wanting to try linux mint

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by topo, Dec 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. topo

topo Registered Member

after reading mrkvonic reviews i sure want to try linux mint. i have hp compaq sr1365cl, 1.5 gb ram, 80gb hd with 61gb free, amd athlon(64)xp3300+2.4ghz with 64 mb intergrated video graphics. release notes say pae required for 32 bit iso. i don't know what that means. i want to dual boot(i want to keep my 32 bit xp). do you think this will work on my machine? use is email, surfing, watching youtube, streaming movies,etc.(hulu,crackle,etc.) thanks for your help.

2. fblais

fblais Registered Member

You can dual boot with XP and a 64 bits Linux distro, as far as your hardware can run it.

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Try a Live session 1st before installing. That'll tell you the hw recognition of Mint ootb. Then decide.

4. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Linux is fun, have fun with it. I never did dual boot but im sure it's pretty easy to set up.

5. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

yes i have pretty old laptop with dual boot its easy and possible how to do it

its a old thread but same method can be used even today

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=275725

or

easy way you can google some youtube vidoes for dual boot xp with linux you see lot of info :))

6. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I was so impressed with linux mint after running it for a while in virtualbox ,i have decided to ditch windows altogether and i installed linux which is something i should of done a long time ago.

I dont miss windows one bit.

7. mack_guy911

well dont ditch windows they are pretty good to run certain programs which cannot be run on non windows os even in wine......etc

also if you face problem with one os you have a second option ;)

8. topo

topo Registered Member

thanks for your replys. i've been away for awhile. after looking at my specs of my computer, do you think i can run mint 16? after watching reviews on youtube, one reviewer said cinnamon 2.0 was more for modern machines. my old machine is working great and i don't want to mess it up. in release notes states 32 bit iso requires pae kernel. i have no idea. the old 32 bit hp works well and i want to keep the xp, hense the desire for dual boot(i know i can dual boot). one of the mint sites also said to use dvd-r instead of dvd-rw. i have rw but will get r this weekend. thanks for your help

9. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Are you going to try a Live Session firsto_O

10. topo

topo Registered Member

yes, i'll do live session first. i operate that machine with a logitech wireless keyboard and mouse, will they still work? since this will be my first attempt at linux i'm hoping to make it as smooth as possible. thanks

11. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I think that's the point of Live sessions to see if ones hardware works ootb with a specific Distro. Of course drivers & or programs can be installed in some cases that'll make said hardware work after installation. When I first started with Linux most Distros did not recognize my Network Connection hardware. This was annoying but I put up with it & fixed it when I could. Now each Distro I demo has to recognize & work with my Network Connections & keyboard or I'm not dealing with it. There's too many Distros that'll work ootb on my hardware to tolerate those Distros that don't.

12. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

Different ways I've used Linux Mint.

Booted up to the live cd and tried it to see how it ran on my system.
    Installed it inside VirtualBox.
    Used the Mint4Win install where you can uninstall it from Windows Add/Remove Programs.
    Set up for a dual boot system where I've installed Linux Mint on separate hard drive.
    Installed and manually created separate partions.(4)

Overall I would say it's a good distro and worth checking into. Looks to be one of the more
    popular distros as well.

13. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_petra_cinnamon.php

14. mack_guy911

Physical Address Extension (PAE) now almost all kernel come default with it so if your hardware not support pae then it wont work

but what you can do is install linux mint 13(LTS) which is non-pae kernel supported then update it from backport it make kernel same as non pae but it will update your linux mint to 16 almost same but still i think your system run very slow

you can also try lmde base linux mint it support non-pae kernel as well

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2524

if i where you i use xubuntu LTS or linux mint 13 xfce

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=357775

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=357421

15. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.