Webroot SecureAnywhere Discussion & Update Thread

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Triple Helix, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

yes it sounds great on paper, especially that marketing gimmick they call the Roll back feature where even if you were infected, the roll back feature will help reverse all those things.....well it didn't on every machine I got to repair that had Webroot on it...from then on I've switched those people to Bitdefender Free and never heard back.

2. Petrovic

Petrovic Registered Member

;)

3. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

^^^^ A fine example of being hoist by one's own petard.^^^^

4. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

I challenge you to do it! You're an IT expert right? show me how you would install it then remove it please.... and notice how it would put almost every app running in the monitoring mode causing huge slowdowns, even legit apps such as the BlackBerry Desktop Software on the Mac were put into monitoring mode.

The way I see it from the time I used WSA and my many complaints on their forums in the past, is the way it operates is by flagging every file as malware until such a time where users report it's an FP then they whitelist the file........that's how they may get high scores in some reviews offcourse, the thing blocks everything, legit or not, but misses on the real threats it seems.

When I started using it 1 year back, I found myself constantly reporting FPs until I got tired and thought, I have better things to do with my time than to work for Webroot and help them whitelist all the files they've flagged as a virus, it was s never ending drama.....

Let's say X program is flagged as a virus by Webroot, you contact support, wait for them to respond and whitelist the file.....then the program gets an update, and you have to contact them again to whitelist it as the hashes have changed!

5. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

There are product nicknames all over Wilders. Ignore them and drive on. Stay on topic please. Thank you.

LOL... well, I have knowledge in certain well defined aspects of AVs. An IT expert -- I am not.

That's why I look to you smart-guys for guidance.

-Frank

6. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Thanks Frank, we are all here to share experiences, that's what a forum is all about after all. I try every AV out there and post my hands on experience to save people the headache of trying it, uninstalling, etc. Take it or leave it ;)

7. Alexhousek

Alexhousek Registered Member

I find your comments disrespectful and insulting. Calling a very important and unique feature of this AV a "marketing gimmick" is uncalled for. You sound like a broken record..going on and on and on...saying the same things over and over again. All you do on this forum is bash WSA. I've been following this thread for months and you consistently bash WSA. Why do you hang out on a forum for a product that you don't use and obviously don't like? It makes no sense. I certainly don't go to the forums for products I don't use or don't like. It'd be a waste of my valuable time.

Yes, I use WSA and I have used it for the past 2 years. I have never had one iota of an issue with WSA. It just flat out works and it works quite well. However, to be honest, I could use almost any AV and be happy with it. My belief is that if I use a solid AV, along with Sandboxie, and practice safe browsing, I'm going to be safe. Worrying about what's the "best" AV is just futility. I feel no need to bash other AV's just because I don't use them. To each his own.

8. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

not bashing, stating facts only

now if I were to use WSA I know I wouldn't get infected as I know what I'm doing, I was complaining about the people whom I installed it for got back to me within 2 days complaining of weird popups and behaviour and when I scanned their system, they had a virus so WSA didn't do its job there

Why do I post here? because I am entitled to, I have a license and want to use it actually if the quirks are polished out, I did mention the quirks I am facing up above.

Why does it offend you so much if I diss the product you use? just use it and be happy if you have no problems! I voice my concerns! you don't like it don't read my posts.

9. SSherjj

SSherjj Registered Member

Hello,

I don't understand when you say Mortal Raptor:

Uninstaller doesn't work 100% in Windows and doesn't work at all on the mac without submitting a support ticket, then waiting for support to logon to the mac system entering 10s of lines of code in the console to manually remove it, Webroot here to me, is no better than an actual virus.

I am not a Mac expert but I have never had to submit s Support Ticket since November 2013 running WSAC on a Mac. That I couldn't uninstall myself. I do uninstall when working with Beta and have never had an issue uninstalling Webroot. I can count maybe 1 time ..2 times at the most that I used Safe Mode to uninstall. I do not have troubles with my Mac/Yosemite running Webroot and /or the Beta versions. It's only difficult to uninstall Webroot in a Mac if you don't follow the uninstall instructions given IMO. Yes there are times one has to contact support but that's mostly for one who is less technical or have botched the uninstall already. I may be treading on soft waters but this is what I think.:isay:

10. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Just a few examples of what I mean:

Can't unistall SecureAnywhere from Mac OSX

I need to completely remove WebRoot from my Macbook Air and cannot

I cannot get webroot to uninstall from my mac

How do I uninstall your horrible product from my mac?

