VPN Leaking Packets

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by wsguy52, Aug 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wsguy52

wsguy52 Registered Member

Hey guys, I have a few questions hopefully you can help me out with.

Imo Astrill is a great VPN. I've used them for a couple years now, and when my service was expiring, I spend a couple days dedicated to finding a new VPN simply because their customer service is pretty awful. However, in the end I still chose Astrill. The quality of the product itself, plus what I read about security, made me feel like I had no alternative, and I'm still happy with my choice.

Now I'm getting a bit more into security type stuff, and want to really lock myself out of the grid. I'm using Mac OSX 10.6, and Linux, which I'm brand new to.

1. How do I make sure that absolutely no data leaks out during disconnects/reconnects etc., and that I literally cannot send/receive anything? The best I could find was this: https://airvpn.org/index.php?option...id=1713&limit=6&limitstart=42&Itemid=142#2756

But I don't know how to customize it for Astrill. Astrill's support is abysmal, and I won't even waste the 10 minutes writing them an email because that's an additional energy cost when I'm gonna be super pissed after I get the response from some Filipino borderline-retarded answerbot who in all likelihood won't have even understood the question.

1A. I'm not gonna pay $20 for an OS update to 10.8, so if someone from Apple is reading this, F*** you, I'm never buying another Apple again... for many reasons /rant

If it's easier on 10.8, I'll find someone who recently also got suckered into buying a Mac and mooch their CD. So, if one of you guys knows how for 10.7 or 10.8 that is significantly easier/different, please let us know!

1B. When at internet cafes, etc., often you need to access an initial Starbucks login page, for example. How does this affect VPN security? Are they simply registering your Mac address and letting it access the internet, or what? Would doing #1 prevent me from logging into a Starbucks/Public wifi? I can't find any good info on this.

2. Same as 1, for Linux?

Thanks guys!

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I don't use Macs, and can't help much with them. Given that the guts are Unix-like, I gather that Unix/Linux approaches may work if ports are available.

For routing, the key entry in the VPN config file is "redirect-gateway def1". To ensure that nothing gets out when the VPN goes down, you use firewall rules. That's been discussed many times on Wilders.

To check your setup, use Wireshark. Capture on the VPN adapter (normally tun in Linux) and the physical NIC. Everything on the physical NIC should be encrypted. Kill the OpenVPN process, and see if anything gets out on the physical NIC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.