Was it a safe thing to do?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ams963, Jul 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Hi,

Sandboxie gave me these prompt windows. And I've double clicked to increase the migration file size both times.

sbie.PNG
    sbie1.PNG

Was it a safe thing to do? I mean no harm done right?

Best Wishes,
    Iron Man

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Nothing bad, on the contrary you made it work better for you

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

The migration size thing is about performance, not security.

If your migration size is X and your sandboxed program tries to write to a file of size X it will migrate to the sandbox.

If your sandboxed program tries to write to a file of size X+1 the write will fail.

If your max file size is huge and your program writes to that huge file you're going to end up with two versions of a large file, which eats up your HDD space and will use up a lot of I/O.

4. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Iron man, I think you were installing a newer or Beta Firefox, right? I remember seeing those messages for urlclassifier3.sqlite when doing that in the past.

In addition to what Hungry man said. If you ignore/close SBIE2223, Sandboxie will use your original Firefox urlclassifier3.sqlite and make it read only instead of copying the file to the sandbox. If you change the size, which can be done by double clicking on SBIE2223 message, the file will be copied into the sandbox.

Bo

5. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I don't know. I have installed Firefox two days ago. Have set it to manually download as it is forced to run in a sandbox. Yesterday those window prompts appeared out of no where. I have never in my a whole year of using sbie and ff experienced such a prompt. I've had start/run prompts but this? Never.

This is the update window of Firefox. Do you think this is the right stable release? If not I will download and install Firefox again.

Attached Files:

6. bo elam

Iron man, I have seeing those exact prompts when playing around with beta versions of Firefox when running the installer sandboxed. Usually, I ignore the SBIE message by closing it, Firefox installs sandboxed alright and the urlclassifier3.sqlite is not copied to the sandbox.

Two things I can tell you for sure, we should only see those SBIE messages when installing something in a sandbox by running the installer and Firefox will not upgrade sandboxed. When you installed Firefox 2 days ago, how did you run the installer?

Your about Firefox shows same version as mine.

Bo

7. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I ran the installer as I always do. I've never faced those messages before. You can see the about window that I'm indeed using the final release and not the beta version. I'll install again. Let's see what happens.

8. bo elam

Make sure forced programs is disabled.

Bo

9. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Okay this is unexpected. When I started my pc a few minutes ago, sbie prompted window asking to add S600Mnt.exe to the Start/Run restriction. I did:
    untitled2.PNG

When I started my pc again this happened:
    untitled.PNG

10. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Okay.

11. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

12. bo elam

Iron man, getting those prompts doesn't mean there's anything wrong with your SBIE install, you just got to make sure that when you allow a program to start/run, it is legit. I did a quick search for S6000Mnt.exe and it seems safe. Maybe just to make sure, upload it to Virus Total and find out what program in your computer uses that exe. Thats what I would do.

Bo

13. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Okay installed again. And found the reason and solved the problem.

When I choose this: Firefox.PNG sbie forces the whole directory of Firefox to start and run in a sandbox.

But when I choose these: fireofx2.PNG sbie only forces those two to run in a sandbox instead of running all the others like crashreporter.exe , chrome.manifest etc. in the Firefox directory.

Same thing with IE. If chosen from Browsers the whole directory runs in sandbox along with S6000Mnt.exe It is run anyways at pc startup: IE.PNG

14. bo elam

I don't force Plugin container, there's no need to do that. Plugin container will run sandboxed in the FF sandbox when Flash player is required even though its not forced.

Bo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.