VoodooShield/Cyberlock

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by CloneRanger, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

@VoodooShield MRizos tests VS HERE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8oh5Wf89_k

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  2. guest

guest Guest

I think making the shield colored accordingly to the status would be less confusing to novice.

example:

- VS is turned OFF (no protection at all): red shield
    - Learning Mode: Orange
    - Smart Mode but not "activated" : Green
    - ON "activated" : Blue

3. Djigi

Djigi Registered Member

- VS is turned OFF (no protection at all): Red shield
    - Learning Mode: Orange
    - Smart Mode but not "activated" : Green
    - ON "activated" : Blue

:thumb::isay:

4. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Except VS will still block stuff while it is off, as mentioned recently.

5. guest

guest Guest

lol, i was so lazy to select the fonts' colors :p

6. guest

guest Guest

In fact, there is a confusion between "off" and "deactivated"

"OFF" with red shield should be only used when VS doesn't monitor anything at all, no scan, no blocks or allow, etc...

While "Deactivated" would still monitor.

I think Dan obviously couldn't put the full word "deactivated or activated" in the widget so he chose ON/OFF instead.

The best way to fix the confusion is the color scheme i suggested, every body knows the signification.

For example
    "OFF" on a Green Shield would let the user knows he is still protected,
    "OFF" on a Red shield would say that there is no protection at all.
    "OFF" on a Orange shield would mean "Learning Mode"
    "ON" on a Blue shield will mean "always On"

blue would be used only on Always ON configuration, green on Smart Mode, etc...

i dont have VS under my hands at the moment, so i dont remember what Auto-Pilot is compared to Smart Mode (i only use Always ON mode ^^)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2016
  7. A color scheme like this would only confuse most novices. It is actually quite simple, when VS is off "RED" in Smart Mode, it still protects user space and desktop, as seen in some of my testing videos you have watched as i test in default "Smart Mode", during this time it is "off" it is finishing fine tuning your whitelist so as to ensure smooth compatibility with your system. Below i will extract and place the Voodooshields Modes from the guide to refresh everyone.

VS MODES.png

8. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Well, color coding the various on/off combinations is pretty but makes this a little more complex. Clueless me likes the RED=OFF concept, it's universal. How about the Disable/Install mode which I use often? The shield stays blue, shouldn't it be red?

9. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Thanks! :)

10. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Disable/Install mode: gadget is grey and 'Disabled' ...

11. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Yes, OK I looked at it again. Against my dark grey desktop background, it looked blue when it fact it was grey with an X. Sorry about that additional confusion. :blink:

12. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

As long as it's in the window (after you install VS) explaining the colors I don't think it would be as confusing imo

13. shmu26

shmu26 Registered Member

I successfully edited the command line for my HP printer by opening one of the entries, and replacing every variable with a *. In your case, it looks pretty easy. Just replace the long random string at the end with a *
    I hope it works for you, and sorry for stating the obvious if you already tried this...

14. Cache

Cache Registered Member

It is but as far as I can tell, VS is truly off when in "Disable/Install Mode" and so I cannot see why the colour should not be red, the same as Training mode.

I agree with guest that there is a big difference between truly off and deactivated off, the latter we see in Smart and Always On modes. Therefore it would make sense to have differing colours for when VS is truly off (Training and Disable/Install modes) and when it is deactivated in Smart and Always On modes.

15. I thought that SMART mode OFF is same as AUTO-pilot mode ON :doubt:

16. guest

guest Guest

Correct. A better visual indicator / visual clue is needed.
    -----
    Wouldn't it better to print the current mode on the VS-Icon if it has switched off? So the user knows that still some blocking can be expected.
    VS - Visual Clue - Smart Mode.jpg VS - Visual Clue - Always On.jpg

17. Fun FUD article on new "new injection technique"
    Not with VS (and other white list approaches) ;)

18. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

mood:

You mean on the desktop gadget, right? What if you keep it hidden all the time and solely rely on the tiny tray icon? The red color is great, though, it means an absolute. So easiest, I think, is a red shield that means absolutely OFF, not "somewhat off but mostly on," some things are off and others on, etc. Why the grey color for Disable/Install mode?

At any rate, that's my responsibility, figuring out what VS is really doing in the various modes, so using one default mode and the Disable/Install mode is easiest, I guess. The less brain-work involved, the better.

19. fax

fax Registered Member

Sorry to be a 'lone voice' in here but I personally have no issues with the current color-coding and tray titles/messages. o_O

20. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

Ok, guys, let's try not to make a mountain out of a molehill.

OFF: Always ON
    I can see that confusing a lot of people...

21. Cache

Cache Registered Member

In principle good but in practice the wording would be too small for most folk. I Like red for truly OFF and another colour, perhaps orange, for both the Smart and Always On "Offs" but there are plenty of other suggestions (see #12751).

It is clear that there is understandable confusion about what is actually happening with the various modes, especially when there are also settings that can be tweaked. IMO it would be a good area for Dan to consider rationalising and clarifying the number of modes as I can't help thinking that there is a degree of duplication here.

22. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

23. shmu26

shmu26 Registered Member

Dan, I am bumping this question to you: I am confused about inheritance of permissions, and I think I am not the only one. What's happening under the hood?
    I noticed that when I disabled parent/child, I got silent blocking of processes, so I enabled it again, as per default settings.

24. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey Registered Member

Thanks for answering :thumb: If I understand correctly i have to add the following command line:
    Code:
    c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\x64\3\e_yarnnme.exe*
    Unfortunately it didn't work :(

25. shmu26

shmu26 Registered Member

I think you need to put a space between the "exe" and the "*".

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.