WarpDisk

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by kosamja, Jun 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kosamja

kosamja Registered Member

Is WarpDisk best software to make slow pc faster or is there some better software?

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

To be honest I have never heard of WarpDisk actually, and I doubt it will make your PC any faster (it's not like it will put in more RAM and a new CPU right?), but what you can do that is safer and probably more effective, is to clean out your browsers temp, cache etc, and defrag your hard drive IMO. And that's what I would have done if I were you :)

3. kosamja

kosamja Registered Member

4. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

I was curious and I did try it. It really improves boot time and performs defrag in real time but I have noted the following issues :
    • Sometimes all drives do not appear in the console
    • All drives do not appear in the settings
    • I have trouble ejecting an external HDD, Windows won't release the lock while it worked fine before installing it

5. SweX

SweX Registered Member

It's nice that it speeds up the boot time, but that doesn't show if the PC got any "faster" performance wise, as you're not actually doing anything on the PC while booting up.

Sorry for sounding so skeptical :)

6. MerleOne

Actually it does something after the PC has booted, it defragments in background all files from all partitions (according to the user-defined settings). It rearranges files so as to boot faster next time and there is supposedly a HDD caching system. Since my PC was already well defragmented, I didn't notice any real performance improvement, just the boot time which is faster.

The background defrag seems nice, but with this kind of tool, one has to wait for a few weeks of use to be sure everything is OK.

Also it installs a non signed Microsoft driver, which is something I don't like.

7. mlauzon

mlauzon Registered Member

The following was posted to another forum where someone was asking about it:

For me i have very real concerns about implementing a "file system" level tool made some random mob.

All the claims they make can be accomplished by a normal defrag

In fact some of their claims, most notably "The page file cannot be defragmented by conventional defragmenters, at least not with Windows 7. WarpDisk will defragment the page file during boot if it is fragmented." for one is completely false. Install any modern defragmenter (like IOBit Smart Defrag) and it will offer a startup defrag that defrags the pagefile, MFT, hibernation file etc...

This is just some person trying to charge money for what is, in fact a normal defragmenter that claims to prevent further defragmentation, which other products, like Diskeeper, Raxco PerfectDisk, already do.

As for other claims "Makes a slow PC boot faster by doing read-ahead during boot", well windows already does that, its called Prefetching, combined with Superfetch....so yet more bs

But yeah if you want to pay for something for which most is already built into windows, or can be added for free with IOBit Smart Defrag, you go ahead

Snake Oil

8. MerleOne

Actually I find that Warpdisk is the boot optimization tool that worked best on my XP system, and also on a Vista machine. The only drawback that I see is that I have to remember to desactivate the background defrag when I perform an image using VSS, because VSS & Defrag don't mix well in some instances.

I have tried old version of PerfectDisk and the most recent SmartDefrag but on my system Warpdisk was slightly better, maybe also because it is an old machine, I guess with recent drives, the differences are less visible.

9. mlauzon

mlauzon Registered Member

So, I decided to try it, I uninstalled Smart Defrag, which I use on my desktop, and had on my laptop -- which is what I am currently using as I am out of Toronto at the moment -- my laptop specs are as follows:

Intel Core i7-3610QM 2.3GHz (w/ Turbo Boost 3.3GHz); I've seen it go higher than that.
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    750GB HDD; there are two of them, both 750GB to make 1.5TB, C: is the OS drive, etc, while D: is just a storage drive.

It is faster than Smart Defrag, and it did shave about 5 seconds off the startup. I do plan on doing aftermarket upgrades to this laptop after the warranty expires, replacing the C: drive with an SSD, and moving the storage drive to something bigger like 1TB or higher.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.