WALLPAPER

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by SnowGuy, May 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Guest

Over the years most of my time on the internet was devoted to business useage or security matters. The simple things about computers just never entered the picture.....so some questions to anyone patient enough to explain....thankya.

WALLPAPER: Lets say I want to copy wallpaper from a website.....what pre-cautions should be taken........considering web-bugs etc.......secondly, how to removed this from the computer afterward if I decided its not what I want.....here I mean removing it entirely...not just changing it to another wallpaper.......
    This is a rather trival question so please...its not absolutely necessary for replies......but thanks to anyone who does.

2. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hey Snowman,

Maybe it is a good idea to tell which version of Windows (98-ME-XP etc).

I have only the Dutch version of Windows and don't know exactly how all words involved are translated into English. So I might better leave this to those with the English version of Windows.

I think that you can always remove (delete) a wallpaper.

I hope that someone else with the right English words will jump in ;)

3. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Guest

Greetings Friend Jan

The OS is win98se........

Wishing You A Wonderful Day

ThatSnowmanGuy

4. FanJ

FanJ Guest

I would think the usual precautions: like AV, AT, Anti-spyware, HOSTS, IE-SPYAD, a Cookie-program (CookieWall will alert you).
    And not allowing the site from which you download that Wallpaper any possibility to do some nasty things through ActiveX, Java, etc.

I think (I could be wrong) that Wallpaper is something like a jpg or gif file.
    So you could always remove it completely from your system, using the usual precautions.
    Of course also delete the content of your recycle-bin.
    That might not be enough to your liking, so in that case use a more complete shredder.

-----

Hi Snowy,

I think that I misunderstood your question in my first reply.
    I hope that this gives a better answer.
    I still hope that others will also jump in !

Snowman,
    Knowing you a little bit ;) , are you saying that you are going to give this PC to someone else?
    In that case you maybe might like to have some of the experts to have a look at its HijackThis-log, so you're sure that there is nothing wrong with it.
    Just a thought ;)

Cheers, Jan.

5. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Guest

LOL....FanJ you must have inner-insight......cause I just finished manually cleaning TWO hijackers..........left-overs........an darn it....I ran adawear..spybot....got spywareblaster......a host file(at your suggestion) plus several other programs...........none even seen these things

Yes Jan....there is a kid I became aware of that needs a computer....this is the last one I have.....an since I am closing my isp account.....let the kid have it. Its very old but in top condition......no sound card though...upgraded pass the max......stripped a little from winME..2k....an some extras...splased it all together.....an this old box is zooming right along.........got spare copies of encarta...dictionaires.....lots of stuff......this is the last time I will be able to do this so...putting on heavy...going to get a person from the local firedepartment to bring it to the kid.........I never let it known where it came from.....nothing about me is ever mention.......only one note placed on the computer "Pass It On"

6. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

What a generous & kind thing to do! I've read enough in different threads recently to know you don't expect to have further use for it (which sucks something rank), but so many people in your position wouldn't bother to "do unto others." All I can say is that I'm impressed by your graciousness.:)

Last edited: May 26, 2004
  7. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Joyce,

I completely agree with you !!!!! :D

But I also feel sad that we might not hear for a long time from our friend Snowy.....

Warm regards,
    Jan.

8. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

I feel more bad.:( (Not that it's a contest;) ) I haven't been here long enough or at sufficiently competent levels, technically, to call "SnowGuy" my friend. For the time being, apparently I won't, either.:doubt:

9. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hey Jayzzz [​IMG]

Of course it isn't a contest ! [​IMG]

I was admiring your posting and fully agreeing with it !!!
    And I couldn't resist to try to express my feelings, just like you

Best regards, Jan.

10. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Thanks, Jan. You did, too, very well. I guess what I've read makes me feel like there's, as I've heard it said, a big elephant in the room that everyone is pretending isn't there, and besides that, those of us who are more "mature" see our own futures in the situation. I do, anyhow. SnowGuy seems not to be pretending so much as ignoring, in favour of seeing to the needs of others just starting out. That is special and rare, and I'd best not say more.:doubt:

11. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Guest

Good Golly Molly.....you folks are going to make me feel embarassed...LOL
    Thank you very much........the compliments are very healing in more ways than I can express.

Jayzzz

Consider yourself a friend indeed...........I tend to sometimes forget when posting to FanJ that I am in a public forum......an release personal thoughts.....have always considered Jan as a real friend...since I first met.
    Hey, be very assured....like that man said "I'LL Be Back"".....this illness and financial burden is but a small bump in the road.....not about nothing!
    The body is weak for the moment...but only for this moment.......wish I could say that the mind was strong but some people would disagree LOL
    Life is to be lived..experienced.......what comes often goes.....but the children....they grow....what better investment than helping a child grow.
    Jayzz....you are a natural......it shows in your thoughts........my the very best be with you...................an don't think twice about the snowman's condition or situation........cause the faith is within........an survival a way of life.........I would not know of any other way to live. Whatever I have lost...will be re-gain......whatever I have given...hopefully will be re-given....
    An now....since this was about Wallpaper.....LOL......I best move on before they close me out.........well wishes Jan and Jayzzz

