Vulnerable to new threats?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by nyt, Aug 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nyt

nyt Registered Member

Hi,
    I just installed NOD32 seeing how fast it is and with a decent reputation, so I thought I would put it to test by going to some warez site and click on ads.. I get an .avi movie with a missing codec which happens to be an .exe.. I grab the file and submit it to virustotal, the result is attached.
    My question: is it normal NOD is slower than Antivir and Clamav to catch this new virus, both being free? Granted, a lot of the other big names miss it as well but that's not a valid excuse IMHO.

Attached Files:

2. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

well there isn't 100% detection rate :D sometimes NOD32 missed but sometimes KAV missed.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

8 av's found it and nod32 didnt thats odd since nod32 has great heristic detection and the others have got an exact match not even behaves like. i mean come on bitdefender and the others have know what it is. so why doesnt nod32?

"using yesterday's tecnoligy to detect todays threats" it seems you are if you using nod32 lol
    i used nod32's motto against them. anyway joka over there must be a reason why 8 av's detect it but nod32's herristics or signitures dont detect it.

bitdefender and kaspersky dectect it and avast is quote big and only update twice aday where as nod32 can update hourly. but avast finds it and nod32 doesnt. you have just got to laugh ahahahah

Last edited: Aug 11, 2006
  4. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

Don't bash a product if you don't understand correctly how malware works.
    Detect downloaders isn't an important thing, it's like detect droppers. The important thing is to detected downloaded/dropped malware. Detecting downloaders and droppers of course is good, but not essential.
    Have you tested if the downloaded malware is detected by NOD32?

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

~snip~ Blackspear anyway i would rather it detected the dropper as well as the malware inside. this would mean it would be stopped from ever downloading the dropper on to the hard drive

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2006
  6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

As noted in past closed\removed threads of this type....these type threads are neither support issue related or helpful. The thread starter purposely grabbbed some malware and has submitted it to virustotal. If\when Eset receives said sample they will act on this item according to the priority they deem necessary as stated in this post. What We will not be continuing is yet another thread of who's added the item to their database and who hasn't.

Having said that....this thread is now closed.

Bubba

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.