W98SE vs. WinXP

Discussion in 'polls' started by beetlejuice, Oct 19, 2003.

?

Which OS would you go with and why?

1. Windows 98SE

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Windows XP

32 vote(s)
    88.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

Please vote. I like 98SE alot and just cant decide which to go with this time. :doubt:

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have had 98, 98se, and me, and now xp. I really liked 98se and me both but after I got used to xp and learned how to secure it correctly I would have to recomend xp. It will be interesting to see the results of your poll. It is just a lot harder for anyone to get into xp that isn't sopposed to be there if you use an administrator password and all the security it has to offer. Of course nothing is fool proof

3. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

Yes I'm interested too. Like I said, I can't decide. I don't know much about XP except for some of the horror stories I've heard from a couple of people concerning having a hard time getting drivers to run all the periferials.

4. bigc73542

There are quite a few web sites you can find now concerning drivers for most of the perifrials you might need. Personally the only programs that I have had trouble with are older games. and some of them will work with the built in compatibility wizard. It wont make every older program work but quite a few. Well I will be quiet now and let you hear some other opinions. :blink:

5. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

A lot of people think XP is the devil. ;)

You'll see them post about it being nothing but Microsoft spyware, having all kinds of phone homes, massive security holes, etc. etc. Sure, it can be bad if you just install a default config out of the box. But, once you take the time to learn it and secure it properly there are very few issues.

For the longest time I used Windows 95 or 98... A couple years back or so, at work the standard laptop was a high end Dell with Win2000. I made them give me Windows 95. (It's good to be the boss ;) ) I held out longer than anyone else I know. Then finally I got a new home PC with Windows XP on it and really liked it. Now I'm sold on XP.

I believe the stability of XP is the best of the Windows OS. I rarely crash the system. Actually, I never crash it unless I'm messing around with stuff I shouldn't. Those are the only failures I've had. I believe XP is fast, stable and capable.

Also, time is moving forward. So, I think getting a much more current OS is better than staying in the past.

6. bigc73542

compatibility wizard it rally works pretty fair

Attached Files:

• pic2.JPG
      pic2.JPG
      File size:
      84.4 KB
      Views:
  7. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

As long as possible our network remains on W2000 :D
    Dolf

8. sig

sig Registered Member

I'd go with XP. Stability is the main difference in my experience. XP handles memory use and resources much better than 98. Which makes a tremendous difference IMO. One can read up on how to better secure the system and best practices with XP. And newer software generally tends to accommodate the newer OS better than previous older systems.

For compatibility concerns one can look at this page: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/compatibility/default.asp

9. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

The first computer that I used was my Dad's 98.
    I surfed on a few 98's before I bought my own computer.

I have XP home SP1 now and I like it better than 98.

XP does have a lot of security issues.
    But with XP Anti Spy and the tweak sites like blackviper it's not that hard to disable the un-needed services.

Overall, I like XP Home and I'd choose it.

10. crockett

crockett Registered Member

Hi everyone... :)

Still on W98SELite, never tried WXP 'cause I'm still running on an old and weak pc. 98Lite doing a fine job for me for the time being...

Since I couldn't compare, I didn't vote so as to not spoil the results.

BTW, I have a colleague who just bought a new computer running under WXP and asked me to secure it.

The first problem is that he knows almost nothing about pc's. The second one is that I know nothing about XP. :eek:

XP users, could you tell me if I can secure his pc simply and efficiently, say by using a few small third-party freewares that 'd do the job for me ? If yes, which ones and how to run them ?!

Sorry if the wrong place to post about this... If so, feel free to PM me if you can help.

Thanks,

Rgds,
    Crockett :cool:

11. the Tester

Hi Crockett.

For securing XP by disabling services I use XP-AntiSpy.
    It's small and free.
    It has color coding and at the top of the program panel there is a ?,click that and then click "about XP- Antispy".
    That will explain the color code.
    You can also hover the mouse over an item and you get a explanation of that item.

The home page is in German/English with an English FAQ link also.

http://www.xp-antispy.org/

Screenshot attached below.

