Vote for fw user controls in Win 8/ +........

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by ams963, Oct 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  2. micafighter

micafighter Registered Member

It would be really nice to have them back, and the missing settings too:

[​IMG]
    These settings can improve security.

3. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i would like to also see them back but maybe under a "advanced" settings type of thing so normal people dont mess with them.

4. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I've been promoting this since the beginning with WSA 2013... but Webroot says it's not necessary as it can be done in Windows firewall in Win8... I disagree.

Now it seems like it's more of a technical issue and no one knows how to implement it. Other products and vendors know, however.

5. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Yes, and they can implement it within the codebase they use for their product. I'm no coder, but appreciate sometimes it's just not workable.

6. micafighter

micafighter Registered Member

Do you really think Webroot Team doesn't know how to do it? They just think it is not essential, because you have other means to change firewall settings, and very few people used it anyway (or at least that is what they think i guess)

Because of this, the Webroot firewall interface on win 8 and up has low priority, and they focus on high priority tasks.

It is that simple.

7. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Here's what Joe has to say https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2289116&postcount=9

From his words we can understand it's not that Webroot doesn't know how to implement it but they don't consider it necessary or useful for most users.

8. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Exactly, the firewall in Windows 8 is much easier to work with than previous platforms because of the built in OS controls. Every vendor needs to use the same APIs now (the older methods are deprecated), but that's exactly why we aren't doing it currently - no matter what vendor wraps the APIs, it will be exactly the same underlying calls which are built into the OS, and you can use the OS UI to do the same job if you want to customize it.

9. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I'm sorry if I confused you people. I suppose my english isn't the best at all times. :)

What I meant was that other vendors choose to let the security software on Win 8 handle the firewall based on if the process.exe is benign, malicious or previously unseen or not yet classified. I see no reason why Webroot shouldn't let WSA alert the user with a choice.

Currently, WSA only alerts users using Windows XP/7. By doing that, and not for Windows 8 users, it gives me double messages. Webroot choose one way for one OS version, but not for the other. I do not see why. Webroot thought it good to have on Win 7 but not on 8. Why?

Just trying to keep the discussion going... :cool:

10. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

From my understanding of what Joe said, the other vendors are using exactly the same API calls as built into the Windows 8 OS. So it sounds like duplicated work when you can use the OS UI to do the same thing.

Joe's quote:

11. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

TonyW is correct - and the reason why we have the functionality on Windows 7 and not Windows 8 is because Microsoft doesn't expose the same normalized interfaces on Windows 7 (or require vendors to use the new APIs).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.