We can safely conclude FD-ISR is over?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by EASTER, Dec 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

3.20 burned on a gold plated DVD which in theory should last about 300 years.
    Also locked in my mini safe. Yep, nobody is getting my FD-ISR anytime soon :p

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

There is an old adage, "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride" My guess is the idea there will be a new workstation product is just idle fancy, ie a day dream. No logic here. If the current version was a success it will still be on the market. If it wasn't a success who in the right mind would bring out a new version.

I think it's safe to say, that FDISR for the workstation, is no longer on the market. Period.

I am also getting close to the feeling that it is safe to say this thread may be over.

3. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

be somewhat down to earth,the digital world chances day by day new GEMS come and go and whats HOT now is tomorrow not useable anymore because of changes in architecture and stuff. Curious what lay ahead of us but i have a mindset that in everything always changes and eventually fade. :)

4. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I can remember when I felt the same about my SoundBlaster Pro. Creative labs stopped making them and I was "lucky" to get 2 of the last ones available. I think they are in the basement somewhere --- unused :mad: Strange how we all
    get caught up with such unimportant things..... but let's not argue. I'm, sure we can agree that in 300 years even FD-ISR will have been surpassed , probably

5. rendez2k

rendez2k Registered Member

Probably missed this somewhere in this thread, but HDS has "FirstDefense-ISR Rescue" on the website to purchase which I assume isn't the same as "FirstDefense-ISR Pro"? Also, I purchased 3.21 Build 205 of Pro a few months ago from HDS - is this the latest final version?

Also, anyone know if I can obtain the latest/last Pro installer from HDS?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Yes this is the latest build, I hope you have the freeze function under "Actions".
    FDISR Rescue is a simple boot-to-restore solution, all main features of FDISR are gone, like multiple snapshots, archives, freeze storage, etc.

7. rendez2k

Hmm, I don't see anything that says 'freeze'....

8. ErikAlbert

That is possible, because HDS already sold a modified version without the freeze function.
    So you don't have the original FDISR.

9. rendez2k

So can the original version be obtained? I'm sure it originally had the freeze function when I fist installed it (I remember discussing it on the forum somewhere), then I had to reinstall and got a new installer from the HDS website. I've now stupidly lost both installers which is very unlike me. I've sent an email to HDS and avangate.com which was on the bottom of my purchase email.

10. ErikAlbert

HDS might give you the original version, but don't count on it.

11. Long View

Long View Registered Member

If you don't have the version with Freeze get Returnil which is free and install to a snapshot. The only disadvantage appears to be that you need to reboot via F1 but you do then have an advantages that several different snapshots can be frozen and your snapshot will still be properly fragmented at reboot. There are pros and cons here but if you version hasn't got freeze then this might suit you ?

12. rendez2k

Thanks Long View. I'm already a Returnil user. My main problem is that I no longer have an installer for any version of FD-ISR due to my own stupidity! I'd also like to get what I paid for which was a full version with freeze. I guess I need to wait and see what HDS say, unless the installer is posted ssomewhere else?

13. Peter2150

Any copy of the installer obtained from anywhere but HDS, would by definition be an illegal copy. No discussions or posts about this please.

14. rendez2k

Arh sorry, but I was thinking it might be on some shareware site etc. and I could just put my serial into the demo (which I think was the case when I originally tested it - a demo downloaded from HDS which then converted to the full version with my purchased serial).

15. Peter2150

Probably was the case. I don't think FDISR has ever been on a download site. I suspect HDS will respond postively, if you can identify your purchase.

Pete

16. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I for one will be very glad when this whole matter is finally run it's course and Leapfrog reclaims the throne again.

I don't think this transferred version is going to fly very far for long personally. It's been too very useful and still is in it's earlier authentic form.

In reflecting, i can see the FD-ISR (original) that i have to be useful for a lifetime since i keep some machines strictly independent from any internet connection at all to perform various automation tasks, motion detection security bases, and all other hobbies & chores not even got around to yet.

17. Peter2150

A rather silly book called "Winning through Intimidation" had a very interesting definition of reality.

1. Reality is not the way things should be
    2. Reality isn't the way we wish them to be.
    3. Reality is in fact they way they are.

Easter, I think you need to face a reality. FDISR probably isn't coming back to the workstation market. Server market will probably see a new high end product with a comparable price.

Pete

18. pepperer

pepperer Registered Member

Can anyone confirm whether this is true or not? Also, I can't find a server version of Rollback RX on HDS's site.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2007
  19. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

No matter to those who latched on to Raxco's FD-ISR with "ALL" features plus a stable build. At the expense of sounding too candid on the results that have dribbled out of the other camp, i wouldn't expect a return anyway. That's a foregone conclusion.

The matter i'll be glad is concluded is when it's "modified" version is finally put to rest for good.

As for Leapfrog many of us that still have 100% complete faith in what they have accomplished thru FD-ISR (Authentic), look forward, even in the server arena, of even better introductions. :)

20. rendez2k

I'm sorted - HDS have supplied the 'freeze' version! Will now be backed up everywhere....

21. ErikAlbert

Yes, Immediate System Recovery and Image Backup are a perfect team, both can handle any disaster.
    I hardly use Image Backup/Restore, since I have FDISR, but don't neglect your Image Backup, because one day you might need it, that is my experience since March 2006. :)

22. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

That's prudent wise advice for complete 100% preservation of Windows systems/data/settings and it cannot fail so long as archives are moved and stored isolated in safety from where the C:\ system (snapshots) are kept on your active system.

23. flimbag

flimbag Registered Member

So I don't suppose we can expect to be seeing a copy of FD-ISR Workstation Build 320 on an Abandonware website near you any time soon.

I'm very glad I've got a copy, but I hate to think what I'm going to do when Vista is discontinued... :)

24. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Come on guys -get real-there is a real cult building up about FD.

What next-a Hollywood blockbuster "Search for the Holy FDISR?" with its main prophets being certain disciples from this thread.

Maybe a registered religion for tax purposes?

If it was so wonderful,it wouldnt be dead now.

Unfortunately you can never beat the market -look at the Dow Jones -and the market gave it a thumbs down.

Have to tell you,there all sorts of acceptable substitutes out there!

25. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

In the business world, including softwares, there are always behind the scenes transactions and marketing agreements that change course for products all the time, even the very best ones. So i would have to take exception to any statement suggesting "If it was so wonderful,it wouldnt be dead now."

All we end users/customers of the Raxco versions from Leapfrog can do is only speculate, because marketing policies and financial jockeying within executive circles who make those decisions, doesn't always mean a product wasn't so wonderful, but very likely could have run it's course for the period of time already predetermined at the start of such a project, and then thereafter in the better interest of expanding to new developments, as well as new capital, transitions such as selling distribution and other rights fall right into some plans as laid out beforehand. Just my opinion, but it's a real stretch for me as well as others to accept such a quality product as FD-ISR as not so wonderful, for many yes, but for unseen marketing plans, it's possible it simply finished it's run as planned.

Like i said earlier, all we can do is speculate, but this is one of mine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.