Want to Dual Boot W2K and XP Pro

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by JohnP, Nov 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnP

JohnP Registered Member

Hello,
    First post. I want to dual boot W2K and XP Pro; W2K is current OS. My question is about creating the partition for XP; should it be primary/active or just primary and OSS will show it as a boot selection?
    Thanks for any help.
    JohnP

2. pjiv

pjiv Registered Member

Primary, Active.

Put the XP Setup disk in your CD-ROM, right click on it, and set the OSS Selector parameters according to what you need to have it. Hide the Win2k and you need to force the hiding. Now boot it, and install XP.

3. JohnP

JohnP Registered Member

Hello pjiv,
    Thanks for ther reply; it is appreciated.
    JohnP

4. sergeys

sergeys Registered Member

Hi,

I want to install windows 2000 and XP home (current OS). If I hide current active partition and something will go wrong with installation of windows 2000how I will "unhide" hidden partition if current OS will be on hidden partition and new OS will not be installed. I will not be able to launch OS?

5. pjiv

pjiv Registered Member

You can boot off the restore CD and manage the OS selector should something happen. Most likely OS Selector WILL be disabled, and you'll have to boot the CD and turn it back on anyhow, there is nothing to worry about.

6. Da Mail Man

Da Mail Man Registered Member

pardon my ignorance as i am new here but, what is this restore cd you speak about?....is it the original cd that the program was installed with or the recovery media it asks you to make?....

7. pjiv

pjiv Registered Member

The Acronis Bootable Rescue Media CD you should have made by using the link to it in the programs menu.

8. Da Mail Man

...thanks for the reply....i aparently made it then however, if i make partitions after that, do i have to make a new one or one for each partition?

9. pjiv

pjiv Registered Member

No the disc is for restoring the OSS Selector after the MRB gets trashed by the new OS. You only need 1 disc.

10. Da Mail Man

.....excellent!.....thanks again!!

11. jimraehl

jimraehl Registered Member

12. Da Mail Man

Re: Want to Dual Boot WIN ME. and XP HOME

recent developments;

***1st off, i think i screwed up my topic title!...ugh!...i want to dual boot winxp home (ntsf) and win M.E.(fat32).

....i went into the set-up function of the computer which has an sata hard drive. i found a setting for the hard drive that , in effect,
    may allow programs that would not usually be able or have difficulty in running on an sata hd to possibly function. so, i enabled it.

.....as you may recall, i have a 160gb-hd with a 10gb fat32 partition for the installation of win me (to play games only)..... now, using acronis, i have booted into the acronis "recovery floppy disc"(?) and have made sure that the ntfs win xp partition was hidden and that the 10gb fat32 partition was "unhidden". .......from there, i selected
    "format" (the fat 32) and the program said "completed".

here is where the problem starts; i have booted into the floppy drive and am attempting to load win me into what i hope will be the 10gb fat32 partition i have created. when i select format c:/s or any other drive letter imaginable, it seems i can't do it. i get a message saying that
    "win me has detected that drive c does not contain a valid fat32 partition...." yet, acronis shows the partition to be fat32.to add insult to injury, i shouldn't even have to format it, should i since acronis said that it had done it?...what the hell am i doing wrong now?

13. Da Mail Man

WIN ME HAS BEEN INSTALLED. (WITH A PROBLEM).
    ...i got into the bios and enabled a setting that would allow some programs (as the explanation says it) to work with the sata hd....i formatted the entire disk as a fat32 and the os actually went in!......however, here is the problem;
    .......i can see the "a" drive but not the dvd or the dvd/cd-rw drive at all which would make loading the drivers to make "me" work impossible....how do i get around this w/out having to restructure any existing file entries which i am totally w/ knowledge?.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.