VPN Security flaw found.

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by JDawg, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Brosephine

Brosephine Registered Member

So if your isp considers Tor unusual, and they see that you connected to it, they do.......o_O?

2. imdb

imdb Registered Member

glad to hear that you're doing ok.
    yeah i, too, remember ivpn didn't offer pf back in the day. insorg still doesn't.

3. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

I would recommend using VirtualBox. Part of getting the best answer for YOU is what OS will the host be running? There are some nice VM software programs around but many here are familiar with VirtualBox. Its free and pretty well supported. There are many good threads down in the virtualization forum right here at Wilders. You would want to build a linux virtual machine from scratch to run on VirtualBox. Once you learn how to build VM's you will be amazed at how easy and fast it is to create one. Then you can keep a perfectly fresh copy of the original and clone it to use as a workspace VM. Don't get overwhelmed by new terms because its easy and safe. We would love to help you or others along.

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

If you're using a Windows host, which I don't recommend because Microsoft snoops, VMware is a good choice. Especially for Windows guests aka VMs. Microsoft and VMware have worked together for years. For Linux hosts, VirtualBox is probably the best choice for new users. QEMU is more powerful, because it can emulate hardware (like running ARM code on Intel CPUs) rather than just virtualizing. But it's less user friendly, and generally slower. The most secure option is Qubes. But it's pickier about hardware, and even less user friendly.

5. marzametal

marzametal Registered Member

Is the only alternative to VirtualBox on Windows, VMware?

No that VB isn't 100% FOSS, I am wanting to look elsewhere... sorry to derail the thread somewhat, didn't feel like a new one was warranted.

6. mirimir

Well, there's Microsoft's Hyper-V ;) I'm not sure what else runs well in Windows.
    Only the VBox extension pack is closed source, and VBox is usable without it.

7. marzametal

marzametal Registered Member

Is the only alternative to VirtualBox on Windows, VMware?

No that VB isn't 100% FOSS, I am wanting to look elsewhere... sorry to derail the thread somewhat, didn't feel like a new one was warranted.
    Oh wow... cheers for the intel :)

8. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Aren't the Kernel modules Closed-Source as well? Or the program itself, I can't remember, but there are quite a few parts of VBOX that aren't open source.

9. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

When I'm running virtual machines on Windows, it doesn't bother me too much that Vmware isn't FOSS, because the damage is already done! I think Vmware is a decent company and the products are solid and particularly good for Windows guest integrations. Of course, they are susceptible to NSLs, but that's already true of MS. Similar to how I feel about Bitlocker, it's good if you're concerned about criminal attacks and normal commercial use.

There have been very few (published) guest-host attacks, most have been within-guest vulnerabilities, and in any case, most malware will self-silence when it checks for operation within a VM.

10. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

Many excellent points made.

Why would anyone be stressed over FOSS concerning their VM software when they are running M$ as a host? I would not only say the horse has left the barn, but the "herd" of horses has left the barn on that one!! Same with Bitlocker. If M$ is trustworthy then Bitlocker is trustworthy or vice versa. One and the same. I know where I would put my chips on a bet, but others may disagree.

11. mirimir

This is what Oracle says:
    https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Editions

They add this:
    There could still be closed-source blobs, I suppose. But you'd think that they'd mention that.

12. guest

guest Guest

@1PW - Yep, read that letter and of course just shook my head... What's the end up of that \ implications? Still safe to use?

13. Brosephine

Brosephine Registered Member

I understand the risk of using an American owned/operated VPN if you live in the USA and why it's recommended not to do so.

Most of the non-USA VPN providers that are recommended and mentioned on Wilders offer U.S. server locations.

Is it best to avoid these U.S. servers as well even though the VPN isn't under U.S. jurisdiction??

14. driekus

driekus Registered Member

I think the main reason that the US servers are provided is so that people can access US only services.

15. mirimir

US servers will be in US ISPs operating under US law. They're more likely fully pwned by NSA etc. And ISPs can also be forced to log under NSLs.

16. driekus

driekus Registered Member

Probably not important though if you are accessing US netflix from Canada.

17. mirimir

True ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.