Wanted: Checkers, and Reversi with a nice interface?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

a while back I downloaded free versions, but after the hassle of installing them found out they were limited in difficulty to about the level of a smart ape. Anyway, I'm sick of programs that bill themself as free, then you find out differently after wasting a lot of time.

Anyone know of any free free checkers or reversi (with a decent interface)?

Well, while I'm at it, what about bridge? I've never seen bridge for free, but think I'd be interested in learning how it is played.

-HandsOff

2. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Hands.,

I got this Othello v2.0 a couple of years ago for when I need a quick break,but a smart
    ape would probably beat the hell out of me, hehe! so it
    might not be what you are seeking, but its free, 'no install', and tiny, so what can you lose.
    www.cylog.org/games_3.asp

Regards.

3. HandsOff

Sounds Perfect! Actually, I never said I could beat a smart ape either, I just want to know that the simulation I am playing at least had the potential to beat a smart ape!

I will now down load the game - God, and my firewall willing...

-HandsOff

4. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Hands.,

You awakened me to needing a bit more info. re. Othello because even that

little thing I mentioned can beat me sometimes. So I went to

www.britishothello.org.uk/downloads.html which is apparently the

federation for cat's whisker players. On that page it gives the addy for
    a free PDF E-book re. how to play, I checked it's size and at 2.30 MB's, I figured later for the book.It also gives a couple of links for real mccoy Othello - WZEBRA
    appears to be the....
    at www.radagast.se/othello/download.html

While mooching about here and there around I did pick up a couple of tips
    re. playing - I had thought the object when playing was to go in like a wounded Rhino and try to grab every play - on the contrary, it appears
    the plan should be initially to take 'as few as possible' - but to make certain
    that one holds the 4 corners.

I tried 20 games with those tips in mind and that little game will need to get that PDF if it's ever to beat me again, or become a 'Gorilla', being an 'Ape'
    just won't cut it against me no mo !.

So thanks Hands.

Kind Regards.

5. HandsOff

Wow, that's really impressive about the book. I will get it for sure (same disclaimers apply).

Othello and I have a history. I don't know if you go back this far, but there was a time when a cutting edge home video game console hit the scene that allowed you to play different games using different cartridges. Atari was the game. I had asteroids, missle command (for which I was the undesputed world champion), space invaders, pac man, night driver, circus, and ....Othello!

I seem to remember it described as a game in which you "Outflank your opponent" Just that one simple sentance set me on right path w/ regard to charging in. Look what happened at Custer's Last Stand!

Anyway, thanks again -- I got more than I bargained for this time!

-HandsOff

6. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

You were lucky Hands. having your hands full of Atari, I do remember it
    but unfortunately by then I had found out about girlfriends and had switched to playing Poker, I think I should have stuck to Atari.
    However, as you were the "Man" re. 'Missile Command' can you recall my
    favourite of all times, 'River Raiders'.
    Years later I went searching for a computer version and found 'River' via Game Hippo - It's nearly the same but far more difficult - it must be that my hand-eye co-ords have got old-timers disease.
    You mention the favourite 'Pac-Man' - The best I found a couple of years ago at Faststone.org.

Regards.

7. HandsOff

Hey Micro -

I never did get to try river raiders. I think it is kind of funny though, that those games seemed at least as fun as most new high-tech versions. For one thing there was not such elaborated stories to deal with. My favorite games all had the same strategy. Don't get killed!

Poker sort of stopped being fun for me when I realized that the people I played really couldn't afford to give me all their money every week. And then there are the times I'd loose. I don't know what it is, but I just can not laugh and be merry while my money is dissappearing. I guess I just don't have that philisophical easy come easy go thing going for me.

As for women, they cost me far more than everything else put together. I should have never stopped playing missle command!

But i agree with you that othello is good for short breaks (so is backgammon). I prefer my adventures about 10 minutes long or less!

Bridge, on the other hand, I just want to learn because a feel left out. I'd be cool to be able to check out the bridge problems in the paper...

-HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.