Webroot Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Dieselman, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

I am waiting for Matousec to to an updated leak test but till then has anyone tried this? Is it any good? I am using ZAAS now and cannot stand Comodo or Online Armor.

2. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Webroot Firewall is nice, especially if you need to use something for free. However, for the money I would stay with ZAAS. Other than the hesitation some experience at the Welcome Screen after reboot, it runs very well. Also the Triple Firewall Protection it offers is pretty darn good, and the ease of use it also offers, in my opinion isn't rivaled by any firewall you mentioned.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  3. Dieselman

So why are you sticking with Comodo?

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I was going to try the WeebRoot firewall but after three tries to get it to install I just gave up. It just would not install at all no matter what I tried.

5. Dieselman

I have never had any trouble installing software. What kind of errors were you getting?

6. Diver

Diver Registered Member

It crashed when I tried it. Leak performance should be similar to Private Firewall, also tested by Matuousec. However, the HIPS functions are off by default. This would reduce the score under Matousec's method.

7. Dieselman

Ok sticking with ZAAS then. Thanks guys.

8. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Well if you know me Dieselman, although I do sincerely try to stick with some of the security software combo's I like, I usually end up with some other combo. LOL. Comodo is my choice of the all the ones mentioned in this thread, but right now I'm back to Windows XP Firewall and using Avast Home with Spy Sweeper and ThreatFire. I have at least been sticking with Avast though, and may go back to only using Comodo Pro with it in the future. I will say however, that it's definitely a very close call for me between using Comodo and ZAAS. Take care.

9. Dieselman

Thanks Word. Comodo is just way too much of a hassle.

10. bigc73542

No errors at all. It just wouldn't do anything. I even downloaded it three different times. Click install and it just sat there.

11. Dieselman

Which site? Are you sure your AV wasnt scanning it first? Sometimes I have tio shut off NOD32 to install a trusted software program especially games. Some companies even tell you shut off your AV.

12. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Stick with ZAAS-the best compromise in my opinion.

Webroot is great,but DSA(the HIPS function which must be turned on to give full protection) can be a bit irritating,just like even the current Comodo.

There is a whole thread about it-do a search.

13. Hairy Coo

Sorry to hear that-pretty inexplicable for a person of your experience-unless you are running Vista 64.

14. bigc73542

Running Vista but not 64. It is the only app I have ever had do that, live and learn I guess.

15. Hairy Coo

Hope this will help-looks like there is a problem with previous versions of Private Firewall and any Vista which would probably include Webroot,which is Private Firewall version 5,5,not 6 as the current original

Edit-Gaff removed

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  16. bigc73542

I really like Vista and this is the only thing that hasn't worked as it should. I have played around with quite a few different FW and AV's on here with no problems at all. But Webroot FW just couldn't get it up it seems.;)

17. Hairy Coo

To cut back on my previous longwinded post-Webroot definitely isnt compatible with Vista,which surprised me.

The current Private Firewall is,but Webroot is a clone of a previous special version.

Certainly wouldnt uninstall Vista for the sake of it:)

18. bigc73542

Vista is here to stay on my computer. No piece of software will change that. Actually I have only found one program I used on XP Pro that won't work on Vista and that is Diskeeper lite defragger. But it doesn't matter since I have found a much better one anyway :D

19. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

The only real problem I experienced with the Webroot Firewall was incompatability with some programs, specifically Comodo BoClean and SuperAdRemover. Setting those apps as trusted didn't help.

Comodo BoClean is kind of an acid test of compatability, since I was never able to make it compatable with Comodo 3 firewall/HIPS either.

Otherwise, I thought the Webroot Firewall offered a good combination of security and ease-of-use.

I had no problems with either installation or uninstallation of the product (XP SP2 OS).

20. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Seems like something on your PC doesn't like that firewall. :D
    Got it installed on my Vista Home Premium and it did run without problems. Installation went smooth.
    There are other firewalls to try out which may not give the same trouble, so it's not a big loss. ;)

21. Hairy Coo

Just double checked -you are right,it will run with Vista!

22. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Webroot runs on Vista operating systems, but the DSA component doesn't appear to work as well as v1.x ( I haven't tried it in XP.) DSA v2 struggles with AWFT but v1.x running without a driver in Vista blocks it easily.

23. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Think I'll pass. :ninja:

24. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

yep using it now very light easy use and no pops in learning mode

25. Diver

Diver Registered Member

There is a lot of stuff out there that claims to run on Vista but does not run right. In one case the developer had UAC turned off and his program caused major problems when UAC was on. He said it was too much trouble to test it with UAC on because changing required rebooting, and that he did not want to develop with UAC on because it might cause "unexpected results".

Check the support forums for the product, probably someone else has the same problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.