VPN Provider that will no give up user details?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by ClearMyData, Nov 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ClearMyData

ClearMyData Registered Member

VPN Provider that will not give up user details?

I'm looking for a VPN provider that will not snitch on their users no matter what they do (Not that i plan on doing anything)

I don't want a provider that thinks it's okay to monitor networks or thinks we are paying them to decide what is right or wrong.

I need a provider that will provide the following

1. No Logs!
    2. WILL NOT give up user details no matter what the user has done and will not monitor servers when they get complaints.
    3. Non-US based company (I don't want the provider to be US based)
    4. If possible has exit-nodes in Canada (This is not a seller though, just prefer to connect to Canada instead of the US.)

I've looked into a ton of different providers. Like PIA, AirVPN, Mullvad, BlackVPN, nordvpn, Earthvpn, proxy.sh, TorGuard, Zorrovpn, liquidvpn etc

All have failed in the things that i need. If anyone else knows of another provider and has proof that they don't monitor or give up users then let me know. I'm running out of providers.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  2. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

You need a US based company that won't do any of the above? Only one I can think of is RiseUp! No Canada though. Invite only (or apply). But unless you work for any privacy company, there is no telling what they would do if it's either them or you, going to prison. Not having any data in the first place, helps, but I don't think RiseUp! offers connection via Tor...so they know your connecting IP while you are connected to the service - every company does (which is why allowing a connection via Tor is a nice layer). They have a good rep, but that's all we know.

3. ClearMyData

I'm looking for a company that is NOT based out of the US.

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Some of the providers that you list seem pretty close, based on their policies and statements to TorrentFreak. But you're asking too much, I think. And you have no way to verify providers' claims, except to find news articles about how they lied.

If you want that level of privacy, you need to distribute trust among multiple providers, in multiple spheres of influence. That way, adversaries must work harder to compromise enough to own you.

I say lots more about that in my guides (parts 1-:cool: at https://www.ivpn.net/privacy-guides.

5. ClearMyData

A lot of the stuff said on torrentfreak is outdated and the providers have updated their TOS since then.

The main provider that i am thinking about getting is nordvpn, but due to their lack of Canada exitnodes and they aren't really that open to the public about stuff. They said they will have exit-nodes in Canada at the end of the year, but they seem to be using ssl. I would much rather have a VPN provider use tls and ssl. If it wasn't from that. I would try them out. I thought about airvpn, but they refuse to answer a lot of the questions that i asked them in support tickets on if they would give up user details or monitor servers.

I can't afford to pay for two VPN providers, that is why i'm looking all over to find the best possible provider that seems like they can be trusted and pretty active on twitter or something with their users. I thought about going with Mullvad, but coudln't max out my connection on their US nodes for some reason. I could on NL/SE, but the ping is too high on that to play games. I guess i'll just have to keep looking since it's pretty hard to find a good VPN provider now a days that stands behind their users and fights for them. Instead of monitoring servers every chance they get and giving up users/banning users from their network at a blink of an eye.

6. imdb

imdb Registered Member

Re: VPN Provider that will not give up user details?

do you really think that a small or medium-scale company would do everything to protect a customer under any circumstances who pays them $20-$30/mo at most ? easy there now, buddy. keep your feet on the ground and ask yourself whether you, yourself would do everything for yourself when confronted by a government? hardly. one subpoena and you're like "sir, yes sir!".

7. ClearMyData

Actually, i would. If i had the money to start up a VPN provider and had people who knew how to run the network for me. I would do all of the above for my users. If people are going to pay me all this money and make these providers what they are. They should take their users privacy a bit more serious. If these provider did what they actually say and didn't log they would have nothing to worry about if the government confronted them (unless they are in the US). They aren't breaking any laws by not logging their users in most of the countries.

The simple facts are the users paying that "small fee of 30$" is what is making them able to afford 1000s of servers all over the world. So it must be paying their bills and servers aren't really that much money to rent in todays day and age. You can rent a gbit server for around 50$/m now or less. I've never checked into colo for providers, but can't be much more then that.

The problem is all these providers are in it for the money and don't acutally give a crap about keeping their users safe. They just want to bulk sell their network and make a killing off people by saying they don't "log" and then turn around and tell people they will terminate accounts for using torrents or other things. If they weren't logging/monitoring servers they wouldn't be able to do that. So it's a lie to get money from people. I'm looking for an honest provider that actually wants to provide security for their users.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  8. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

lol, nope. I was actually going to start a VPN company a while back. I am in the UK, so I stopped due to logical legal issues. Its no where near 50$/m. I base my rates on 20mbit download speeds for my customers on average on a 1Gbit Server in the EU, (50) users a server at full load. If you want to achieve this well you need to spend about €450($600) a month on each server at each location.

9. ClearMyData

Were you looking at Colocation or just renting a server? Because you can rent a damn 10gbit server for less then that. So you must have not looked very hard or you looked at the most expensive provider out there. You can get a full rack for that price and then just buy your own servers and pay that monthly for a rack...

I sell seedboxes for a living...

10. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

Obviously not.

Unlimited Bandwidth, Low Latency, Load Balancing IP's, Fast CPU's all cost money, I think you misunderstand how a good VPN works. You also have to get a provider who won't shut you down on complaints.

11. Re: VPN Provider that will not give up user details?

LOL. it's always the ones saying they are doing NOTHING that are doing SOMETHING.

You really think that a VPN provider won't snitch when faced with prison time or a gun in their face? Please..... They will roll over, they always do. It's just human nature. Trust yourself, no one else is my advice.

If you sell seed boxes for a living why not just use one and configure it as a OPENVPN server along with being a seed box to hide the traffic?

12. DATACHECK

DATACHECK Registered Member

I use VPN4ALL for a year now and so far they seem to be very good, no problems yet. It is to my understanding that they are supposed to be the one of the best.

13. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Is there a country that can't/won't use court orders to sieze/control hardware in this context, regaurdless of the providers intentions to protect its customers ?

14. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Don't think so. But if they are setup to retain no info at all (only employees/owners know this for certain), then they can't give anything. The user has to do their part as well. If a service allows connection via Tor, not even they can tell what your IP address is, if they are forced to notify/log, etc.. upon connection. As long as no IRL info is sent, they can't know who you are. You'd obviously have to set up the account with cash or bitcoin. Or, do a multi hop with VM's, etc... They can only give what they have. If they don't have anything other than a Tor IP or exit IP of another VPN, they don't have much to give, even if they roll over.

15. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Properly configured VPN servers don't contain anything sensitive. They can be diskless, so there's no place to store logs. Credentials, user account information, etc are stored remotely, and can easily be accessed via Tor. I don't know specifics about particular VPN services, but I know what's doable.

16. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

AirVpn has two servers in Canada and they meet most/all of your requirements. I have been on those two servers and they run pretty fast.

Candidly, I am not sure Canada is much better than an actual USA server. Those two countries are VERY cooperative with each other. However if you establish an extended "partition of trust" along with any good VPN you'll be OK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.