Vupen brags about Windows 8 hack

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by tgell, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Not sure if this has been posted yet. Sorry if it has.

Article

2. Wow. That is disgusting.

3. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

And the cycle starts anew. On the subject of Vupen, I just can't get behind non-disclosure for profit.

4. Well, full disclosure doesn't strike me as so good either. But this is ridiculous - it's basically blackhat stuff.

5. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Well, it's a balance. I don't want a bug-finder telling the world, but I don't want them leaving out the vendor so they can make more with higher-paying sources either like Vupen is doing. Paid, responsible disclosure is the best way to work in my opinion.

6. Okay... Reading some more, it looks like Vupen's clients are all governments, and almost exclusively democratic ones. So this is not entirely black and white.

Even so, this strikes me as a rather irresponsible kind of business. Even the most progressive democratic governments are not immune to greed, bigotry, and stupidity.

7. Fox Mulder

Fox Mulder Registered Member

Interesting. They're certainly playing it up, I wonder what the catch is.

8. garry35

garry35 Registered Member

sounds like pure profiteering, they have seen an opportunity to make a fast buck and jumped on it.

9. Alcyon

Alcyon Registered Member

Well... Welcome in capitalism where weakness of others is highly profitable...

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  10. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

They're modern day arms dealers. They only sell to democratic governments but they essentially create an artificial arms race because when it comes to exploits, unlike guns, if you're ever behind the other side might get all they need.

They make a lot of money this way.

The exploit sounds interesting, IE10 uses all of the latest mitigation techniques of Windows 8. The improved ASLR is much better than the Windows 7- versions and there's no more (sorta) USER_SHARED_DATA info leak or static bottom up randomizations. Just proof that attackers will always find a way through.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  11. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

That's the kind of company that should be hacked and have their dirty little secrets dumped on the web.

12. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Good that Enhanced Protected Mode (AppContainer) prevents this. (The tweet seems to specifically mention normal protected mode)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.