Web Browser Hardening (Privacy & Security) revived

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Escalader, Apr 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Been away fishing in other rivers. Got a used notebook and put W7 on it with new hard drive. i5.

Also I'm going to try to separate $ from surfing for research, forums and email. One for banking and anything to do with $. Heavy security.

The i5 I have put chrome on and am test driving it. Seems faster but one small question is about tracking. It offers to send do not track messages to sites I visit and then tells me it depends on the web sites to honour that.

This is quite different than having do not track lists in IE9/10 which (assumption) block these sites?

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

The DNT header/setting is nothing but a mice wish. It just sends a message to the trackers saying you don't want to be tracked, but they're not obligated to respect that wish. So, just block those leeches. :ouch:

3. Escalader

Great idea, but how do I do that blocking in chrome? (I'm testing it)

4. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey Registered Member

5. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

There are a few alternatives, and maybe you could mix them together, depending on whether or not each blocks a few trackers others don't.

Someone mentioned Disconnect. There's Abine DoNotTrackMe, Ghostery, ScriptSafe also has a feature that blocks ads/trackers, and script blocking feature of course also block trackers embedded in javascript code; Adblock and Adblock Plus.

There are always HOSTS files to block ads/trackers. Other alternatives exists, such as Privoxy (I tried this one, but didn't like it that much to be honest... maybe I'll try it again in a near future.).

By the way, aren't you still using Outpost? It also has it own ad/tracker blacklist, correct? I got a vague memory of it. Not sure if it works with Google Chrome, though?

6. Escalader

Yes I'm on Outpost. BUT when user installs OP it detects Avast's web control's and the op feature dealing with ads is disabled. A pita for sure.
    There is an OP work around BUT I have to muck about with OP's config file and then they say no promises OP will work right. Don't like that feature.

What I could try is install OP first and then Avast and then exempt them from each other. That would probably work.

But as I'm working the chrome matters I'm looking for the browser to give me an ad block tool. Like FF.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.