W7 Program Files vs Program Data

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by emmjay, Sep 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Today I uninstalled Nero 8 Essentials from my W7Pro/32 laptop using Windows Uninstaller. It came as bloatware (1.7GB) on my PC and I have never used it.
    After the uninstall it asked for a Restart, which I did.

I opened CCleaner/Registry Tools after this and there were about 30 remnants which I deleted. There was also a start-up task for it showing in WinPatrol so I removed it from there and rebooted again.

A windows search showed no more instances of the product, however in Windows Explorer under Program Data it is still there. Why is this?
    What if I were to delete it from Program Data (should I)? Is this some kind of recovery data base for products I uninstall? I also noticed that Immunet is also there and I uninstalled it about 6 months ago.

2. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

It's normal for uninstalled programs to leave remnants in Program Data, Program Files, AppData etc.
    It's safe to delete them.

3. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

I think it's actually safer to remove those folders than to remove the registry keys.

4. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

5. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Can you answer this as I have already deleted the applications and their remnants.

6. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

The answer you deserve would violate Forum Policy.

7. moontan

moontan Registered Member

8. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Emmjay, you are fine deleting that folder. I would have done the same.

Bo

9. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Pay no attention... I misread the OP's post.
    Must have been that bottle of Scotch:oops:

10. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Tnx everybody I appreciate your responses. Joxx, get the single blend next time.
    I will delete the folders in Program Data. I am still unclear why Program Files and Program Data are not in sync. Is Program Data supposed to retain everything you ever installed on your PC ? If so, why?

11. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

Because some devs are lazy.

Nevermind, the answer. Wrong reading. I thought you asked why uninstalled programs don't take their garbage with them.

12. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Under normal circumstances when you install a program it will put its stuff in several folders. Program Files will contain executables, ProgramData will contain generic supporting files and AppData will contain user-specific files.
    When that program is uninstalled everything related to it should go (including drivers, registry keys etc.). If it doesn't is the uninstaller's fault.
    Why so many (most?) programs don't uninstall properly is something I could never understand. Maybe Wroll is right when saying the devs are lazy.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  13. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

That's as good an explanation as any.

Quite how some vendors can manage to clean up all traces of their product upon uninstallation,while others leave behind a truckload of detritus is a mystery.

Nero,which has "evolved" to the size of an OS is certainly one of the latter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.