Want to purchase simple back-up product.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by MarieBoyer, Jun 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarieBoyer

MarieBoyer Registered Member

I have heard that Acronis True Image and Norton's backup product are both good. I am a newbie. Would you recommend Acronis for simplicity and "idiot proofing"? o_O

If so, can I purchase at Best Buy or do I need to order on-line?

I already have Systemworks 2005. Would the Norton product be similar and therefore more user-friendly? o_O

2. neuron2

neuron2 Registered Member

No backup product is idiot proof.

I find Acronis to be easy to use and it meets (in fact, surpasses) my needs and expectations. It also does not require me to install the .NET framework. :)

3. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Acronis has a 15-day trial version online which you can install and try to see if it suits your needs.

4. doodallybloke

doodallybloke Registered Member

That's very true. The 15 day trial period I mean. However the download is 21Gb and the Build is 859, which is why I went for the CD version on a previous build because of all the controversy over 859.

The general consensus here is to wait for the new 860 (!!!) Build to arrive... at least I think that is what I'm reading!

Just my small input.

Doodallybloke

(wish I knew what all these small buttons are for when I reply to any message. I have icons and smilies everywhere... ha)

5. MarieBoyer

Thank you. When is that due?

p.s. Can I make a backup with the trial version, save that for time-being and then buy the 860 version on CD?

6. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Yes, you can make a backup with the trial version ... the "fixed" version is out now ... see another thread ... I think it is named build 889.

7. Donprovo

Donprovo Registered Member

To answer your questions:

1) TrueImage 8 is a much better product than Ghost 9 because it is much easier to use and does more things simply and effectively. Ghost 9 falls far short in many of these areas.

2) I recommend TrueImage 8 because it works in most cases for what most of us want to do. It is virtually "idiotproof" and I can personally vouch for that because it works for ME!

3) I have never seen it at discount or department stores. I bought mine for $33 at www.newgg.com and downloaded it within 30 minutes. After you register it you can get all the updates from Acronis website.

4) I bought Ghost 9 and found that NOTHING about it is friendly and they have NO online tech support forum where you can go for help.

Unless you're one of the unlucky ones, you'll be happy with TrueImage 8 for cloning or creating and restoring images of your entire hard drive.

8. MarieBoyer

That's it! Sold!

So off to Newegg and to buy version "build 889"?

9. Donprovo

When you register whatever build newegg has to download (probably 889) you can check the performance/speed on your machine. If you're happy with it then stay with it. If it's very slow you can download the previous build 826 and try that on your machine to see if it's faster for you.

10. MarieBoyer

Thanks.

I just did a search on this forum and found your post on the 889 build. You were not happy with it! Maybe I should wait. Sounds like it needs some work. o_O

11. Donprovo

I feel bad to think I may have interfered with your purchase decision.

Let mey to summarize for you:

1) TrueImage8 is the best cloner/imager/restorer around, even with its warts.
    2) It's worth the price in time saved. I paid $33 and feel as though I got real value even though I am frustrated with its rough edges.
    3) When it works right it works well and it's easy to learn to use.

I'd have no reservations in recommending and using build 826 so I encourage you to go ahead and buy it if you need its capabilities. Everybody here will be happy to help you if you get stuck.

12. doodallybloke

doodallybloke Registered Member

MarieBoyer I have no idea where you are, however if you are Uk based then this is the place to go for True Image v8, Build 796

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0006H2Z1E/ref=amb_center-5_222633_2/026-0582937-1350012

It's currently on a discount of 46% and if you get your purchase up to £19 GBP then it's FREE P&P charges.

This may not be of any benifit to you because I cannot recognise the site 'NewEgg'. Anyway if it does'nt help you then perhaps it may others.

Doodallybloke.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.