watch list

Discussion in 'FileChecker & ID-Blaster Forum' started by herbalist, Feb 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. herbalist

herbalist Guest

Where does FileChecker 1.7 store the watch list and under what names? I'd like to make that part of my system backups.
    Rick

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey Rick,

FileChecker stores the watch list in the below registry key in bold....but it does not store them as names. As part of the {09201-21029B-293849302-CDE2929FF} reg key....they will be String values starting with 0(zero) for the first item on the watch list....then string value of 1 for the next item....and so on.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Settings\{09201-21029B-293849302-CDE2929FF}

Attached Files:

3. herbalist

herbalist Guest

Thanks. Is the checksum data stored elsewhere or is it all in that key? Can I back up the Filechecker watch list by exporting that key, even if it's in encrypted format?
    Rick

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

No....the checksum data is not stored per say. With checksum checking on....for every file on your watch list where the checkbox is checked....checksum computation will be performed on that file. Once you Start Checking!....the files checksum data is loaded into the memory buffer ? and on every cycle(as set by the user via Computation Interval Time setting)....the checked files are then checked for changes in respects to the computation data in memory.
    Yes....the only encryted format entries you will see will be the String values 0(zero) thru whatever number of files you have on your watch list. The below pic represents the changes in the same string value entries....in comparison to my above pic.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2005
  5. herbalist

herbalist Guest

Thanks. That's what I needed. I have 82 files in the watch list and would prefer not to have to re-enter them all manually. I was concerned that it would not recognize the data if encrypted in the event of a full re-install. Had that problems with other programs that encrypt data, Mozilla for one.
    Rick

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Rick....I would also have that concern....so before I stick my foot in my mouth and imphatically answer that you should have no problems....I am going to attempt to run this by the programmer Javacool. All of my answers have been derived by trial and error. I am not associated with the software other than just being a user of the software like yourself and attempt to share my personal knowledge\experiences. I am also going to find out if it's possible to un-encrypt the watch list entries....so when the key is exported....it should then be a lesser chance of screw-up on a full re-install.

Regards,
    Bubba

7. herbalist

herbalist Guest

Thanks. I appreciate that.

8. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

With the current version of FileChecker, you should be able to re-import those entries after a reinstall.

I haven't verified it, but it should work.

So while there isn't a built-in ability to decrypt and then back-up the database, you should be pretty set with a manual restore of those registry entries (although a warning: if any of the paths of those files have changed after the reinstall, it could potentially cause issues or tons of alerts).

Best regards,

-Javacool

9. herbalist

herbalist Guest

Thanks. I'll add that to my backup set. I appreciate you taking the time.
    Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.