Warning! Don't Use Disk Clone If Target Is USB !!!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by deniz252, Jun 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deniz252

deniz252 Registered Member

I am (Computer Engineer) 22 years in business. Know well what I am doing.

What This morning with Acronis 9.0 T. I. Entp. Ed.

Had 4 HDD on system. Plugged 5th into USB.

System recognized as well as should. Acronis to...

Selected Disc copy tab. under Windows
    Sourcce HDD2 PSize: 160GB (60GB is ued) - Target USB HDD Psize: 120GB (Empty).

Selected manual mode. Relayout target partition size (while data is only 60GB) to 80GB.

Sofar all goes well... Until Acronis popups with an message "Reboot is required" Sureno problem, I click to "reboot".

System rebooted.

Before Windows started, under MSDOS mode Uncle Acronis started the copy job as - READ HERE CAREFUL! NOW THE FILM STARTS FIRST! :

Acronis resized my all importants HDD which does not beelong to the scenario... and started to copy all data from source disk!

My USB target disk was still empty (Which should be overwritten with source data)

My 4th disk is completly gone !

Because Aronis recognized USB HDD under Windows well but after rebooting Acronis started to format NOT THE USB HDD - MY OTHER HDD WHICH IS A REAL ENGINEERING DISASTER!

1) IT'S SHOULD AT LEAST WARN ME AND ASK ME WITH AN FINAL CONFIRMATION (NEVER MADE ON FORMAT UNDER MS DOS)

2) SYSTEM HAD 5 DISK. ON THE TEMPORALY BATCH FOR PROCESS IT SHOULD POINTED TO 5TH DISK! WHY IT HAS STARTED TO FORMAT 4TH DISK?
    THIS IS A SECONDARY ENGINEERING DISASTER

3) I COULD NOT BELEIVE. THAT'S WHY I REPLAY SAME SCENARIO WITH OTHER 5 DISK TO MAKE SURE THAT IS FROM ACRONIS SITE.

YES THIS IS NOT U BUG!

THIS IS ABSOLUTLY A ENGINEERING DISASTER! AND SHOULD BE FIXED AS URGENT! OR USB HDD FUTURE SHOULD NOT BE OFFERED!

I DO NOT HAVE A COPY OF DELETED HDD. A COMPLETTE DELETED PARTITION SER,ARCH WILL TAKE ALLMOST ONE WEEK WITH ACRONIS DISK DIR.

SO BE AWARE TO COPY DISK TO ANY USB IF REBOOT IS REQUIRED DO NOT AGREE! YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR DATA ON LAST DISK (BECAUSE ACRONIS THING THAT IS THE TARGET USB DISK!

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Sounds like True Image enumerated the disks incorrectly OR you chose the wrong disk as the destination disk. It is always good to give your drives unique names instead of leaving them with the default "Local Disk" as the name.

And it is better to use the bootable Rescue cd to do these True Image operations.

I've not read of any other users running into the situation you describe.

3. deniz252

deniz252 Registered Member

This is not the case! I usually don't do that type jobs if more then src & target disks are connected on the same system. It just a fatal trusting error! I trust Acronis. I always thing that way that Acronis will not screw up the customers like Microsoft, because of aggressive stress marketing and market concurrency. Microsoft publishes applications which are not completely done. Waits for feedbacks and cargo (which contains loosed hairs from current users:) then they offers patches.

Acronis made that type a fold. But this is not just a bug... This is A COMPLETLY ENGINEERING DISASTER.

If you clone disks system writes the HDrive mapping into root drive. After reboot it's came as "run once" scenario with resize partition and copy job.

But the error is: on the drive map, if you have more disk as source and target, probably it will work to but if the target disk is an USB disk, drive mapping calculates as physically disks and resize and copies into last disk Nr 4. But last disk Nr 4 is for example your driver disk. Because USB disk is not loaded, Acronis does not inform you about. It just starts with formatting last disk Nr4. But this is not the target one! This is the main mistake.

It should not start after MSDOS environment without displaying the target with confirmation. + My board is configured with USB enabled on MSDOS.
    How about if the user's board configured USB MSDOS is disabled. That is another disaster.

Just Try! I thought also I did a mistake. That's why I reapply same job with other for disks. It formatted the wrong disk again. Ten I post this message.

I am a Computer Engineer with a master degree from Long Island University New York City. + MCSA.

I use to backup and load partitions since 1995 before Symantec owned Ghost and before IC3 is written. I know what I am doing and talking about.

I develop also some applications and codes. I am not happy with blaming another developer. I respect well. But if this is a case where user's data are in danger that should be fixed as urgent!

Regards.

4. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Dear Me :cautious: I've never read so much drivel in my life :cautious: I wont sugest your talking rubbish, :cautious: because it may well be true, but Heavens on Earth was it really required to Yell and Shout before what I will say :cautious: Is that its Evident you never even considered contacting Acronis Technical Support :cautious: This I'll stake my House On :cautious:

Also you Said
    In Actual Fact it MSCE (Microsoft Systems Certified Engineer) :cautious: As you would be aware of it your statement to this fact was true :shifty:

5. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Really sorry to hear this has happened to you, but I have to say, it sounds like finger trouble to me.

F.

6. DwnNdrty

:D :D Nicely put. :D :D

7. shieber

shieber Registered Member

If you set up your restore from within win, a reboot is required for the pc to bootup in linux, which is the OS acronis uses for restoration. If you use an ATI recovery CD, it just boots Linux from the get go.

Linux and Win won't necessarily recognize the drives in the same order, but the manually given drive names should all stay the same -- Call them Charlie, lucy, snoopy --or whatever names will help you know which disk you want to do what to.

Always a good idea before restoring to be sure you have a backup of all your dirves. If you accidently overwrite one unintentionally, you can still get it back.

8. SloPoke

SloPoke Registered Member

As a "Computer Engineer" you should also be aware that MSDOS is not present in any Microsoft operating system since Windows 98.

9. GroomLake

GroomLake Registered Member

You say “I am (Computer Engineer) 22 years in business. Know well what I am doing.”

Well, I have no degree and no certification of any kind. I have been in the business for 46 years. I hate that term. The reason I have been successful is that I use common sense.

10. DwnNdrty

Ouch! ... That hurt. :D :D

11. kccomp

kccomp Registered Member

I believe you mean "Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer"... it's ironic that you would make such a typo while criticizing someone else.

By the way, MCSA is "Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator" and is a valid certification.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/certifications.mspx

KC (also an MCSA2003)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  12. kccomp

kccomp Registered Member

Just because the original poster obviously has English as a second language and is understandably upset, doesn't mean you should dismiss his statements in such a pejorative fashion.

13. kccomp

kccomp Registered Member

While this is indeed true, it's irrelevant in the OP's situation because he had queued actions in the Windows GUI to be performed after reboot during the pre-boot phase, which is also done by a Windows based executable. The pre-boot phase is the same phase used to run, for example, a scheduled CHKDSK of the boot volume.

14. shieber

shieber Registered Member

But the resotre runs in Linux.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.