Was secure zone created? How to correct error in reported hard drive size?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by egelb, May 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. egelb

egelb Registered Member

I am using v8.0 build 826 with Win98 and 256 MB of RAM.

I initally installed the program from the CD that came in the box and then upgraded to this build. I do not recall whether I did a clean install or installed over the earlier build on the CD.

My problem:
    I tried to create a secure zone on the C drive, so that I could use the bootable rescue disks and the startup recovery manager.

The wizard for creating a secure zone got through the resizing of the hard drive. However, during the partition creation an error message/dialog box appeared. It said that the program failed to write to sector 0 of hard drive 1.

I selected Ignore and then Ignore All and the process continued to the end. I then rebooted and a second error message appeared. It said that a secure zone failed to be created.

To check, I opened My Computer, right clicked on the C drive, and selected properties. It showed that the total size of the C drive was smaller than it had been before I attempted to create a secure zone. That suggests that a secure zone was created.

Before attempting to create a secure zone, the size of the C drive was a little over 10 GB. I set the size of the secure zone to 2.827 GB.

Now, after attempting to create a secure zone, the size of the C drive is 7.88 GB.

To further check, I opened the Manage Acronis Secure Zone tool and the wizard asked if I wanted to create a secure zone, but it did not ask if I wanted to delete one. That suggests that there were no secure zones.

Was the secure zone created?
    If it was created how do I find it and modify or delete it?
    If it was not created, how can I get the reported size of the hard drive, as reported in My computer/C Drive/properties, to be correct?

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello egelb,

Right click "My Computer", select "Manage" and under "Storage" select "Disk Management". If this reveals a 2.827GB Acronis Secure Zone then right click on it and select "Delete Partition". You will then be left with 2.827GB of unallocated space. To recover this back to your C: partition, follow the procedure in Post #40 of the thread titled <HOW TO DO IT: USING ACRONIS 8.0 SIMPLE?>.

Regards

3. egelb

egelb Registered Member

You say:
    "Right click "My Computer", select "Manage" and under "Storage" select "Disk Management". You will then be left with 2.827GB of unallocated space...."

When I right click "My Computer", there is no "Manage". I have Win98. Perhaps this works in WinXP.

Is there another way to delete the partition.

Al

4. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Failed to write to sector 0 sounds like "boot virus protection" might be enabled in the bios. If so, the procedure referred to by Menorcaman might fail also. (It could also be the infamous harmless message associated with removable or flash drives)

Last edited: May 13, 2005
  5. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Win98? Hmm - wouldn't FDISK.EXE do the trick then? You might need to reboot into DOS mode though before you are allowed to delete the SZ partition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.