Web Access Protection vs. localhost:80

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Greendot, Jul 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greendot

Greendot Registered Member

Hello,

I've been scratching my head over this for a few days.
    I have ESET Smart Security installed on a development machine.
    The problem I'm having is that I cannot access my local server no matter how I configure. I am able to access when I connect externally (PC next to me) but now when I hit via localhost or my IP address directly.

I've tried setting up firewall rules to allow it.
    I've set up exceptions in the Web Access Protection settings for:
    localhost
    localhost/*
    127.0.0.1/*

I am able to get at my local web server via a telnet client going directly to port 80. But, the only way I could manage this was to go configure what is a "web browser" in the Web Access Protection settings and set telnet.exe to NOT be a browser (little red X). I can't do this with IE and FF. I need to make sure they're protected when looking at general content.

Is there some way to configure Web Access Protection to not trigger when looking at local IP addresses? Firewall rules do not seem to help. I can completely disable the firewall and this thing is still grabbing onto port 80. I can also completely disable my WWW server and ESET still allows me to hit localhost:80. I've even disabled all of ESET, just shy of uninstalling it, and it is STILL grabbing onto locahost:80.

Any hints?

Thanks,
    Joe

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hello!

I am not aware of an option not to scan specific port for just certain IPs. Nor there is an option not to have web protection for local IPs.

A solution I can think of:

- Goto Personal Firewall -> Protocol filtering . Set the option to :

prot_filt_new_new.png

- Goto Web access protection -> HTTP -> Web browsers and check only the web browsers . Uncheck everythink else.

- Goto Web access protection -> HTTP and remove port 80 from the list . This will make the web access protection not to scan any traffic on that port no matter the IP . I think it wouldn't be a huge security risk if you keep the real-time file system protection active and your browsers updated.

ports.png

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

What oper. system do you use?

4. oVan

oVan Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.