WARNING!! Shortcut on my Desktop!!!

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Telstar, Oct 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Telstar

Telstar Registered Member

Happened about an hour ago. Here I was, minding my own business surfing my favorite Forums (Wilders and....those other guys too). Upon closing the window I noticed a new Folder Shortcut on my Desktop. I did not put it there!!

The image was a FOLDER...with the words...TryMedia....printed just like that.

I DID NOT open it...instead sent it immediately to my Recycle Bin.

so far:
    >An Ad-aware scan found no new objects!
    >Spybot found nothing unusual
    >HiJackThis did not find an suspicious items.
    >a file search finds nothing with that name

Putting my cursor over the folder (without clicking of course) in Recycle Bin to show it's description shows a file of 444 Bytes and it also says "Folders: Active Mark"

A Google search found some links that includes the name "TryMedia" including this strange one:

http://www.sharewareorder.com/Worms-2-download-21602.htm

and this one indicating a company Active Mark:
    http://www.trymedia.com/noflash.shtml

But, the big issue is how did that Shortcut magically appear on my Desktop? VERY SCARY STUFF!!!!!

Could be harmless.....also could have unleashed who knows what calamity had I opened it.

Anyone know anything about this??

Telstar

2. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

Did you search the Registry? If not I would just to see if it left anything.

3. Telstar

Good idea beetlejuice.

I have Windows XP Home and I don't mess with the Registry too much...a little over my head. But, is there an easy way to do a Registry search for this intruder without mucking things up??

Thanks,
    Telstar

4. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

Hi Telstar. I don't have any expereince with XP at all, but from what little I've seen of it, it doesn't work the same as 98SE. Better wait until someone with XP knowledge comes along. Wouldn't want to steer you the wrong way and do something we shouldn't.

5. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Telstar,

To search the registry:
    Start > Run > type regedit > OK
    When the registry editor opens select My Computer at the top. Then press Ctrl-F and type the expression you want to look for in the Find Window. If something is found, the F3 key will make it look for the next one.

Before making changes in the registry make a Manual Restore Point fro backup purposes.

Regards,

Pieter

6. Telstar

BINGO!!!

Excellent instructions Pieter.....

Ok, found in (F3 Key): HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE_SOFTWARE_TRYMEDIA SYSTEMS
    attached to it is a Folder>Active Mark Software>with this series attached>A83796461D3E346E7A3E19954248E61D

and in the window area to the right is:
    NAME: ab (Default)
    DATE: (value not set)

So, there it is..I didn't change anything yet.

What would I do next??

I have a manual Restore Point I made yesterday, is this sufficient or should I make another one before making any changes you suggest?

Thanks,
    Telstar

7. Pieter_Arntz

Hi Telstar,

If you are sure that Restore Point is from before the file turned up and you did not make any important changes afterwards, I'd use System Restore. I wonder if you could send me a copy of that file before you trash it for good. (Please use the email-address in my profile)

I'd like to have a closer look. I'll keep you posted if I unearth something worthwhile.

TIA,

Pieter

8. Telstar

Pieter, as you've noticed I seem to find a question (call it a caution) in everything you ask me to do:

Yes, the Shortcut only appeared on my Desktop around 4 p.m. today....Restore Point was made yesterday after I did all Ad-aware, AV, HJT, Spybot, Panda, Housecall, Norton scans and felt comfortable that I had nothing on my system. Then this TryMedia showed up today.

I assume then that by using System Restore this would automatically "delete' the file??

What would be the machanics of this? Could I 'right click' and copy the file and then post it in the email? I just 'right clicked' and I see 'Export'.

Let me know exactly how to get a copy to you by email please. Yes, I can get your address.

Telstar

9. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Did you ever go to windows update site for some security patches, as there are against others posting on your system?
    Mind thast with a system restore they could be gone so a new visit is advised to check!

BTW: does your rightclick have a menu-option to zip the file? If so please use that before attaching it in the email.
    Just extra security, as you might after sending have a copy in your email sent folder!

10. Telstar

Hi Jooske,

Excellent Point! My last Windows Update was last week (KB828750 and KB828026) and my System Restore Point was yesterday....would I lose those Critical Updates?
    It would be no problem to simply go back to Tools> Windows Update and let it tell me if Updates are required. As of this morning I have NO updates to download.

Thanks,
    Telstar

11. Telstar

Jooske asks:
    I just tried to right-click the file in the Registry and do not see WinZip capabilities in the pop-up.

Telstar

12. Pieter_Arntz

Hi Telstar,

System Restore never deletes any files. Windows may not be able to find certain things since the pointers in the registry are gone, but that is a different story.
    Everything you did, installed etc. before making the Restore Point will be in working order.

To email a file in most email-clients you just write an email and then use the Attach (button, function, command) to send the file along.

Regards,

Pieter

13. Telstar

Sorry to sound so naive but, in the e-mail, clicking Attach will not take me to Registry files. I could export it to My Documents though.
    How do I get the File from Registry into the email?
    A reminder that I moved the Folder - Trymedia - to my Recycle Bin.
    Telstar

14. Pieter_Arntz

Hi Telstar,

I would need the folder. In order to attach it you would have to restore it from the Recycle bin.
    If you think it is too dangerous, don't do it on my behalf.
    In that case just use System Restore and consider the episode a happy ending.

