We, The Few, The Knowledgeable, The Experienced

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mike_wells, Aug 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsl

jsl Registered Member

Mike, in another thread you say that I "talk out of both sides of my mouth" for recommending folks use an external disk for storing images. When I said that $50 isn't chump change to an average home users that's hardly taking the position that people never spend money on a computer! Look, I thought I gave a thought out explanation of my position above. I simply thought you'd do the same. That's called having a discussion. I get the feeling you simply like to post your thoughts and not have anyone disagree with anything you say. Personally I like hearing and talking with others and hearing their side. That's how one learns.

In your opening post to this thread you painted a specific picture that most people who buy TI like products don't use it because they are not educated enough. Believe it or not, I actually agree with you when it comes to the COMPUTER education level of the average home PC user. That wasn't my point as I would hope most people reading my post above could see. Rather than just discussing our positions, you jump all over me being sarcastic and using words like "my sniveling", etc. So anyway, I asked you to expand on your position with a hypothetical situation... if you were the owner of a company selling a software product like TI into the home and you believed that most were not using it or not using it correctly, what would you do?

I'm not trying to fight. I'd really like to know what you would do. Maybe talks like this can come up with good ideas for TI to use to improve the product.

2. mike_wells

mike_wells Registered Member

jsl,

As Gerard pointed out on the the other thread this is not the place to entertain a "discussion" which has reached proportions such as ours. If you would like to pursue it further please Private Message me your personal email address. Upon receipt I will do the same for you.

Mike *puppy*

3. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Gotta say Mike. I think you're a tad out of line. jsl was trying to be civil and you misinterpreted his comments.

As to your thoughts about "marketing" folks, I happen to be one that handles both the product (bus/func requirements, func spec, detail design, dev all the way through EOL) and the marketing side of the business. While I might not be excellent at coding and tend to stay out if it, it isn't the black bag you make it out to be (you know it and I know it). So I let the folks that do it well do what they do best.

The other important thing to remember is that if it were not for the "marketing" folks you mentioned, engineers would be solely responsible for developing the product. My guess is that if that occurred many products would either take forever to bring to market or have little use for the end user. Not to mention, engineers would also be interacting with customers which could prove to be an interesting challenge from a CRM perspective due to the eccentricities of most "engineering" types and the way they interact with "non-engineering" types.

I'm sorry you haven't worked with any talented marketers in your day, but there are a fair number out there so let's not stereotype. I don't make a point of lumping engineers into one category despite the fact that there are a large number that don't understand their product's market, its customers, the business and can't seem to hold a conversation with most people.

Back OT, TI is lacking in some key features the competitors possess. After paying $50 for software, having an update come out a little over 30 days later, not receiving a free update until I bitched loud enough and some other long outstanding, glaring issues that need to be taken care of... where else are they supposed to voice their problem and see if others are having the same issue?

Not to mention, Acronis' integrity has been called into question more than once thanks to representatives misinforming customers (about hardware support, in many cases just to make a sale ) and let us not forget the brilliant move to release TI 8.0. Tell me that wasn't shady.

If people pay for a product and it doesn't meet their expectations, they have every right to bitch. It's Acronis' responsibility to meet their needs or make an effort to educate them or change the perception of the product.

If you want a great example of a poorly marketed product, look no further than TI.

4. mike_wells

mike_wells Registered Member

Hi tazdevl,

I really do not think I misinterpretid anyone's comments. I think what might have happened in this case is that you may have missed some reading along the way.

Furthermore, I went way out of my way to be civil and offered up my email address to "jsl" in exchange for his so that we could continue our discussion outside of the forum.

Additionally, even though "jsl" and I may have been at "odds" I was quick to jump in and provide solutions for the problems he submitted to the forum in a different thread.

What seems to be more of the rule around here than the exeception is that people tend to read a reply or 2 on a thread and then enter into the discussion without really ever understanding what led up to those replies.

How you came about deriving my stereotyping of marketing persons is beyond my comprehension. I do not believe for one minute in my discussion with "jsl" that I ever referred to "ALL" in any of my subject matter.

The other incomprehensible issue you mention is my "black bag" approach to coding. Or in your thesaurus is "black bag" synonomous with "complex"? Can you please point me to my own quote for this one. Your logic totally escapes me here!

More important than the rote procedure of reading, is understanding that which you read!

Mike *puppy*

5. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I think this discussion has reached the end of its usefulness, gentlemen. Let's keep it cool and not point fingers - further discussion, if needed, may be more appropriately done through private messages or email.

6. RLK

RLK Registered Member

I also request you fellows get back to discussing the nuts & bolts of TI and computer backup/use since that is when your true expertise shines through. I have learned a lot since my few days here and look forward to learning much more from the knowledgeable people on this forum. I must say it is important to learn about the downside of ATI, as well as the successes.

Thanks!

7. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Yes, that is very true - but there is no need/reason for any personal remarks, etc - which is what I have sensed beginning here.

8. noonie

noonie Registered Member

This was more fun than watching the reruns of GreenAcres with Arnold and Mr Ziffel etc.

9. jsl

jsl Registered Member

"This was more fun than watching the reruns of GreenAcres with Arnold and Mr Ziffel etc."

... pretty funny. :^) Wonder who is who? :^) I for one don't know why this thread turned the way it did. I asked in another thread if I did something wrong. No feedback. Anyway, I'll PM Mike when I have some more time and ask what the problem is.

"I also request you fellows get back to discussing the nuts & bolts of TI"

Good idea and why I suggested above that this thread could have some value in addressing TI's shortcomings for the non-expert user base specifically. I was interested in Mike's (who is VERY knowledgeable about this product and the backup space in general) opinion on what to do based on his opening post for this thread. After near 30 years in software design and development, gui and usability is an area I've kinda focused on and therefore was interested in this topic. But it doesn't look like it's going to go anywhere which is probably just as well now.

10. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

OK lads - I said it was enough but apparently that wasn't clear enough. thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.