Webroot Acquires Prevx

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by Scoobs72, Nov 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rivalen

Rivalen Registered Member

Agree - we know so every little and that is as it should and must be.
    Mfg

2. STV0726

STV0726 Registered Member

At first I was speechless and depressed, then I realized my worst fears have been realized, then I posted a hugely emotional, long rant, then I shortened it to the following guidelines:

1. Be highly skeptical of forum staff making claims that Prevx will not change. Ultimately, they don't have the power anymore; it's all just propaganda.

2. I agree with (mostly) every negative prediction that people have speculated this merge could result in. Why merge with an inferior company that has seemingly nothing to offer Prevx? Who's getting the benefit here?

3. The customer is ALWAYS right. Most of us on here are indeed loyal customers, and we always wanted to be; but keeping loyalty, that has to be earned. Giving us (probably false, loosely based) promises won't keep such loyalty.

We'll see ya around, Prevx.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCz0cd8ibKs

3. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Would it have made a difference if Symantec purchased Prevx instead Lol?

4. STV0726

STV0726 Registered Member

I don't want any entity purchasing Prevx, except one that which thinks on the same page as Prevx.

Honestly, I don't think that said entity currently exists.

So to answer your question...Symantec would be just as bad. Though, if ESET purchased Prevx, then I'd be quite OK with that. NOD32 is true quality, Norton is all about commercial and fooling consumers.

5. Phantasm

Phantasm Registered Member

True.

Worlds best signature + Worlds best cloud working together would not of been a bad idea ;)

6. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I'm not sure what happened to Webroot. I remember back in the day when SpySweeper was really good. I have not used them in about 4 years, but I've seen a few test on PC mag that showed that Spysweeper's detection, and removal abilities are first rate. Is their software really that big of a resource hog, and unstable coding? Are they as bloated as many people on here are making them out to be? I mean.. their detection, and removal ability has been great. Especially with keyloggers. They have taken first place on several occasions on detection, and removal of keyloggers on PC mag. I would like to see them involved in more independent testing. Do you feel Webroot is getting a fair shake? Do you think theirs any chance in them turning their company around? I know you mentioned not liking the way Symantec does business with their customers, and I haven't been very happy with a lot they have done in the past either. I do have to say they have completely pulled a 180 when it comes to the quality of their Security Suite. Symantec got really bloated for a while, but the past three years they've released a completely different animal. I have many of the same worries everyone else has. This could be a good or bad move for Prevx. Time will only tell.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  7. marse.robert

marse.robert Registered Member

Shocked!

For what it is worth, I have placed all my customers on notice that Prevx will no longer be recommended for their installations.

Marse

8. shadek

shadek Registered Member

You usually publish wise posts here at Wilders, STV0726, but in thise case I think you're wrong. Any potential buyer of a company do it for profit, be it ESET, Symantec or a private person. You're speculating and doesn't base your statements on facts, simply because there are none whatsoever at this point. No one can say it's a bad deal for Prevx until we actually see hard proof that the software's gone from good to bad. Telling the buying company (Webroot) to go screw themselves is immature; Wilders is a place for posts with grown-up thougts behind them.

Furthermore, if Webroot have the money and see Prevx true potential (which Webroot claim they do), they also have the ability to make Prevx a lot larger than it is today. Prevx' architecture means that the more users in the cloud, the stronger the protection get. Hence, this might turn into a great deal for the avid fans of Prevx and the existing customers Webroot.

I agree with you on one thing though: I hope to see Prevx in its current state in the future and not merged into a bloated piece of software (hell, I think we all hope that!).

9. Eagle Creek

Eagle Creek Global Moderator

Yesterday I went to InfoSecurityNL, a Dutch security expo/fair. There was a Webroot stand, and I asked some questions about Prevx. Although 'the expert' on the matter wasn't available both times I walked by, another employee answered some questions.

I told him about the concerns people have, especially at Wilders and other security websites about the acquisition. He wasn't very detailed, but he did say Prevx techniques would be integrated in Webroot’s software. Especially the "early life" and network techniques and techniques as SafeOnline. Although he didn’t literally say Prevx’ software would seize to exist, that was what I understood from listening between the lines. He really didn’t want (or could?) say too much about it.

