WD2000 SATA format

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Bellzemos, Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bellzemos

Bellzemos Registered Member

Hello!

I have an older hard-drive at home (WD2000 SATA), so I'm thinking of puting it in my PC so that I'll have two HDD's and so that I can have another pagefile.sys on my second HDD and use it for more virtual RAM. Do you think that's a good idea since I can't afford to buy new "real" RAM? And what kind of problems can I face in doing this, will I have to reinstall Windows XP (hope not)? There's also a possibility of a nasty virus being on that old HDD, maybe even in it's boot sector, I'm not sure, so how do I prevent it's spreading to my healthy HDD that I already have installed. I have to do a low-level format, including boot sector and I'm afraid of that virus, so please help me pull through this.

Thank you! :)

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

You don't need a low-level format. Just delete the partition table. Connect the disk without autorun/autoplay enabled, delete the partition table and format. That's it.

Moving the pagefile to a second disk should speed things up, especially if you tend to use sizable portions of it. Should make a difference, but it won't be a revolution or allow you to use so much more system resources.

You can do this without a reinstall - only a single reboot.

Mrk

3. Bellzemos

Thank you for your help! Before I start asking more questions, please tell me how much will I gain with adding another HDD and moving the pagefile.sys from C:\ to the new HDD (in terms of virtual memory, not in terms of new HDD free space). Thank you! :)

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

You'll gain in terms of speed - two hard disks working simultaneously.
    Mrk

5. Bellzemos

As gain I mean what will I gain in terms of lower latency when recording music (for example)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.