VPN: Are you fully encrypted?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by ruskirururu, Dec 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruskirururu

ruskirururu Registered Member

Hi Guys!

Question for the knowing.
    So I understand that running through a VPN server will encrypt the data from your computer through your ISP so that the ISP doesnt see what you are doing.

ME--->MY ISP--->(Paid)VPN SERVER in Europe for example
    all encrypted and my isp doesnt know what im doing

My question is this: if the vpn server is on the same internet connection as I am then would there be encryption still?

ME--->MY ISP--->(My Own)VPN SERVER on MY ISP
    my isp should know what i am doing right? and how?

And another instance.
    ME--->MY ISP--->(My Own)VPN SERVER on DIFFERENT ISP
    my isp doesnt know what i am doing because encrypted, but does the different isp see what I am doing??

THANK YOU!!!

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Re: ♦♦ VPN: Are you fully encrypted? ♦♦

Yes, that's correct.

There would be encryption between you and the VPN server, but not between that server and Internet sites. If they were on the same ISP connection, there would be absolutely no benefit. Even if they were on different connections with the same ISP, there would be no real benefit, because the ISP can see everything.

Your ISP sees that you're connecting to the server via the other ISP, but it can't see what sites you're visiting. The other ISP can see what sites you're visiting, and can also see that you're connecting from the first ISP.

Even so, there's not much benefit, because you're the only user, so it's only your traffic that's using that VPN server.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.