Although I would call this information “semi official”, I’m afraid we won’t see such a slick product as Prevx back on the market in the future.

However, when Webroot’s software indeed successfully incorporates Prevx’ techniques, and it makes a great tool with high detection and high system performance, it’s fine with me either though.

10. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

This is what I thought the word 'integration' meant when I first read it in the press releases.

11. Eagle Creek

Funny man ;).

Of course. But it could mean there will be a "Webroot PrevX" ánd a "Webroot AV with PrevX' techniques". And it seems it only will be the latter.

12. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

After the comments by the CEO of Webroot I'm surprised that there is still negativity here. Her basically said that signature detection was a thing of the past and software like Prevx is the way to go. What I take out of those statements is that Spysweeper will ditch sigs(and save a bunch of cash) and replace it wholesale with the Prevx "engine".

So perhaps we'll have hundreds of people trying to improve Prevx rather than just 20. Pricewise I suppose that economy of scale will kick in and the cost of a license will decrease- even more with sales, rebates, etc.

In short, this acquisition in my opinion may turn out to be a very good thing.

13. Eagle Creek

Yes and no.

The "drop the sigs and go Prevx-like" is a good thing. But in my experience, people install Prevx next to there regular AV/malware product because it such a nice little program. I think many of those people don't want to have a complete webroot suite. It's not only PrevX scanning technique people like: it's the whole product.

On the other hands (and that's basically what I said in post 234): when Webroot’s software indeed successfully incorporates Prevx’ techniques, and it makes a great tool with high detection and high system performance, it’s fine with me either though. It doesn't matter what's it called; it's how it does its job.

System performance + high detection is what counts for most people. If webroot makes a great product due to this acquisition; they make me happy :).

14. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I'll sit on the sidelines for a while and see how things go.:ninja:

15. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I would be very surprised if Webroot dropped their sigs and only had , say Prevx and a firewall. That would be a little too much of a promo problem for the mainstream consumer who wants email and http scanning. Although I can't say if the current Sophos av provides either or both. Webroot can make the eye candy gui and retail box which these days seems to be their calling card. So I think they would see it important from a marketing camapign to still include traditional av sigs and the added enhancement of cloud tech included in Prevx.

16. skokospa

skokospa Registered Member

I hope o_O
    so far were all story and we see how it went hitman pro in tests:thumbd:

17. Eagle Creek

I'm not sure what you mean?

18. skokospa

skokospa Registered Member

Cleanup leaves behind many data files, inactive executable files, and Registry traces. Lacks real-time protection. Not effective against scareware.

h**p://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2348569,00.asp
    h**p://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2009/12/31/my-review-on-hitman-pro-3-5-the-cloud-based-malware-scanner/

19. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

I think prevx could have gone for a couple of more years before being acquired. Their product was getting better and better, utilising 'techniques' other programs didn't have.

With the false positives dropping, and more regular users, and more people providing feedback (from wilders for example), if I were CEO, I would have started entering prevx in AV-C tests, other test sites, and see its popularity grow.

If the developers were running out of ideas, the program was dropping in membership, fair enough, sell the technology. But the program was/is on the way up.

I understand what people are saying. Webroot has the cash, but do they have the reputation?

Message to Webroot CEO. Leave the program as is...please. It has been doing mighty fine without intervention. Want to do something, well utilise your sales team for prevx support, your promotions team to market the product. You're already on to a winner. :)

20. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

And Eagle Creek, great to see a moderator giving some feedback. :thumb:

21. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Thanks Eagle Creek for your positive and constructive feedback :)

22. Eagle Creek

Please keep in mind I don't have any official connection with Prevx, and my replies here are based on my personal opinion :).

23. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

24. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

@Eagle Creek: Yes, we know you do not have connection with Prevx, but your words confirm our fear that Prevx products would seize to exist.

25. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Sorry, but this is incorrect. As I've stated quite a few times, Prevx 4 will exist and Prevx 3 still does exist... I'm not sure where the employee got his information from but it is incorrect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.