Want to try FD-ISR!!!

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Vaikz, Nov 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaikz

Vaikz Registered Member

Hi, i've been reading from this forums regarding this great software, FD-ISR. But before I'm going to try it, I just have some questions:

1. If the MBR failed, what is the best thing to fix/recover the MBR? Can fix it by using the fixMBR using the windows xp cd? what is the best solutions?

2. Is it ok to backup my system using any backup software while FD-ISR already installed?

Vaikz

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

The latest versions no longer use the mbr for it's magic. They use the partition table.

2. Imaging with FDISR is a non issue.

Pete

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Vaikz,
    Ask Horizon DataSys for FDISR with the freeze function explicitely, then you will get the full version of FDISR.
    This way HDS will be aware that users still want the complete FDISR, instead of a crippled one. :)

4. Vaikz

Vaikz Registered Member

Thanks for the reply pete.

But I just have questions regarding the old version of FD from Raxco w/c a friend of mine uses. If the MBR is messed up, what is the best solutions to fix it...

5. Peter2150

I'd ask what version, but I have to say, you've raised a bit of a suspicion in my mind. You friend certainly could get help from Raxco, and if fact should have the later versions.

You shouldn't have any concern about the issue unless you are planning on using his older version. That is something we reallly don't condone here.

In summary if he is having a problem he should be able to get help from Raxco, and you shouldn't have any issues as you shouldn't be using his older version.

Pete

6. Vaikz

Vaikz Registered Member

Actually I really don't know what version he's using and where did he bought it. I just told him to take a visit at wilders or contact raxco about his concern.

For me, I really like software and all the good feedback you've given to FD. So I think should try to contact HDS and just follow ErikAlbert's advice.

Thanks a lot.

7. Peter2150

Absolutely. And if I came on hard, I apologize. Hope you understand where I was coming from. Give the HDS version a try and we are here to help.

Pete

8. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

After reading https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=192540 I was curious enough to search for the software. I ended up at Raxco but going around in circles could find the intro page http://www.raxco.com/products/FDISR/ but nowhere any reference on how to buy it.
    All the download / purchase pages seem to focus on defrag onlyo_O

Reading the above of this thread I get the idea that maybe Raxco is actually not selling the product anymore - is this correct? Where would I go now and which product should I look for?

9. ErikAlbert

That is correct, Raxco isn't a reseller of FDISR anymore.

Horizon DataSys is the only official reseller of FDISR now :
    http://www.horizondatasys.com/253715.ihtml
    and that's where you can get a trial version and buy FDISR, if you like it.
    Ask explicitly for the latest release of FDISR with the freeze function, because HDS removed the freeze function in FDISR, but you still can get it, if you ask for it.

10. beethoven

ErikAlbert,

went ahead and have just installed the program.
    May ask the resident expert two questions:

1) Doing my first snapshot now but realise it may take 4 hours. Can I continue working on my pc or should I stop the snapshot and reschedule until after work?

2) How to quickly check if my version had indeed the freeze function?

Cheers
    Beethoven

11. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Your initial SS shouldn't take 4hrs. The clock will speed up, believe me. In any case you can continue doing whatever is is your doing, except Do Not DeFrag w/ FD-ISR running.

Main GUI |Actions| --> Freeze, UnFreeze, Freeze Previous

...screamer

12. beethoven

thanks Screamer for the screaming fast response ;)

I can notice it getting faster already - so this is good.

What's not so good is that there is no freeze under action - may have to check with support. Hopefully they can sort it out.

13. ErikAlbert

If the folder "My Documents" is included in the snapshot, it will take longer of course. Since I don't have any volume numbers from you regarding system and data, I can't say anything.
    ISR = Immediate System Recovery, not Immediate Data Recovery.

14. beethoven

I am not too fussed about this first time taking a bit longer, especially as I can still work.

I am sure next time I would exclude some folders I backup anyway.

Have now lodged a ticket regarding the missing freeze function - let's see how they respond to this. How much of a deal breaker would you say this is?

15. ErikAlbert

Yes keep us posted, because I like to know HDS's reaction.
    According my last readings on their website, they are still selling the complete version, but that's not true, because you received one without freeze.
    I'm glad you wrote a ticket for this, after all you pay for the FULL version, which costs about $70.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  16. Peter2150

It depends on you. I've been using FDISR for, I think about 4 years. Never use the freeze function, and wouldn't miss it. Now no archives for me would be a deal breaker.

Pete

17. beethoven

Sorry to keep asking here but I am impatient and the help function within the Gui does not work.
    Currently waiting for support to address this issue and the freeze query.

Can someone here perhaps already answer these queries?

1) I suppose that getting info on how to use the programm would be under help and apart from clicking the button, I should not have to do anything else?

2) I disabled Process Guard and RegDefend for the installation and first snap shot. Can I enable them now again or will they interfere with FD-ISR?
    Based on the faq http://www.horizondatasys.com/255685.ihtml it's appears that disabling is only necessary during actual copying but if someone could confirm this, I would appreciate this.

3) I suspect you cannot disable or close FD-ISR as this would prevent it from doing it's work in case of a system failure?

While the original snapshot was intuitive, I guess to make full use of the program some manual or instructions are required. Is there any tutorial available apart from the "missing" help file?

18. Peter2150

ON the Raxco version in the gui I click on Help, and then there is a menu option F1 to pull up the manual. Did you look there.

Process Guard is a pain in the butt with FDISR. Yes you have to disable it to do snapshot copies. Then I discovered that even disabled I was getting errors going to archives. Decision was easy. ProcessGuard was replaceable, and I did. Regdefend should not cause any issues after the rules are made.

Yes disabling it would really be shooting yourself in the foot. It would mean it wouldn't be there when you most needed it. For example, you trash your system badly. FDISR is disabled, so you can't get into to it to turn on preboot. You never ever want to do that.

There is a wealth of material in this forum. Also you can be sure if you ask questions you will get answers here.

Pete

19. beethoven

:D Ok - just to report back - I have now been given the link to the correct file with freeze function and have downloaded and installed it.
    So, while the normal download will be the latest file 3.21 build 205, you can still obtain the older version 3.2 build 202 with the freeze function.

I was also impressed by the responsiveness of the support team at Horizon DataSys:thumb:

I am now trying to read through all the info and to play with the program. I am pretty sure I will be back with more questions :blink: but guess I will then open a new thread.

Thanks everyone for your assistance:D

20. Mr. Y

Mr. Y Registered Member

Is there a version that supports FAT32?

21. ErikAlbert

No all versions of FDISR only support NTFS, nothing else. Read the system requirements, if you don't believe me. :D

22. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

FirstDefense needs the characteristics of the NTFS filing system in order to perform its magic. Fat32 will not allow the super huge files that FirstDefense uses to store and protect your hard drive. Simple answer: no, FD will not work with Fat32.

Acadia

23. ahriman

ahriman Registered Member

Ordered from HDS on Nov.30 and put in a ticket. I just got the download! Yay :cool:
    Now I must go back up the executable.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2007
  24. ErikAlbert

Congrats ahriman, you have now the most brilliant and reliable ISR-software, you can get. Good luck with it. :)

25. ahriman

ahriman Registered Member

Thanks ErikAlbert!
    I think I just made it under the line. Whew.
    I'll uninstall the 'no freeze' version first, so...do you happen to know if my snapshots will work with the older version?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.