vpntunnel.se > can see other computers connected to the same VPN server? :o

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Agathon, Mar 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agathon

Agathon Registered Member

Heyo, first time poster here. People here seem to be more well informed and knowledgeable than me so I decided to pop a question about a VPN service I am using.

The service in question is vpntunnel.se. They have had their fair share of problems associated with downtime and more recently the client shitting itself in one way or another sporadically (for example it loses the secure connection but the provided connection guard does nothing... ooops...). Not nice, that alone should have made me look elsewhere.

Also, someone reported that his connection had been switched on the fly from a SE server to a US server (I am not sure I understood his explanation 100% but yeah, that is basically what he said had happened... sounds quite incredible and really, really not good at all...).

Anyway, the latest hooblaa came after a powerfailure/outage/problem with their servers (or something). I mean, if they were properly hosted things like this just shouldn't happen. Like ever.

The service was out for a day and now that it has come back I get this weird problem of seeing all the computers connected to the same VPN-server in my Network view (using Vista)? First noticed it as I was alerted via a popup that some of them were trying to access my computers media resources. Am I ok with that or what? :D I went "WTF?" big time, had a look at My Network, saw a huuuuuge list of computers piling up there and a nanosecond or so after that terminated the VPN connection. Feeling more than slighty annoyed. For some reason... that just doesn't feel right... :blink:

So yeah... should I make the right conclusion and find another VPN-provider A.S.A.P? I have heard good things of privateVPN.se, might give them a shot.

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

There can be multiple servers in the OpenVPN client config file. But putting both SE and US servers in the same config file would be dumb. Alternatively, the apparent OpenVPN server could be a reverse proxy (aka load balancer), feeding requests to multiple access servers. But routing to both SE and US servers from the same proxy would also be dumb.

There's an option in OpenVPN to allow that or not. For private VPNs, it's a feature. That's not so in your case :(

I'd drop them. It sounds like they screwed up in responding to hardware problems. They put their clients at risk, in order to get their service back up quickly. That was stupid and irresponsible. I don't know privateVPN.se.

3. Agathon

Agathon Registered Member

Heyyy! Thanks for the info... have to see, might still give them a try because I have a month left... Going to set up OpenVPN & VPNetMon (that should work as in they seem to provide the required certificates). And that is what I should do regardless, learn the tools instead of using prepackaged solutions.

Their "live help" was somewhat clueless (could be that they are getting a bit of heat for last weekend) but I will shoot their techsupport an email.

4. parsec

parsec Registered Member

/local/galaxy_cluster/milky_way/sol_system/earth
    I have similar issue with vpntunnel.se configured on my DD-WRT
    here is a snapshot of the issue, maybe someone with vpntunnel.se configured on DD-WRT can confirm this.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.