Webroot not updating Spy Sweeper, what do you think?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Doraemon, Nov 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doraemon

Doraemon Registered Member

After all the Webroot talking these days (PrevX, PCMag "Editor's choice", ...) I noticed that an essential part of their products, Spy Sweeper, is still running @ version 6, while the AV and the IS were upgraded to the new version 7 for their 2011 lineup.

So I just sent an email to support (I'm a SS customer but don't use it) to ask what was going on with SS. This is the answer I received:

Thank you for contacting Webroot Support. There currently are not any plans to upgrade the Spysweeper to a 7.0 version. The spysweeper is still highly effective at 6.1.0.145 version. The anti-virus had to be upgraded with all the new viruses coming out on a daily basis.

I wanted everyone here to know this and ask you what do you think about it. IMHO SS is the key part of Webroot software and the most important module for their latest good results in some tests. So it's a bit strange that they haven't updated it since (I think) last year!

Thanks for your thoughts! :-* :D

2. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Two things come to mind.
    1. If it's not broken then don't fix it. There may not be any need to update SS if its performing well.
    2. They could be working on combining SS, and Prevx as a dual scanning AntiMalware solution. If this is the case then they may just not have enough time to accomplish this for their 2011 line of products.

Does anyone else have any other thoughts?

3. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

According to their facebook support SpySweeper 7 was is Dev but not finished yet. So maybe it does have something to do with the PrevX buyout?

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I hate to say it but in my mind, I am thinking of how these two could be used in a product that downloads a portion to your pc, and a portion used for cloud scanning. Know things are scanned and unknwn are sent off to the cloud. Less taxing on the cloud and active protection without a internet connection.

this may get interesting after all. Spy Sweeper has awesome detection, just take the hog out of it.

5. Doraemon

Doraemon Registered Member

Actually I think that SS should be upgraded because it's a resource hog IMO and therefore could be called as "broken". ;)

I know that definitions are regularly updated but the program itself also needs some tweaking IMO.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.