Webroot 2011

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Techfox1976, Jul 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Is SpySweeper worth installing with this latest version? Can it protect well?

2. tolis14

tolis14 Registered Member

I made an inquiry to Webroot about the trial version of Antivirus with Spy Sweeper and I received a stupid reply, to say the least...I just hate it when customer services treat you like a 5-year old..

3. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

Care to share the words?

4. Techfox1976

Techfox1976 Registered Member

SpySweeper didn't get updated, it's still 6.1 (2010 version) and from the looks of things its possibly at end of life if they don't do upgrades to it. Of course it will still get pattern and engine updates, but huh.

And I'm curious to hear who said what from where also.

The closest I figure for a WAVSS trial is either A: Get WISE and disable/don't use the firewall or other parts (They can be disabled inside the program. It will complain about that with a big red circle, but meh). You'll still have the extra buttons on the main page rather than the minimialistic AV UI, but ahh well. Having a fully-working trial rather than the previous "Scan but don't actually clean" trial seems potentially better anyway.

5. Malcontent

Malcontent Registered Member

Does anyone know how well Webroot detects malware? Nothing is being discussed about it's detection ability.

6. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Well it uses the Sophos engine for the AV and from watching YouTube reviews it is really helping Webroot.

7. Techfox1976

Aye... Sophos combined with internal patterns on both detects and whitelists which makes it work relatively decently. The PCMag review mentioned a number of posts back has detection ratings as well.

8. x ZauX x

x ZauX x Registered Member

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  9. tolis14

tolis14 Registered Member

"We only offer the full package for trial use. If you later decide you want just the Spy Sweeper we can offer just that to you. However, in today's world it is best to have a complete security package and it should all be from the same vendor to avoid conflicts. I hope this clarifies the issue for you"

So Webroot decide for us that we need the complete security, but they also offer for sale the less "secure" solution, which we cannot try on it own. Confused?

10. Techfox1976

They don't say you need. They say it's best. Not everybody wants what's best for them. But I'd expect that back-end wise, it's easier to manage trials of a single thing, especially since the same installer deals with AV, ISE, and ISC, just downloading the portions it needs, so it has to get that information from the keycode back end.

Plus it makes sense marketing-wise. Rule of thumb with sales is to put the product in the customer's hand. All of it. Then if they try the whole thing and only want parts that can come separately, fine. Get the customer hooked on liking the extra parts and it's better for the company, and in theory, better for the majority of customers. Remember, most people are not computer savvy. People who have no idea where the enter key is on their keyboard need to get security products too. (And unfortunately, he reached me... that was a challenge.)

11. Gessen

Gessen Registered Member

Does anyone have an opinion on Webroot Internet Security Complete vs Bitdefender security complete. I already have Advanced System Optimization, so I'm trying to decide if the extra features of BitDefender are worth it or to stick with Webroot. I have access to both and am deciding which to install.

12. chriswiles

chriswiles Registered Member

According to Webroot, they told me SpySweeper will get the new 2011 interface, sooner rather than later.

ie. it's definitely not end of life. I think they just wanted to really push WISC and WISE.

Chris/v3.co.uk

13. ellenssignal

ellenssignal Registered Member

I have been using Spysweeper for many years. I LOVE this program. I have NEVER had ANY malware on my computers. However, in the last few years, I have become frustrated with the program. It has become a HUGE system hog. Years ago, Norton was know as a 'hog'. Well, IMHO, Webroot's Spysweeper has well out done Norton. That is why I am here looking for a replacement, as I am NOT planning to renew Spysweeper. I run it on 6 computers.

I am speaking only about the antispyware. Never tried the antivirus, simply because the antispyware has become such a HOG.

For all the badmouthing Norton has gotten over the years...Norton 360, to me is 'the greatest'.... It is virtually carefree. And for me, their support has improved one million percent !

Norton has told me I do not need 'Spysweeper', but I have been 'afraid' to run without it. I DID notice the Norton has detected 'threats' that SS did NOT.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  14. Techfox1976

Your AV is your AV. You're not using Webroot for AV anyway. You'd need to move to WAV or above for AV from Webroot, so you're not even getting the benefits of 2011.

I poked a bit and I decided that the Sync and Share in WISE/WISC is better for my purposes than any of the other backup plans offered by other companies. My WISC 2011 test image system runs substantially faster than N360 and Webroot doesn't try to tell me everything it did that I don't care about. Regardless of any improvement in customer service, I still can't communicate successfully with the Norton techs in India. The Webroot techs in Colorado work just fine.

Plus, honestly, if you had Norton on the system along with SpySweeper, yeah, your system would run slow. When I put SS on alone, it had minimal impact. N360 alone had a bit more, but not too much. Norton + SS ends up with functions hitting both, so Norton literally checks four times on every file SS scans, and re-confirms the unpacker/protected-memory-decompiler that SS uses for every file scanned. Scanning the files with SS only took 13 minutes. Scaning the files with SS when Norton was on the system took 57 minutes.

Most people switch AV programs because either A: They have no clue how the technology works (Like people who think they are 100% protected and will never get a virus as long as they have a "good" antivirus), or B: There is no remedy for a "feature" of the program that they don't like (For example, I tried a firewall that had very granular control. I could not allow file sharing in my own house unless I turned off the firewall completely. This was a "feature" of the program, but it did not work for my purposes. I like streaming my videos to my TV computer).

So use what you like. :) Be happy, and when you get unhappy, change. Hopefully you don't get unhappy for silly reasons and end up hurting yourself because of a change, but otherwise you're good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.