ItsThat Snowman Guy

12. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Well maybe I can help you Snowguy. If you go to www.webshots.com you can get all the free and safe wallpaper you want. Also, you will not have to deal with spyware. :) You can even have your wallpaper changing every hour or 24 hours. Also, you can have a calendar on the upper right hand corner which is handy to have. All photos provided are by members who post their photos they wish to share, on a webpage with Webshots. I have started such a page and my photos are clean [no web bugs] and are yours to enjoy for free. Here is a link to my page .....

http://community.webshots.com/photo/103703788/145570408xagqQY -

At the moment I am enjoying the photo of my creek as my wallpaper. It is a creek which is only a few feet away from my patio. I feed the ducks daily too. If you like that picture, you can download it as your screensaver. My scanner died [and I have been shopping for a new one], the other day so I am unable to scan any more photos to share. However, there are tons of sites, and I am sure you can find something you like as there are many beautiful pictures. Webshots will also visit you daily offering photos for download if you so wish. So enjoy my friends, enjoy. Peaches. :cool:

13. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Peaches4U is right about WebShots. Their desktop software is free, and I think up to 5 downloads a day are permitted with the free memberships. Heck, I could provide a cd with a huge head start, but my taste is unlikely to be the same as the boy's. It's the only site on-line I ever wanted to pay to be a member of (did, and am), though you don't have to be a paid member to see the world through professional and amateur pictures of just about anyplace and everything on this planet.

My own little album with pictures of my cats is there, at http://community.webshots.com/user/mjayz. I have, and have had, some great animals share their lives with me, and the pictures look better than I expected them to...well most do, anyhow.;) The albums will be a work in progress for the foreseeable future. I finally decided to allow them to be viewed just a few days ago, and will continue to add pictures I like as I scan more old and new ones.
    Thank you, SnowGuy, for accepting me and taking no offense. I find I'm reading your words with more than my eyes. I know you'll be alright, whatever happens with the body, because of how my own belief system has evolved.:) I've got a quote somewhere in all these files that I think you'll like. I'll post it in Ten Forward when I find it, so we're not too much further off-topic here; hope that will be this evening.
    Joyce

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 27, 2004
  14. gumboguy

gumboguy Registered Member

I don't know if anyone has said this, but when downloading your wallpapers you could create a folder on your hard drive. Name the wallpaper something specific. When you are done with it, find the wallpaper folder and delete the file.

15. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Guest

Gumbo

yupper..thats the trick I needed....can copy the folder to floppy also.......can also copy/paste........scan for whatevers.....yup....this will do just fine.
    Say...I make one hot gumbo.....haven't had that in a while...

The Snowman Guy

16. Snowguy

Snowguy Guest

Jayzzz and Peachy

my much thanks to both of you for the links,,,,very nice.........appreciated.

17. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Used Webshots for quite awhile Snowguy mate....had no probs whatsoever..got fed-up with S/Savers...found I didn't need 'em so uninstalled.. again absolutely no problems....take note of Darling Peaches...she knows what she's at... :D

Cochise, :cool:

18. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Guest

Cochise

Thanks for the reply.....yes Peachy was a lifesaver....an Jayzzz too.
    Have only got a short time left on the internet.....Chief I've really enjoy meeting you.....its my honor....

Snowguy

19. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Hey! SnowGuy,

I can't quite get my head around this...are you saying we at Wilders are going to lose you around here?.....That can't be right....your TOO Valuable...your part of the furniture....please don't just disappear from sight like that...I appreciate that a dread illness has crept up on you and things aren't going to be the same again but please mate, remember that we are always going to be here for you....there are some of us here also not in the best of condition and we realise only too well that Finances aren't always what we would like them to be....but if you can see your way to even 'borrowing' some time on a Comp...I think I speak for us all here...let us at least know how your getting on.....

Cochise, :cool:

20. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

SnowGuy, any time you're near a computer, you can contact me by leaving a note in the guestbook of that album of mine at WebShots. I've had the membership for a couple of years longer than I've been a member here, at Wilders.

I'll hold the most positve thoughts I've got for you, and do hope to "see" you back here (or elsewhere, as yet to be discovered?) one of these days. :) Joyce

21. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Snowguy - My best wishes to you in every respect. Take care of yourself and do come back for a visit whenever you can. Peachy

22. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Guest

Well this is the last post for a while....after posting this I shut-down and reformat....just enough time left to do this......soooooooooooo

Folks is been a fine time sharing with you. An Jayzz will remember the invitation an try to drop you a line........
    Peachy....always the beautifully considerate Peachy....been a pleasure lady.....

Cochise....The Right Honorable......gonna miss you my friend....but will no doubt drop back in from time to time........there is so much happening in my life right now thats its all consuming......got to pack..find a place...move....an not walking very well yet..........its going to be rough gettings anything done.....an time is running short...

Actually I am looking forward to a change.........I've a need to settle down.......in the past my life was always super active...little sleep....missing meals...it caught up to me over the years.....maybe I'll find an old house to rebuild.......perhaps meet a companion......an just be average joe....do alittle fishing.....

When you guys hear from FanJ....please give my regards...I have a throw away e mail account..but most likely wont check it for awhile so no point in giving the address............folks, I could say more...but best not....its not a good night for me...lots of adjusting going on.......my thoughts and fondest to each......until next time....dreams do come true...an may yours..................

Warmest Regards

ThatSnowManIsGoneAgain

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.