Vote: Make Universal Restore Also Standalone ASAP

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jeremyotten, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeremyotten

jeremyotten Registered Member

Ok People Lets here are voice here! Wo has the need to also use Universal Restore on a standalone basis?

Meaning that you don't first have to restore an image before Universal Restore kicks in.
    !!!!

2. jeremyotten

Come on people... are there that few that use Universal Restore

3. onclejean

onclejean Registered Member

Well I would not be surprised that few people use it, because few people have heard of it and as yet none, myself included have got it to work . I understand that some Bart PE users incorporate it and use it successfully:D

4. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

It works fine for me if I use the Acronis Media Disk. I have never been able to get it to work with Mustang's BartPE plug in either using Reatogo XPE or BartPE.

Has anyone been able to get it to work successfully with Mustang's plug ins?

5. jeremyotten

It worked for me with the plugin of mustang.

What problems did you encounter?

6. jeremyotten

Does anybody know the power of Universal Restore?

Could anybody imagin the power when it is also Standalone?

Please people vote! And when you don't understand why I will be happy to explain to you every detail of Universal restoring!

;-)

ALSO SEE:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=140143

Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
  7. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Errors during restore from one Dell laptop (XPS Gen 2) to another Dell laptop (Inspiron 8200). I restore from external USB hard disk. Machine would not boot after restore using Mustang's plug in. This only occurs when using Universal Restore from Mustang's plug ins. If I use the Acronis Disk restoring the same backup, it will boot.

If I do just a plain restore to the same machine, Mustang's plugs worked just fine.

8. jeremyotten

Ok but I think this is another problem

I have a machine which won't boot when Universal Restore is done from the linux bootcd

AND WILL boot when I use BARTE and MUSTANG's plugin

So the situation isn't just that black and white i presume ;-)

9. dobbelina

dobbelina Registered Member

I really hopes Acronis makes it standalone as well.
    The value of the app would then truly increase as it's usage wouldn't be restricted to TI image restoration only.
    It could then be used on "working systems" directly after let's say a
    mainboard failure.
    Just rip out the hd and replace comp, run UR and you're good to go.

10. jeremyotten

Exactly.

And when someone asks you: What app should I use for this?

You can always answer with that Single answer: ACRONIS TRUEIMAGE UNIVERSAL RESTORE OFCOURSE!!!

;-)

But only with enough votes we can convince Acronis to make it Standalone

11. 1kyle

1kyle Registered Member

I'm a user of VM's (Virtual Machines). This type of product is absolutely great when performing V2P or P2V conversions (Virtual to Physical / Physical to Virtual). Without explaining the principles of Virtual Machines / Virtualisation one of the problems in moving Virtual Machines around - especially for deployment is the hardware can be different. So you might have built your Ideal Virtual Machine --but will have trouble converting the VM to run on a REAL machine (i.e running natively rather than under a product like Parallels or VMware).

This type of product is "Just what the Doctor Ordered" for performing these type of operations.

So I for one would really welcome this either as a "Stand Alone" product or built in seamlessly to True Image --not as an add on.

Cheers

-K

12. jeremyotten

What I have seen when you image from Vmware to REAL and you have the vmware tools installed in the vmware machine these will also be on the REAL MACHINE.

Here comes the deal you won't be able to remove it. Besides cleaning out all files and registry keys by hand.

So when you do it. Deinstall the vmware tools in vmware before deploying to real.

Or maybe acronis could enhance there universal restore to check if vmware tools are present en then remove them before booting to linux ;-)

Yet another possible enhancement to UR

13. 1kyle

1kyle Registered Member

Going from Virtual to Real certainly SEEMS to be OK. What Universal restore seems to do is mess around with the HAL.DLL file (Hardware Absraction Layer) and what it can't find prompts for the location to a driver file.

I don't think VMWARE TOOLS is actually much of an issue as these just seem to contain a Virtual Network card (or 2), a virtual Video driver, and a mouse driver. These will all be replaced in any case by the "REAL" drivers.

Certainly in doing V2P transformations I haven't heard of this being an issue -- there's quite a bit of discussion on these topics over on the VMWARE support forums

P2V is a much easier transformation --and this works 100%.

Here's the URL of the vmware discussion forums

http://www.vmware.com/community/index.jspa

cheers

-k

14. dobbelina

dobbelina Registered Member

It is very simple do do away with "VMware tools", just don't install it in the first place, if you plan to make a "migrating image".

15. jeremyotten

Dude I think you don't understand me:

What i say is. When you have installed vmware tools and then do a V2P with Universal restore and FORGET to remove the vmware tools before the imaging of the vmware machine.

YOU WILL NOT GET THEM REMOVED IN A NORMAL FASION AFTER YOU COMPLETED THE RESTORE AND ARE WITHIN WINDOWS ON THE REAL MACHINE!!

Kapisch?

16. jeremyotten

Just in a few days this thread goes from the front page to the 8th page. this way we will never get Acronis to also make it a standalone option in the Trueimage bootmenu option

come on people!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.