Want to Get Rid of Google Update

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Brandonn2010, Apr 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Everything I've read online says uninstalling all Google programs should get Google Update to uninstall after an hour, but it's service still shows up in Task Manager, albeit it's not running. In Event Viewer there are errors periodically associated with Google Update not running.

The Google Update Service (gupdate) service failed to start due to the following error:
    The system cannot find the path specified.

I reinstalled Chrome then uninstalled it in hopes of Google Update being removed, but it still shows up in Task Manager.

How can I remove it?

2. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Manual job only. You seem to almost have succeeded, but failed to remove the scheduled jobs. Go to Task Scheduler and see. Basically:

- disable the scheduled jobs
    - disable the services
    - wipe the files
    - now manual or some tool to remove the registry junk, incl. now dead services

Also, I find their claim that the Updater will remove itself in a few hours once you have uninstalled all Google stuff to be plain false.

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

This is the primary reason why I use Chromium instead of Chrome. I don't mind google, and don't worry about privacy and all that. But I hate auto-updaters, so Chromium was what I chose.

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.