Want to replace SSM

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dmenace, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmenace

dmenace Registered Member

I want to replace SSM 2.3.0.612 (Full) with EQSecure 3.4.

This is partly because my subscription expired and my version of SSM does poorly against the NicM tests. If I use EQSecure 3.4 can someone tell me if:

1) I will lose / gain any features over SSM. E.g. Maybe the registry protection is worse or something?

2) If EQSecure has any conflicts with other apps (namely Comodo 2.4, Nod32, UltraVNC, and VMWare Player)? Is it a stable program?

3) Is it in English? If not, what isn't in English if you use the English language file for EQS recently posted on Wilders?

4) Is it a trustworthy program? I.e. is there a chance that it phones home in anyway?

5) How much resources does it use? More / Less than SSM? One reason I stopped using Prevx2 is because it slowed my PC to a crawl.

Thanks everyone! I particularly want the HIPS to be password protected as I use VNC on my pc and should it get compromised :'( the HIPS will prevent others from harming my pc by asking for a second different password when a dangerous action occurs. This is something a sandbox, a firewall or an antivirus scanner cant protect against...

2. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

1. One feature I can think off the top of my head that's missing in EQSecure is the windows filter in SSM, network control and the ability to sort processes into groups (I've always found that handy, though EQSecure does have its own fully-capable application control module, it just handles things differently). I don't think EQSecure provides any worse protection than SSM. On the other hand, you gain data protection (key advantage over SSM), DLL loading control, the ability to create multiple protection modes (different rulesets you can switch to on-the-fly), system level debugging protection (the latest SSM beta offers this too, though) etc.

2. I've used it with NOD32, ESS and VMWare with no complaints.

3. An English version is available. The program is fully in English, and there is an English forum available on the official site. The translation is a little crummy, though, but you can easily fix that yourself, or download a custom language file other people have created: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=181576

4. Yes, it is.

5. I'm seeing an average of 5-7mb RAM usage on my machine, which is very responsive with EQSecure on. Your mileage may vary.

3. dmenace

dmenace Registered Member

Thanks solcroft! I'll go ahead and install it later today.

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi Solcroft, pls can u check ur PM box?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.