webroot 5.5 wants to start with windows

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by david banner, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. david banner

david banner Registered Member

Using this as an on demand scanner but when scanning it tries to add itself to the run at start up and I keep getting flagged to this by WinPatrol. Anyone had that experience?

2. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

Try this:

Open SS window, go to option, then other options,
    uncheck load up at windows startup.

Then double check with Winpatrol's startup display,
    make sure spysweeper is disabled. You may not able to stop or change option of its engine in Windows'service section.

Good luck.

3. david banner

Thanks. I am wondering if i should leave it running all the time. I have TF and ST and avg antispyware as well as spywareblaster. Overkill?

4. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

No, SS is a resource hog.

Absolutely.

5. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

I have used all the apps you mentioned, therefore I can speak from my own experiences.

Overkill ? you bet.

TF is free and is a behaviour blocker, nice companion to any other security apps, I would keep it and use its default options, do not play those advanced rules, a receipt to more stomach upsets.

As to AVG AS, ST and SS. I would use SS fully(including realtime), its realtime covers a wider spectrum of protections( activate all shields).

ST--use it as n on-demand; its realtime is OK but not as comprehensive as SS's.

AVG AS- a dying orphan, has been set aside by its new(not so new now, after 2 years) owner, its guard will detect trojans upon their executions, and is a resource hog, I would use it as another on-demand scanner.

SpywareBlaster--another steam automotive era product, still has its residual value-not consume any system resources, and free. Option is yours, will not make any dent on your daily security w/0 it.

Rule of the thumb: be smart to keep one and only one AS realtime scanner, however, as many on-demands as you wish. Only if you will not be puzzled by different findings sometimes.

Good luck.

6. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

A resource hog? it all depends,

Its realtime consumes between 4,500-4,800 kb

However, during its sweep scan, it may take up to 20,000 kb.

IMO, this is not a bad case.

7. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

You cannot gauge the impact on system performance and memory usage by using task manager.

8. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Spy Sweeper seemed light when I tried the 1 year free trial recently. Ran well with Avast Home and it most likely would run well with TF. It was an older version even though it claimed to be the latest release. The download read 5.5.7.48 and not 5.5.7.103. I do wonder though Perman why you think SS's real time is more comprehensive than ST"s, and covers a wider spectrum of protection with it's Shields active than ST does with it's Guards and HIPS active? Not that I disagree with you, but just curious. Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  9. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Oh ? any other methods ? such as ?

Thanks.

10. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Perman! What about me and my question? LOL. Also would you rather run TF, SS, and Avast Home together? Or Comodo Pro Firewall with Defense+ enabled, and Avast Home?

11. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, Wordward : I have not forgotten you just yet, allow Me to answer this one first.

If you are a power user, like to muscle your cyber strength, I would suggest the latter; CFW's Defense+ will certainly fulfil your wishes, but you may need AS's protection, SS's on demand may fit this shoe.

If you are a lazy man as I am, I would say the first option is about right, providing a firewall to be added onto it. The balanced act, IMO, will be:

Comodo firewall w/0 defense+, TF, SS full (all shields fired up) and Avast home.

Unless you have different thoughts again ?

Good luck.

12. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I see you have my number. LOL. I am however very sincere in all my questions. I just constantly look for a combination I truly like with hopes I will stick with it, but just when I find one I become satisfied with, I read something in here that makes me think I should try something different. I have liked many of the different combinations that I've tried and Avast with Comodo certainly fits that statement, however reading about Threatfire and Spy Sweeper makes me wonder if those two along with Avast or even AVG Pro which I saw did well in the Virus Info thread, wouldn't be more to my liking. Can you say "addiction"? Or more to the point, can you say "obsession"? LOL.

13. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, Wordward:

I have been there two years ago, so do not feel uncomfortable about it, it is actually a growing pain in cyber-life. :)

Addiction ? no, Obsession ? definitely not,. perhaps---an aficionado ? Take care and good luck with your venturing.

14. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

David I use spy sweeper and avg both running realtime alongside my AV with out any resource issues and from testing spy sweeper does flag and quarantine quickly at least my experience.If anything I would run AVG on Demand leave spy sweeper realtime just my opinion.

15. david banner

OK Djohn thanks for the tip

16. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

your Welcome

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.