Warning on recent Windows update.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by nine9s, Dec 10, 2014.

1. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

KB3004394 still showing for Windows 8.1. Was it only pulled for Windows 7?

2. hawki

hawki Registered Member

I have it installed on Windows 8.1 64x and using Emisoft IS 9 = No Problems.

The Silverlight Update causes my Silverlight to Crash, Had to uninstall it. Malwarebytes has repeated the problem on it's machines. It crashes Silverlight even with no Malwarewbytes products installed.

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

4. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

From http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/3004394/en-us:

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

6. snippits

snippits Registered Member

My wife's laptop with windows 7.1 64 bit installed was acting all kinds of weird today. Kaspersky application control was constantly popping up for everything because windows files had been modified. I did a system restore to before the windows updates, and the laptop is running fine now.

For the time being I have disabled windows updates until Microsoft gets this mess straightened out.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  7. porrkanon

porrkanon Registered Member

it seems my strategy of waiting for a week or so before installing win updates paid off (yet again) then

8. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I will start to use this strategy also. I did not encounter problems so far, but all these problems reported from other users make me think twice before next patch Tuesday.

9. bcsman

bcsman Registered Member

I also wait a week or so before installing new updates. My Win 7 computer did not show the 4394 update and my Win 8.1 has it listed but in the optional updates. If its optional I am leaving it alone. Anyone else have it listed not as recommended but optional in Win 8.1??

10. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Same kind of problems here. Tried to update this morning my Laptop Windows 8.1 and immediately after reboot the computer was sluggish and windows messages saying that "some files were missing?" Restore to a image from last week and everything is fine again. Grrrr Microsoft:thumbd:

11. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I can't connect with Windows update at all, I have windows 8.1 pro 64 bit which has a tile in the start menu for the Microsoft store that says I am not online:blink: . So in a way I am lucky I don't have patches that are automatically downloaded and installed and potentially stop my computer from booting up without my doing a thing. I am going to also waiting till Microsoft fixes all their patches, which might be a long time.

12. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

same here.

13. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I am not sure they'll ever sort this out. I'm glad I wait at least a week before applying updates.

14. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

What makes me mad is that I never encounter any problems with malwares in 15 years now. I would say that "Windows Update" is worse than malware then.:eek:

15. Daveski17

It can certainly have a similar effect. I'm with you on this, I'm more concerned about the update borks than malware.

16. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

After installing the updates on Wednesday the 10th Process Hacker wasn't recognizing Windows processes.
    But on the 12th there was another single update (KB3024777) and after reboot things were back to normal.

17. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

LOL
    these stupid update problems, almost every month, are really becoming a demonstration of the stupidity of Microsoft.

18. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I had no problems on two W7 machines with the most recent updates. But it is increasingly clear that I should either be waiting like many of you are doing, or imaging the drive prior to updating, so I can quickly revert if I find myself borked. I have on occasion done the image first routine, then grew lazy. Looks like I need to go back to my old, safe ways.

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I have been doing the image routine myself, but after 4 or 5 months of this, I finally decided to just set Win Updates to notify but ask before downloading and installing. A 7 or 8 day wait then should solve most of the problems, because by then, MS will either pull or fix the bad ones. Seems to be working so far anyhow... But I still have my images to fall back on if needed.

20. Daveski17

It's better to be safe than borked. ;)

21. Pablo87

Pablo87 Registered Member

hello folks,

I had to do a clean install of windows 7 and upgrade to 8
    but when updating windows i get at nearly the end
    'Error configuring windows updates'

i dont know what to do now

22. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

for those who can not connect with windows update after you allowed these recent updates try changing your dns settings top use IP addresses 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (google) just temporarily once you can connect and update again reboot and then change them back to auto or whatever you had before. it seems something odd happened after these updates to mess it all up. this worked for me on a number of systems and once i changed the settings back the systems were fine.

23. snippits

snippits Registered Member

On my wife's laptop with Kaspersky installed, application control was having a tizzy because so many windows files had been modified. I knew right then and there that it was either Kaspersky going wonky, or it was another botched windows update, which the latter proved true. Fortunately, Kaspersky was putting all the windows files in application control trusted from what I saw, so I was able to do a system restore which fixed it.

24. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I couldn't agree more Page, backing up before updating can be a waste of time (20-30 minutes for me) but one might have to invest more time if the updates are causing problems... I should also add that I've enjoyed a long period of trouble free updates on both my Vista and Win 8 machines.

25. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

There is one aspect of this image-before-update routine that I find less than ideal. It results in having an image that is not updated.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.