Webcam LEDs

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Gullible Jones, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just wondering, do laptops' webcam LEDs usually work through software support or through a hardware connection to the the camera? It seems like a no-brainer, but one can never be sure about these things...

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Not sure what LEDs you are referring to but in any case, the answer is likely both. Webcams are little more than the lenses. They may take in light on their own, but the brains are in the software controlled through hardware.

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I think he wants to know how much to trust the activity indicator and whether or not the camera could be "watching" him without the LED lighting up. I cannot answer that, but am curious as well.

4. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Well, indicator LEDs can fail so I think the only way to make sure an integrated camera is not watching you is to put a piece of black tape over the lens! ;)

Or you can go into services and disable any having to do with the camera. And you should be able to disable the camera in the BIOS.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.