Regards,

Pieter

15. Telstar

I think it's important for you to examine the Folder Pieter in the hope it might help others if this turns out to be something harmful or malevolent.

The thing that bothers me the most is the way it suddenly appeared on my Desktop...this is what makes it suspicious. Whether it contains anything harmful is the question. So I just want to take all precautions and tread carefully.

How about I do this:
    >Restore the Folder from Recycle...it should restore back to Desktop.
    >Then attach it to the email to you
    >Then return it back to Recycle
    I should NOT need to open the Folder, correct?

After that I can do a System Restore.

What do you think?
    Telstar

16. Pieter_Arntz

Exactly!!

I would appreciate it very much. :)

Regards,

Pieter

17. Telstar

Ok, it's on it's way. I couldn't attach the File Folder but I did attach the four components contained inside.
    Telstar

18. Telstar

Another question please. How come I could not attach the "Folder" but could only attach individual files. From what you know, is there a way in Outlook Express to attach a Folder containing files?

Also, FYI I scanned the Folder with my NortonAV before restoring from Recycle and it came up clean.

Thanks,
    Telstar

19. Pieter_Arntz

Thanks Telstar,

You're my hero of the day.

Not being able to attach folders is normal. That is probably why Jooske asked about WinZip. By zipping up a folder you can attach it completely.

Regards,

Pieter

20. Telstar

Pieter,

Just to let you know. I just completed a System Restore to my setpoint on Monday.

TryMedia Folder is still in Registry but, who knows how long it's been there? Something triggered it however to place that Shortcut in Desktop but I don't think it's going to be a problem. I'll just leave it there. I would think that in the Registry window to the right where it says Name: ab (Default) and Data: (Value not set) this makes it an inactive file? I don't know, my guess.

I'd be curious if you found anything worthy of concern.

Thanks very much for all your time and patience. I find these exercises informative, instructional and even entertaining.

Sure am glad I found out about Wilders Forum the other day, wish I had known sooner

Best regards,
    Telstar

21. Pieter_Arntz

Hi Telstar,

It could be a while before I can let you know about the files. I'm at work right now and rather not open any suspicious files. ;)

I'll do so as soon as possible though. That may also provide us with an answer about the registry key.

Regards,

Pieter

22. Telstar

Ok, sounds good!

For now, over and out!

I have this thread set for notification so if you should ever make another reply I'll be informed.

Regards,
    Telstar

23. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Do you have any winzip or rar on your system or easyzip, anything which allows you zipping a file/folder?
    With that you could zip a file or folder and send it as a whole in stead of the separate content files of it.
    And the safety reason i mentioned, for yourself, as well as preventing destruction by Pieter's secyurity scanners for instance.
    If a nasty is zipped, in most cases it can't run nor do harm. If there are cases it can, let me know to be extra warned!
    I would speak of a sleeping trojan if it is inside a zip.

Alternative is also like Pieter says, just click attach and you send it away and might like to delete the message from your sent folder in case you do keep copies there (i do, that's why i zip attachments) if you don't keep sent copies don't make it a point and just do as Pieter says.
    Sorry for the interruption.

You seemed uptodate with the windows update so now the idea how you got that thing on the desktop.
    Back to Pieter's findings first.

Are you sure you never downloaded/ installed anything from that gameing site from that URL in the first messages?

24. Telstar

Hi Jooske,

If successful, I was able to send Pieter, with a cc to you, a WinZip of the TryMedia Folder. Check your email.

There is ONE possibility.....I installed a small Chess Game the other day called....PAWN...308K. The download site for this game however is.....Download.com

Could this then be the culprit??

I frequently watch TechTV's "Call for Help" and they mentioned about this free chess game download. See here:

http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/freefile/story/0,24330,3538250,00.html

http://download.com.com/3000-2119-10198876.html

I downloaded the file to my Desktop I believe it was last Friday or Saturday (the mysterious Desktop Shortcut appeared after that).

In checking the TryMedia site where their games are listed I do not see "Pawn" in their catalogue of games but could there be a connection??

http://www.trygames.com/

I'll let you absorb this information for now. I'm checking Google to see if there is some connection.

I'll be watching for replies at this thread if you have anything.

Thanks,
    Telstar

Added URL tags

25. Telstar

Hi Jooske,

I wanted to respond to a couple of other questions you asked.

Jooske, by the time I read your most recent reply I had already deleted them from my OE Sent Folder however, as I indicated, I found the TryMedia Folder in my Programs which is the one I WinZipped to you and Pieter.

Yes, right after I did the System Restore I went to my Tools>Windows Update and a scan found NO Critical Updates needed. All the ones up to last weeks KB828750 (MS IE Cum Patch) and KB828026 (Windows Media Security Update) were still there.

Seems to be a strong "Game" connection here. Between the TryMedia/ActiveMarkSoftware and the "Pawn" Download.com game I installed. hmmmmm...the plot thickens.

Telstar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.