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc and see if your HOSTS file is intact. On my system with this V4.0.2.349, the large HOSTS file (1.154 mb) will remain unaffected unless any of the Host Shields are activated in SS. Then "poof", there goes everything in the HOSTS file.

Last edited: May 28, 2005
  12. feddup

feddup Registered Member

I just checked and the hosts file is intact but I turned off all sheilds including hosts when I installed it.

13. Kaupp

Kaupp Registered Member

Many Thanks!
    It's a small price to pay to have a build that will for now at least run on my machine. :)

regards
    Kaupp

14. siliconman01

Yep, with the except of the HOSTS file Shield, V4 seems pretty solid and functional...quite pleased with that.

15. ricari

ricari Registered Member

Tried to install this new version, 4.0.2.349 but after reloading my computor, I keep on getting "program is damaged message please reinstall". I uninstall the program, went to the registry and delited all link's to webroot or Spy Sweeper then reinstall this new version in "safe mode" and got the same message every time I start my computor.

So I uninstall again, delited all registry link's and reinstall version 4.0.1.331 in "safe mode" and everything is ok now.

regards
    ricari

16. siliconman01

ricari,

If you wish to use V4.0.2.349, I feel confident that the following procedure will get you on stream.

1. Create a small HOSTS file
    a. Open Notepad
    b. Create a single line entry that is 127.0.0.1 localhost
    c. Save it to the folder C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc as HOSTS.txt

2. Shutdown Spy Sweeper

3. Using Windows Explorer
    a. Navigate to the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc folder
    b. Rename your current large HOSTS file to HOSTSBIG
    c. Rename HOSTS.txt to HOSTS
    d. Exit Windows Explorer

4. Using Add/Remove in the Control Panel, remove Spy Sweeper.

5. Reboot your computer.

6. Disable your antivirus program and shut down as many programs as you can..those that have icons in the lower right Systray.

7. Install V4.0.2.349 (you do not need to be in SAFE MODE).

8. Reboot your computer to restart all your programs and enable your antivirus program, etc.

9. Open Spy Sweeper and DISABLE the HOSTS Shield completely...every option under the HOSTS shield.

10. Set up all the other options/shields that you desire in Spy Sweeper.

11. Download the latest definitions.

12. Shut down Spy Sweeper.

13. Using Windows Explorer:
    b. Rename your current small HOSTS file to HOSTSSMALL
    c. Rename HOSTSBIG to HOSTS
    d. Write down the size of this large HOSTS file
    e. Exit Windows Explorer

14. Restart Spy Sweeper and run a scan of your system.

15. Using Windows Explorer:
    b. Verify that your Large HOSTS file is in tact. Just look at the size.

16. For safety reasons, reboot your computer

17. Repeat the verification that your HOSTS file is okay.

That should get you on stream with V4.0.2.349. You just will not have a Shield for the HOSTS file.

17. ricari

ricari Registered Member

Thank's siliconman01

18. Wras

Wras Guest

Downloaded "Program Version 4.0.3 (Build 363) Using Spyware Definitions 494" in the 12th June.

No problems from my perspective, but I don't have a large Host file.

19. Hard Rocker

Hi, :D

Well .... I finally decided to install Spy Sweeper 4.0.3 .... Build 363 tonight and I must say I am quite impressed.

This version scans my PC in under 10 minutes .... as compared to 3.5 which took about 23 minutes to finish scanning.

The only problem I had was that the first download attempt ended prematurely .... since for some reason the file became corrupted. o_O

I had no problem the second time & Spy Sweeper installed without any issues whatsoever.

It took a while for Webroot to solve the problems other members here have experienced since the introduction of version 4.0 .... but, I have no regrets holding off until now to install the new version .... as it works great for me !! :D

20. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

Sure is faster, but check your sweep option to be sure.

21. Hard Rocker

Hi, ;)

No prob's with my sweep settings .... but thanks for the suggestion anyway. :D

22. Hard Rocker

:) I'm using SpySweeper 4.0.3 build 363 & until recently the program performed without any issues. I had been noticing other members posting in this thread about problems with their " Hosts " file .... but until last night I hadn't experienced this issue.

I installed SpyBlocker last night & apparently the program added numerous entries to my Hosts file causing SS to display the alert that my hosts file was too large.

When I contacted Webroot (SS) tech support about this situation, I was informed that this was a problem related to SpyBlocker & not SpySweeper. The tech told me to contact SpyBlocker & also informed me that I had too many security programs on my PC. o_O

I have since uninstalled SpyBlocker & SS no longer alerts me that my hosts file is too large !!

Any thoughts people ?

23. siliconman01

My thoughts are that the tech support rep has errored in his analogy and solution. The problem is not at all related to the functionality of SpyBlocker. It's related to the fact that SpyBlocker added a quantity of new entries to the HOSTS file and it exceeded the limit that Spy Sweeper is able to handle using the new V4. That is a flaw in Spy Sweeper. Windows will allow thousands and thousands of entries in the HOSTS file...why will not Spy Sweeper work when the number of entries gets above 1000 entrieso_O? V3.5 did.

So who is the faulting program....certainly seems obvious to me that the new V4 of Spy Sweeper is. :eek:

24. Hard Rocker

Hi Siliconman01, :)

I certainly agree with your analogy on the SpyBlocker / SpySweeper hosts file issue .... & to suggest a customer has too many security programs .... o_O .... because their program is not dealing with the additional host files .... what is that about ?

Once again, it's not the first time I've received poor technical service from Webroot. :(

25. siliconman01

My opinion is that it is an uneducated remark....or perhaps a "feeling of professionalism" that SS is so good that it fully protects a user. Obviously a user can go overbroad; however, a rational multilayered approach to security is the safest and most reliable approach.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.