Want to try Mint next to Ubuntu installation

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by SandyD, May 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SandyD

SandyD Registered Member

I would like to try installing Mint on a drive that is running Ubuntu 10.04. I don't want to erase Ubutun, just try a different flavour.

My current drive shows /def/sda1 with 7.5 gb - I guess this is my Ubuntu system,
    Then 4.66GB unallocated space , then /def/sda6 with 3.73GB my swap file and
    /def/sda5 with 2.8 gb my home folder

Can I install Mint into the unallocated space and is it possible to use home for both installations Ubuntu & mint?

2. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Free space is a bit tight if you ask me. Expect Mint to take up 2.5-3GB after installation. Things should work, but you'd need to watch your disk usage very carefully.

Yes, you can share your swap and home partitions. Using a different user name for Mint might help keep things more organized by separating program data folders from your Ubuntu installation, though. It's up to you.

3. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

yes mint will work very well i got fedora its working great at 92% partition fulfilled

also you can try their live dvd or run it in virtual box it wont change anything from ubuntu

as ubuntu and mint is almost same not much difference so why need another
    i recommend you try their live dvd 1st it got everything almost out of box then yes but you need to be careful with space

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.