Attached Files:

12. sig

sig Registered Member

Since XP runs so many services that open ports on the net, running a firewall is (for me and most average users) a necessity. So that's a given. :)

Many people also disable unnecessary services and for that XP AntiSpy is a handy tool (and free). Some people go further than XP AntiSpy, but that should be reserved for people who have a clue what they're doing and the potential consequences. The deal with disabling services is to know what functionalities/dependencies are associated with it and whether they're desirable or not for the user. XP AntiSpy does provide some info regarding that, I believe, so one can choose. But many people don't disable services and just run a firewall and are ok. It depends if one wants to reduce unnecessary resource use and get rid of running services one doesn't want/need or not.

Just one note though about UPNP: when XP first came out as I recall, universal plug and play (not the plug and play you're used to with 9:cool: held a port open (5000?) even when running ZA. I don't know if that's still the case with XP and/or ZA, but it was when I got XP and that was the first service I disabled. The majority of home users will have no use for it. I don't recall offhand if XP AntiSpy takes care of UPNP so that's something to look for.

One service I retained is I do like automatic notification of MS updates which is on by default, just set to notify rather auto download and install as long as the user knows that it's for convenience so the download and install process doesn't interfere with what he may be doing at the time. And one shouldn't slack off on installing critical updates. But I ususally check forums to make sure there is no generally reported problem with an update before I download and install it. Only critical updates are covered through this auto update as I recollect. I occasionally use the Windows Update tab in IE to check on recommended, etc to see what else may be available and whether I want it or not.

Anyway, the main thing is having a firewall. Generic Host Processes does need access to the internet, no server rights (as in ZA). Can't think of anything else, offhand.

13. the Tester

Hi Sig.

You brought up a good point about Unplug and play.
    You can disable that service with XP-AntiSpy.
    I think that you still have to close that open port(5000) associated with it though.
    I'm pretty sure that M$ still ships XP with that
    vulnerability.
    At least my new system had that port open. :mad: and that was 3 or 4 months ago.

There's a patch for that from M$,but I use "UnPlug and Pray" from Steve Gibson.
    You can open or close that port with Gibson's little program.

http://grc.com/UnPnP/UnPnP.htm

14. crockett

crockett Registered Member

Hi Tester ;) Hi Sig :)

Thanks for the quick replies... Those freewares definitely what I just needed ! Thanks...

Is XP Anti-Spy able to disable the built-in XP firewall ? I'll probably install ZA since it is so easy to use for starters... Hope it's gonna go smooth on XP...

I once more realize it's such a heavy responsibility to take care of someone else's computer... Not sure I had a good idea to accept it. Well, I'll see.

AdAware scan recommended on XP or is it gonna do more harm (by deactivating essential services) than good ?!

Tester, "Happy Birthday' for your 500th post ! Sig, I think you and I still have a long way to go to have the slightest chance to catch up... Particularly I ! :D

Rgds, guys...

Crockett, tonight posting on Beonex-browser :cool:

15. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

I run a dual boot system with 98SE and win2k.
    Took me the longest to get used to win2k, but now spend most of my time on it and 98 is only used as a backup in case of...

16. sig

sig Registered Member

Yes, as MTM mentions, W2K is another alternative and does better on older or underpowered machines than XP.

Crockett: My understanding is that the firewall (ICF) now should be on by default with newer shipments of XP. I activated it before I connected to broadband and then went online to download updates, etc. It's serviceable in that instance. Easy to activate and deactivate. It's in the network connections and I found that it's activated or deactivated for each connection when I added a dial up DUN connection as a back up to my cable connection. Anyway, info about ICF is in XP's help and support section, which can be accessed from the start menu.

The other issue I forgot to mention which is going to be probably new to an average user moving up from 98 to XP is the administrator account vs limited user account. Administrator account is allowed to do anything on the computer; limited user accounts are just that (and I think can be adjusted to what the limited user can or cannot do). Best practice is to spend most of one's time as a limited user and only logging in as Admin only when needed to do certain things. And use passwords. Default for XP Home is Admin mode and one would need to set up a limted user account. There is also a guest account but that is recommended to be turned off for security reasons. Instructions for these also can be found in the help and support file.

Now that doesn't mean that XP can't be set up (if there is only one user) to run without a logon or password and without a nonAdmin user account. XP Home happily does that on it's own as I found if there is only one user account and no password. And some users do run it like that. I'm just mentioning what is recommended best practice and it all depends on the user and the cirumstances (other users in the house, etc) how you/they will want to set that up.

