Web Browser Fingerprint

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Compu KTed, Dec 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

What is your web browser fingerprint numbers?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Why?

What's the point?

Why help them track our fingerprints?

3. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

I don't understand the fuss over browser fingerprinting myself. I don't really care if someone knows my OS, my browser or the extensions/settings of said browser, and I'm not one hundred percent trusting of the EFF either. Look, just by using the web alone someone out there is going to know some general information about you. I do not care how many hurdles you put in place to avoid it, someone knows. Out of everything the NSA can do and simply using Javascript which is impossible to avoid on the normal web, browser fingerprinting is the least of worries. If I do worry about fingerprinting, I'm going to make sure I look like several million other people out there and not a unique little snowflake. The more out of the way you go to try and hide, the more you get flagged.

4. Compu KTed

Your already identifiable on the web.
    Is it possible to be 100% anonymous and/or unidentifiable on the web?
    I don't think so.
    I would be more concerned about what Google as a whole , social network sites and search engines collect than what EFF collects.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  5. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Well, mirimir certainly is. Since I wrote the iVPN guides, people have started to mention me by name ;) But how linked is mirimir to my true name, or to my other pseudonyms, or to others whose speech patterns I've learned to copy?

I'm not sure what you mean by "100% anonymous". What's important to me is obfuscating correlations among my pseudonyms, their pseudonyms, and their pseudonyms' pseudonyms ;)

It's possible, but not much fun, because you can't have any relationships.

Even with pseudonyms, relationships get complicated, because you may "know" the same person in different contexts under different pseudonyms. And you can't ask about it without putting your own pseudonyms at risk ;)

I wasn't objecting to EFF's site. It was the idea of posting that associated with this pseudonym mirimir that creeped me out.

6. guest

guest Guest

I think you didn't understood what browser fingerprinting is.
    Is not about your browser, OS, extensions, settings... is about identification and tracking.
    You are giving enough information so a tracker could potentially know in which websites have you been (websites where the tracker is installed), what you have done... but it all depends the importance you give to this information, si this can be an issue or not

7. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

Hmm, actually the way I believe the fingerprinting is done is by studying individual visits to a site such as that above, and collecting the information I spoke of. Your description perfectly matches cookies and tracking done through Javascript such as Facebook, Doubleclick and others. If you are an attacker, in my mind it is far more important to determine whether you have measures such as NoScript in place, rather than what you visited last before you landed at the new website.

8. guest

guest Guest

I'm not sure if we are explaining the same with different words.
    By collecting the information you spoke of they are able to assign you an unique "ID". So they can track you but you are still anonymous, so you are a unique little snowflake. If you block this information to be sent (can be done with an FF addon) you won't be tracked at all, but may break some websites.

9. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

In part this is addressed by Whonix and TOR. Of course a key privacy component is multi hop circuits, but about this thread; TBB (in Whonix or generic VM) create a unique fingerprint and if left alone/default settings all TOR users appear to have the same fingerprint. So, they know I am on the TOR browser but I look like every other generic TOR user. The VM further masks any machine ID's and in fact I change them frequently in my VirtualBox settings for the machine(s). I have clicked on the links mentioned in this thread for some time now. By using a TOR VM I get the same result on several different computers. For what I do I am satisfied with this level of being fingerprinted. I do feel much more "blended in" when I use a TOR VM than I ever would trying to do the same thing on a bare metal windows machine and jumping through hoops. Like Mirimir multiple Pseudo's exist for me, and knowing a Pseudo is something far different than knowing one of us directly!

10. Compu KTed

What is the difference to the Panopticlick project?

Panopticlick is just a demonstration on how web browser data may be aggregated to profiles.
    In contrast, IP check analyzes thoroughly each chance to read data from the user`s browser,
    and intentionally circumvents various security mechanisms. In case of proxy servers,
    web proxies or VPNs, the test may even uncover the real IP address in many cases.
    This knowledge helps web surfers who strive for anonymous surfing to close "data leaks" in
    their browsers. If you are using the Tor or JonDonym anonymizer service, the IP check
    moreover shows you in detail whether the browser settings comply with the recommendations
    of the Tor project, or with the recommendations for JonDonym, respectively.

(source:http://ip-check.info/description.php)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.