Webroot Spy Sweeper?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by mrm3601, Aug 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrm3601

mrm3601 Registered Member

For antispyware protection I've been using SuperAntiSpyware Professional. Although I could be wrong, I think the sentiment regarding using Webroot's Spy Sweeper within this forum, generally speaking, is negative.

If I'm correct, my question is: why is this? Is Spy Sweeper considered to be "bloated?" Do the scans substantially slow down system performance? Is it just not as effective as other antispyware software, or what?

Thanks again.

2. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

From my experience I think what you said is mostly right. It is bloated, slows down startup, and performance, but it is effective. It has pretty good protection especially if you are an IE user, and IMO it has real good on demand detection of spyware and tracking cookies. The downside is the performance issue, which was enough for me to stay away. I mean I am not going to pay for a product that I keep turned off because of performance issues and only start it up for an on demand scan. I am not an IE user, I don't have problems with spyware to be honest with you, so I am not going to pay for a stand alone antispyware product anyway.

3. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

I have been using it for 7 years now and seen it come along way. The product runs great on a fine tuned pc. One with enough ram to get the job done. I like it myself, but if you have a older slower pc it does slow it down.

4. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

It has been about 2 years since I used it. I had a lot slower pc then compared to what I have now. So my opinion is a little dated to be honest with you.

5. mrm3601

Thanks for your replies.

I use Firefox, NOD32, Online Armor, and like I say, SuperAntiSpyware Professional.

6. dell boy

dell boy Registered Member

yeh looks like you got enough detection based protection there, only improvement would be something like sandboxing geswall but your ok if your happy with that...

7. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

I would at least not add more to that setup. I've one app. total running in tray full-time, and that's Norton AntiVirus 2010.

8. mrm3601

I get it, raven 211. I'm sure my set is ok as it is.

Thanks again.

9. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

I didn't like their annual licensing approach back then. I don't know if they still do it, but when I bought a license online they sent me a conformation email explaining that they would automatically deduct my credit card when the time came up for renewal :D (just to make sure that I wouldn't have any gap in protection) and would send me an email ahead of time giving me the opportunity to cancel it. I canceled it. Then I got an offer a week later that was $10 less than what they were going to charge my credit card for.

10. Fly

Fly Registered Member

My last version of Webroot's SS was 5.7. I had issues with 5.8, never tried version 6 or later. On my computer 5.7 was not bloated, unlike 5.8 builds.
    Its real-time protection used to block at least 90 % of the spyware (excluding cookies). But these days, AVs are a better choice for real-time antispyware protection. The good ones anyway, check av-comparatives.org.
    Viruses, trojans, spyware, adware have blended into malware, and AVs are usually better at dealing with that. Of course you can run a real-time antispyware software, but that can cause conflicts with other security software and cause resource hogging.

SS was good for real-time protection, but it didn't do well in on-demand scans.

Also, you need a customized install to avoid getting an ask.com toolbar and possibly more, and you should take a really good look at their privacy policy before installing it. They also have some community type thing that uploads data to Webroot, I didn't like it for privacy issues. You need to opt-out during a customized install if you want to avoid that.

While their tech support used to be good, it went from bad to abysmal/absent.

I decided not to renew it.

I have never used SAS.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  11. mrm3601

Again, thank you to you all.

12. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I remember something about issues with their data collection policy. I don't know for sure there was any problem with their data collecton policy, but i do know it was brought up on this forum once. I have a license for Spy Sweeper, but replaced it with Prevx because it slowed down my computer. I've tried all versions, and 6.0 just seemed really bloated. I don't remember the name of the process, but there was one that ran all the time using like 20 to 30 megabytes of memory on average. The process was unrelated to the resident shield. I sent an e-mail to webroot, but never got any response on what that process was for. My best guess was that the process was for its update engine. I googled it, and could not find any info except that it belonged to spy sweeper. This is when 6.0 just came out, and that process was not in the previous version so maybe there's more info on it now. The upside of Spy Sweeper is that it has excellent detection, and removal. So you may like it.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.