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-apps-games/314147-webroot-secure-anywhere.html

Remove Webroot Secure Anywhere

- edited to reduce font size

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2015
  11. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Facts maybe but you are giving (at least to me) the impression that they are the only facts.

I, like Alexhousek, have been running WSA for a number of years with none of the issues you describe...that does not make what you say incorrect but just not THE FACTS...just some facts that the public should be allowed to judge in the context of their own experiences.

No one, as far as I know, has said that WSA is the ONLY security app out there worth using...if it were then by definition we would all use it...which plainly is not the case. Am all for informing the public and potential users...but let's keep it balanced and vitriol free, and most importantly...on topic. :thumb:

Baldrick

12. SSherjj

SSherjj Registered Member

Yes Mortal ..I know this and I am fully aware of those posts. But you are saying 100% and that the Mac uninstall does not work AT ALL! No use debating this issue. This uninstalling can occur with alot of AVs out there. Would you like me to name some? Pointless to name because you are riled up I'd say.:eek:

13. fax

fax Registered Member

Finally someone else noticing the trolling exercise by MR (and few others). I can expect a username change in the near future :D

14. clubhouse1

clubhouse1 Registered Member

Just giving WSA another try..At last the browsing seems snappier on my system set up...But I notice it still forbids copying serial numbers and allowing you to paste on other softwares to complete installation...Apart from turning WSA off is the another way to stop this really annoying FAULT?

15. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

In all fairness, anyone can go to a developers support forum and read all about problems people are having with their particular product. I don't know of any product that works perfectly fine for everyone 100% of the time. People don't normally post at a support forum to compliment the product they are having problems with. My product of choice, EIS, isn't immune from bugs and neither is Webroot, Eset or any other product.

16. clubhouse1

This thread was created by a self titled "Webroot Product Advisor"....I'm looking for advice.

17. fax

fax Registered Member

Have you tried to simply turn off identity protection?

18. clubhouse1

Ok, I'll give that a try next time...However on the support page there is no mention of this being the solution...

"The Identity Shield secures your browsing sessions against Trojans, phishing attacks, and identity theft. It ensures that your personal information – such as usernames, passwords, security codes, account numbers, and credit card numbers – stays protected as you bank, shop, and interact online."

Unless I'm reading wrong..

http://www.webroot.com/us/en/suppor...=pa&VER=17168&CSIPARTNER=9309&SOURCE=BANKHSBC

19. Petrovic

Petrovic Registered Member

Please read these articles,:

Controlling active processes
    http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C10_SystemControl/CH10b_ControllingPr...

Blocking/Allowing files
    http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C5_Quarantine/CH5b_BlockingAllowingFi...

Managing protected applications
    http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C6_IDProtection/CH6c_ManagingProtecte...

If you can't get this to work you can submit a Support Ticket

20. Infected

Infected Registered Member

I run WSA on my wife's computer with not hitches at all. It's the only AV that I will run. Haven't had an infection yet.

21. Baldrick

Clubhouse, all you need to do is go into the Identity Protection option and under Application Protection, just make sure that the relevant file/app is marked as 'Protect' or 'Allow' and NOT 'Block'.

It is that simple.

Regards, Baldrick

22. clubhouse1

I get it now...Not sure that it should be necessary. I've never come across an AV that has stopped copy and paste before...Its an annoyance to me, its also something I can take or leave when considering buying Webroot and that will take a few days of testing :)

23. vojta

vojta Registered Member

You have posted 27 times in this Webroot thread during the last week. You don't seem to have better things to do, frankly.

By the way, one week ago you posted this:

Webroot was great a week ago except for the web filter. Now you come with a new horror story about it every six hours.

24. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

Couldn't agree more......well said. But it goes on regularly.

25. Baldrick

Well, it is one of WSA's features in the same way that many AVs/ISs have one or two features that are unique to them...at one point in the early days of web safe browsing virtually none of the apps had that as a feature and now most do. SO what is currently unique and therefore uncommon can be tomorrow's must have feature...it is the cycle of things.

But you are right...it is one component of a review into whether WSA is the right product for you.

Baldrick

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.