VoodooShield/Cyberlock

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by CloneRanger, Dec 7, 2011.

1. VoodooShield

VoodooShield Registered Member

Sorry, that was a silly question of mine... you had already answered it in your original post. Let me check it out a little more and we can go from there, thank you!

2. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Dan, even after whitelisting chrome.exe I am still prompted each time I open Chrome, but only on this machine for some reason, not my other two.

VS blocking Chrome.PNG

3. VoodooShield

Cool, thank you. Are all three computers Windows 10 and all three running Chrome?

4. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Three machines = Win10 x64, all with Chrome x64.

Only one gives me this block.

I haven't had any previous versions of VS installed on this machine until this morning when I installed 3.45a.

5. VoodooShield

Cool, I think I know why this is being blocked, and there is a way to fix it, but I think there might be a better fix for it. Let me think about it and we will talk soon, thank you!

6. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Dan, I don't know why it would make any difference, but both machines without this problem had 3.44 installed before 3.45a. The machine with this problem never had VS installed until I install 3.45a this morning.

Cheers.

7. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Any chance I could get a link to 3.44?

Thanks.

8. VoodooShield

Yeah, what you described actually makes perfect sense... do you remember that one bug that I found at 3:00 am? Well, the fix for that caused this issue ;). It is no big deal at all, I just thought of another way we can fix it as well. So I should have it fixed soon... I just want to make sure that we have the best and most secure fix possible, because this is the part of the code that deals with web apps spawning other executable files (so we have to be careful ;)). Thank you!

9. VoodooShield

Sure, here is the old 3.44 version: https://voodooshield.com/Download/beta3/InstallVoodooShield344.exe

There were 2 versions of that as well, so hopefully this is the correct one. I think I am going to stop reusing the same version number ;).

If this does not work, don't worry, I will have it fixed soon, possibly even tonight.

10. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Cool! Thanks Mate!! :thumb:

11. MrGump

MrGump Registered Member

im confused. which version should i download and test?

12. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

13. MrGump

MrGump Registered Member

14. lunarlander

lunarlander Registered Member

Hi Dan,

There are 5 com files in Windows 10: \Windows\System32. The most commonly used ones are tree.com and more.com

Seriously, you need to provide a test for skeptical users to prove that VS is actually doing something. Maybe make a web page like the one I posted above with a drive by download test. You are not Norton or Mcafee - you don't have a past history and reputation to fall back on.

15. fax

fax Registered Member

IMO, skeptical users will remain skeptical whichever test you publish (a test is a test). More public reviews from reputable testing organisations could certanly help, I think Dan is working on it. Meanwhile, you have several videos published at the bottom of the main VS website.

16. fax

fax Registered Member

FYI, VS (latest version) decided to block silently a MS update (Security Update for Microsoft Silverlight (KB3193713)). As soon as I moved VS from Autopilot to install/disabled then the update installed successfully.

Logs do not seem to show anything abnormal...

17. VoodooShield

Cool, thank you for letting me know... this is part of the "File is Inaccessible or No Longer Exists" issue. What was the path of the block? I figured there were 2-4 modifications we would have to do, and this is one of them... it is an easy fix though.

If there are any other blocks like this, please let me know!

18. VoodooShield

BTW, this is working for Krusty now, but if anyone has any issues with any add ons or browser plugins, please let me know!

19. VoodooShield

Yeah, I have spent a lot of time on this, and I am sure we are safe... when I have time I will show you what I mean.

In the meantime, if you find any security product that actually blocks this file, without the use of a folder / file blacklist monitor, please let me know. I have tested several and they all work as expected. Thank you!

20. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Hey Dan,

Strangely, I was prompted to allow "c:\program files (x86)\norton identity safe\engine\2014.7.11.42\conathst.exe" today on a different machine that I had already whitelisted this on.

21. VoodooShield

Cool, does it keep prompting you, or did it work after you allowed the item?

22. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

It seems to of worked because I'm not prompted on that machine now.

Thanks.

23. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

PC did an auto windows update that resulted in VS going into Training mode from Autopilot after reboot. Latest 3.45 Beta.

24. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I ran into a slight hiccup while updating REVO Uninstaller Pro. :oops: I forgot to grab the details. I think it related to system32.x. I closed VS on my other machines and did not have the error on them. I put VS in Install Mode but still got an error on one machine, which I didn't get on the others after closing VS.

Sorry Dan, I can't give the details on this one. I've restored an image backup on that machine as per my email.

Thanks.

25. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Option "Run files not detected automatically when VS is OFF in Smart mode & in Always ON mode"

Smart Mode OFF
    Files not detected as threats will be automatically allowed when Smart Mode is OFF, right? And when the option is "Unchecked" then files not detected as threats shouldn't be automatically allowed, right?...BUT they are auto-allowed...Please look into this...

Always ON
    Is it the same for Always ON mode i.e Files not detected as threats will be automatically allowed on Always ON mode?
    Files not detected as threats are not auto-allowed in Always ON mode...And I find this good...I think Always ON mode should be strictly anti-exe And files shouldn't be auto-allowed on the basis of scanners. BUT then what does the option means for Always ON mode?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.