Want to boot from new HDD!!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by susiboy, Jun 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. susiboy

susiboy Registered Member

I bought a new HDD yesterday and want to transfer all the data in C partition of old HDD to new HDD and boot from it.
    (I already tried to use Acronis True Image : made an image of C partition and restored it to new hdd, then chaged HDD jumper setting to Master and reboot, but failed!! - i couldn't log-on because no user account icon for log-on was displayed!!-_- CTRL+ALT+DEL Key also didn't work!!-_-)

Somebody, Anybody know the correct method to make it happen using Acronis True Image?

<current connection status of my computer>
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    old HDD(80GB-Primary Master):
    C partition(40GB) - winxp pro installed(actual usage size is about 10GB)
    D partition(40GB) - data(music, movie, etc)

new HDD(20GB-Primary Slave):
    E Partition(20GB) - empty
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd appreciate it if you guys help me... (r^^)r

2. TonioRoffo

TonioRoffo Registered Member

Try ctrl-alt-del two times in quick succession. In Win XP that should remove the welcome screen and present you with the classic login window. If your "regular' users don't work, try logging in as administrator, password blank (if you didn't change it)

If that doesn't work, boot in safe mode, try the same thing. If this works, in control panel, choose user accounts, here you can define *not* to use welcome screen in the future.

I had the same thing once, by installing a new video card driver. couldn't log on, got a black screen after "windows loading" - removed welcome screen and all is well since...

It's possible your machine locks up in the boot process just before presenting you logins...

3. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

Try the Clone Drive feature and not the Image feature which is designed to do exactly what you want to do....

4. susiboy

susiboy Registered Member

In my case, ctrl+alt+del 2times doesn't work in normal mode and safe mode too. -_-
    and I already tried to use the 'clone feature' of Accronis True Image 8, but it couldn't clone partial partition(only C partition) of old HDD.
    (It could clone only 'whole partitions' of HDD : C & D partition of old HDD at the same time!!!)

Anyway, Thank you very much for kind reply.. ^^/

(p.s.)
    Acronis Support Department sent an email about my problem.
    Bellow are email content I received.

=========================================================
    Please note that you should first prepare your system with Microsoft System
    Preparation Tool (sysprep) before you migrate it to different hardware.

According to Microsoft Knowledge Base Article ??298491: "One problem from
    duplicating an installation of Windows 2000 is that each cloned computer has the
    same security identifier (SID) and computer name. This may prevent the cloned
    computers from functioning correctly in a workgroup or a domain. To work around
    this problem, administrators use the System Preparation Tool (Sysprep.exe) to
    remove configuration settings that are unique to the computer such as the
    computer name and SID. The resulting image can then be safely reused for
    installation on other computers." This issue also exists in Windows NT 4.0 and
    Windows XP, and thus computers running those operating systems must be prepared
    as well.

In brief, here is how you prepare your disk drive to create a master clone image
    or to migrate data:

Create Acronis True Image 8.0 bootable rescue media with Rescue Media Builder
    available in Acronis True Image 8.0 program menu.

Run sysprep.exe. Microsoft give you the option to specify the following keys:

- nosidgen ??If you plan to erase all data from the original hard disk and/or
    do not plan to use both original and new hard disks in different computers
    simultaneously, use this option.
    - mini ??if you plan to migrate your operating system to a computer with
    different hardware.
    - Prepare to reboot the computer. First, put the Acronis True Image 8.0 bootable
    rescue media in the CD drive and boot the system. Now run the program and create
    an image of the prepared hard disk.
    - Install the new hard drive into your computer or take the image you just made
    to your new computer.
    - Boot from Acronis True Image 8.0 rescue media again and restore the image to
    the new hard drive or computer.
    - Reboot the computer.

The most suitable decision to migrate your system is using Acronis True Image
    embedded tool - Disk Clone. Please read about differences between disk cloning
    and disk imaging here:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/faq.html#9c

It's strongly recommended to remove one of your hard drives in order to avoid
    boot problems, because two hard drives with identical systems may occur such
    problems.

We recommend you to read Microsoft articles regarding using sysprep:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298491

This information is also available on our web-site in Acronis True Image FAQ
    Section at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/faq.html#17

Thank you.
    =========================================================

5. jimmytop

jimmytop Registered Member

that acronis reply is assuming you then use both drives in separate pc's. ignore them, obviously they just sent you a reply based on a search of their knowledge base from keywords in your post...lol. it's not relevant for you.

try fixmbr or windows repair install

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello susiboy,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please let me know your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply to your first letter to Acronis Support Team? Also please let us know the exact place whether Windows boot up stops.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

7. rharris270

rharris270 Guest

Perhaps I am not correctly understanding what you are attempting to do, but it looks like you want to move the C: partition to a ***smaller*** hard drive, but leave the D: partition where it is, and presumeably leave the old hard drive attached to the PC. I further assume that you plan on erasing te old C: and using it for additional data storage, or somehting like that?

If this is even close to what you want to do, my advice is don't do it.

XP is sensitive to hardware, and remembers which disk is which. It is not as simple as just which disk is master and which is slave. So, once it sees the new disk as E:, that disk will remain as E:. It is possible to install XP on a partition other than C:, but to my knowledge there is no easy way to move XP, once it is installed.

What you could do is buy a larger disk, and copy both C and D to it using TI8's clone feature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.