Web Av not working properly

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v4 Beta Forum' started by xpsunny, Dec 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpsunny

xpsunny Registered Member

Hello,

1.The malware packed in 7ZIP and RAR format are not scanned via Web AV.
    2.The eset module can be terminted easily. Many malware can use this technique to halt the protection.
    3. Some malwares (named as Statik) by web av are not detected by file av/on demand scan, although heuristics are set to the highest level in each module.

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

1. As in only .zip and not .7z and .rar?
    2. In v4?
    3. Web heuristics are more sensitive on purpose.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

We know ways how to terminate ANY security product, no matter how good self-protection it has. It's possible to make it more difficult for malware writers, but it will never be impossible once you run malware with administrator rights.

4. xpsunny

1. Yeah, and if the the archives are larger than 10 MB many of them are not scanned.

2. Yes, of course! This is ESS v4 beta forum. ;)

3. Well, then on-demand scan should also be sensitive.

5. Marcos

Couldn't it be that you have set some limits for scanning objects / archives? Could you send me a link to such an archive?

You're completely wrong here. By saying this you mean that you'd like to have a highly paranoid heuristics in all modules because it detects more malware, regardless of how many false positives it triggers. Remember that the most paranoid scanner would detect every single file and it would have 100% detection of malware, but I don't think you'd like it.

6. xpsunny

Nope, no limits are set. You can download any 7Zip infected archive. It wouldn't be scanned!

EDIT: I did some more testing. Although RAR archives are scanned to a certain depth, the entire archive is blocked instead of only removing the infected file from the archive.

7. Marcos

I have never said that the 7-zip format is supported.

That's how scanning of archives always worked. I can't imagine that the web protection would download archives, unpacked them to the disk, scanned them, remove infected files and then recompress the files. In theory, this could be possible with the on-demand scanner (even though you'd never get the same result and the program would have to support tons of compression algorithms/methods), but the web scanner continually passes data streams in packets to the browser/applications.

8. qzex

qzex Registered Member

If an unsupported archive version is unpacked then the antivirus should detect it after it is unpacked, so there shouldn't be any problems.

9. redlabour

redlabour Registered Member

:ninja: Is this a Joke? When will support for 7-zip be added? o_O

10. elapsed

Why is it a joke? 7z is one of the most uncommonly use extensions ever. I think I've come across a 7z file once in, um, 6 years? That was a genuine file, having a harmful file in a 7z file would just be even worse as the low popularity would damage the goal of the virus, to spread.

Although I use 7zip myself, I use it for zip files, never for 7z files.

I'm surprised RAR is even supported :D

11. redlabour

redlabour Registered Member

Ever heard about professionals working with Windows and GNU/Linux files?

o_O?

This is Standard at every AV!

12. elapsed

Um, *cough* gzip *cough*

I know, but totally unnecessary, because malware will be in a rar file, um, never? Malware authors, like said above, want to spread their software. They will use the most common software to achieve this: Windows, Internet Explorer, ZIP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.