VPN Traffic

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by ArtemisX, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArtemisX

ArtemisX Registered Member

I've recently sub'd to a VPN based in Malaysia, BolehVPN, i was untill recently with...another VPN company but they were quite expensive and rather quiet in communicating.

BolehVPN is an OpenVPN setup but i'm seeing alot of odd traffic. I run Peerblock and have most countries outside of Europe and N.America blocked. whenever i connect to this VPN (normally it seems routed via Luxembourg i think) i find Peerblock getting hammered (see the screeny if it works).

http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/4725113/1024/Anonymous/Untitled-1.jpg

Any ideas what i'm seeing? I've not noticed this on any other VPN i've tried and as soon as i close the VPN all these connections stop.

2. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

It appears that BolehVPN is forwarding your machine's ports -- at least, 445, 10101, 12993, 41447 and 59954. That's probably a feature to improve torrent throughput. Those might be ports that other concurrent users have opened. If you don't torrent, you probably want to disable this. Ask on their support forum.

3. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

ArtemisX where, how did you find out about this BolehVPN? This looks really good...

THANKS

4. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I have used Boleh VPN, and I liked their service. I was looking for a VPN service that was more P2P friendly. I purchased a 3 day trial, and found them to be ok. Their worth giving a try, but I honestly did not see a big difference with them and Xerobank when using P2P clients.

5. hierophant

What P2P clients, if I may ask? Generally, peers can't find you unless there's an appropriate open port forwarded through the VPN. XeroBank's VPN connection includes a NAT router, and doesn't permit port forwarding. Via XeroBank, you'll only connect to peers (with open ports) that you find. For "gregarious" P2P networks, such as Freenet in opennet mode, that's not very problematic. For torrenting, OTOH, it means that you upload only to peers that you've initiated downloads from.

6. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

The big difference is price between the two and given the lively forum community, Boleh seems pretty impressive for less...

7. nightrace

nightrace Registered Member

http://www.bolehvpn.net/aboutus.html

The only server I would possibly use would be Canada. The US and UK are surveillance states. Germany is notorious for server raids and Luxembourg actively passes info to the UK.

8. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

The people that run Boleh live in Malaysia.

LOL, oh boy you really don't have any clue about Canada then, they're in bed with the USA, forget Canada...

9. nightrace

As has been discussed on this forum before server location is more important than where a company is registered. I mentioned Canada as being the least of the worst, partly because many private torrent sites are hosted there. CryptoHeaven also has its secure email servers there. I don't agree that Boleh is impressive mainly because of their server locations.

10. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Well this is what the site says;

Currently our VPN servers are hosted in several locations:

1. United States of America
    2. Canada
    3. United Kingdom
    4. Luxembourg
    5. Germany

We also have Malaysian servers for SouthEast Asian game hosting and Mumble hosting. On a case by case basis, we can also provide VPN access to our Malaysian servers.

Personally I would go with the servers in Malaysia...

11. nightrace

So would I, but why do they seem reluctant to provide their Malaysian servers?

12. Cutting_Edgetech

I tried Boleh VPN with Utorrent mainly, and i did not get much better performance with Boleh VPN than I did with Xerobank. If I remember correctly I was averaging an extra 50 to 100 kbps more when using Boleh VPN vs Xerobank. This was when downloading multiple torrents. Speeds would jump up, and down from 50 kbps to 600 kbps. If it would have stayed between 400 to 600kbps then I would have stuck with them. I may have not been adjusting the settings right, but I did try with no success. Boleh VPN also has an option that allows the user to define which applications use the VPN while the rest of your applications uses your regular ISP. I decided not to purchase any additional time because the speeds varied so much. I tried adjusting the settings of Utorrent, and the VPN with no change in performance. Tech was pretty quick about responding to my questions on the forum. I also tried it with Winmx, and E-mule Xtreme Mod, but I do not remember how well they performed with Boleh VPN. I'm mainly interested in finding a VPN that works well with torrents. I may try them out again, but for now I will just have to use my ISP.

13. Cutting_Edgetech

Yes, one major difference is the price, but Boleh VPN is also not as secure or anonymous as Xerobank. If you read through their user policy then you will se what i mean if they have not changed it. Sorry if i sound like a broken Steve record lol

14. Cutting_Edgetech

15. hierophant

Try Mullvad. You can open a port for torrenting. They're TPB associated, AFAIK.

I wouldn't, and YMMV.

16. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

A link for this User Policy?

I never looked at this, what do they mean by 300?

17. Cutting_Edgetech

I don't remember exactly where i read it at so I will have to look for it, and get back with you.

It just means you can't have over 300 concurrent connections. In other words you can't have no more than 300 connections at the same time.

18. hierophant

Just in case it isn't obvious, this is a limit that won't impact users who aren't running P2P clients. Torrent clients, for example, can establish (or attempt to, anyway) hundreds of concurrent connections -- enough to crash some consumer broadband routers (old ones, anyway). This is not the number of concurrent VPN connections permitted. That limit is undoubtedly smaller, and probably much smaller.

19. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Sorry I know what the 300 is about, I just mean are we talking about 300 connections only allowed for P2P?

That seems a bit odd, what if you have thousands of customers, how are they suppose to use the VPN on P2P, sounds like they can't?

THANKS

20. hierophant

I believe that we're talking about the number of simultaneous/concurrent connections that a customer can route through a single VPN connection (tunnel).

If 1,000 customers had established VPN connections (tunnels) to BolehVPN, and each customer had routed 300 connections through its tunnel, BolehVPN overall would be handling 300,000 simultaneous/concurrent connections. I have no clue whether that's a realistic number.

De nada :)

21. Cutting_Edgetech

Yes, that is what I was saying. I just assumed the reader would understand that is with a single VPN connection. That brings up a good question though. If you are running more than 1 VPN on your network then how many concurrent connections are you limited to on the same IP address? Not the IP assigned to your workstation, but your IP assigned to you from your ISP? Is the user limited to 300 concurrent connections to each workstation or to all 300 concurrent connection between all workstations? I would say they regulate it to 300 concurrent connections per source IP address.

22. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

It's been a while since I've used Windows, I typically run Linux and the torrent client I use in Linux is called Deluge which has a 'Bandwidth' preference for 'Global Bandwidth Connection's - 'Max. Connections' and the default is 200.

I think this 300 has more to do with torrents, because in Usenet you're certainly not going to run 300 concurrent connections to download, that's absurd I only use 10 for Usenet...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.