It's not difficult. Just have to read up on it a bit, the help file is actually helpful on these matters. And here are a couple pages from the MS site that also may be useful before you deal with XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;winxp

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/

I'm no expert and I'm using XP Home. XP Pro has some other flexibilities for greater control of user accounts perhaps and certainly group policies, etc. Anyway, the thing is, XP Home can be too easy so one has to look for the settings and ways to make it a bit more secure like using limited user accounts, etc.

BTW, congrats Tester! :)

oops, forgot, Adaware should be just fine on XP. I haven't used it on XP, but I don't know that it would even get into the services issues so I doubt that's a concern. I imagine it wouldn't be any different than using it on a nonXP box. I use Spybot Search and Destroy and never seem to have more than an occasional cookie that slips by me. Also, I use SpywareBlaster and Spyware Guard. All run fine on XP.

17. meneer

meneer Registered Member

I voted 98 (yes, it me) because I've got a licenced version. I doubt if I would pay for XP. No I don't doubt, I wouldn't pay for it, I'm moving to linux for my office system.

In all earnest I do believe XP is more secure. But to run windows software a secured 98 is good enough. I recently moved to W2K for stability reasons, though :oops:, but I was running some beta software and 98 couldn't cope any longer. So there's a case for XP.

btw:
    Lot's of illegal XP's at home and on the market. Do these systems benefit of all security patches and service packs that Microsoft is issuing? No, don't think so. Talk about secure XP :(

18. StAnger

StAnger Registered Member

I don't see why not. Do you think I give MS my real key just to get some patches? No need for that. ;)
    I don't think Paul would appreciate it if we went into details, but anyone that doesn't patch his illegal version of XP, doesn't care enough.

Back to the topic at hand. I voted XP, but that is not really fair because I never used 98. I skipped that one.

19. FukenFooser 007.5

FukenFooser 007.5 Registered Member

:cool:

I would pick XP Pro

Works great even for an idoit like myself.

Have used "patched" and real version many times, (don't ask,{failing HD kicked my U know what}), and bolth update and work better than I can keep-up with, and after using XP @ home I dread going to work to see what else they messed up on many 98's that r in use there. (Had to build a junker to be able to look @ 98 @ home, {goof there also, I used 98SE, @ work is 98}, seems trivial but at least none on 95 still, allthou I did restore a old notepad 360c for my 95 referance point).
    All things good to said about XP Pro, even with all the "nasties" going arouind.

Thats my opinion.

Great work to ALL the TECH's @ WILDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

The XP firewall is merely a box to check or uncheck in XP's Advanced Properties for the LAN connection. There are no other typical firewall- type settings for it. My understanding is that 2 firewalls can't hurt. I've been using the XP firewall (which I consider like a mini-firewall) together with Zone Alarm, and like the idea of "double protection," myself.

I've also used Windows 98 on the other computer in the house, and I had Windows 95 prior to XP. I prefer XP, now that I've taken care of the problems it comes with by default. It doesn't tell you everything is illegal, which irritates the you-know-what out of me in Windows 98. I've only seen crashes with Windows XP when it tells me there's been one, so far. It seems to sort of pick itself up again and fixes a lot of things, itself, if in a decent computer.

Good luck. Hope you enjoy whatever you decide on. mj :)

21. the Tester

Hi Crockett.

XP-AntiSpy doesn't have an option to disable the ICF.
    You'd have to do that manually.

Thanks for the Birthday Wish about the posts.
    It indicates a novice's addiction to this forum. ;)

22. Daniel SR

Daniel SR Registered Member

I like, use and recomend XP because of it's stability. But 98se still is a great Windows option.

23. DougRees

DougRees Registered Member

XP is the only MS operating system thus far that I've truly liked. When I used 98SE, I got more "illegal operation" notices than I would have if I had smoked marijuana in Texas or Alabama.

24. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Win98se because I have no choice: my system is too old for XP. Eagerly awaiting getting a new system in 6-8 months THEN the fun begins! :cool:

Acadia

25. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

I use xp home now but hope to go to xp pro shortly.

xp pro users have told me it is a lot more secure.

Snowbound

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.