VoodooShield/Cyberlock

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by CloneRanger, Dec 7, 2011.

1. VoodooShield

VoodooShield Registered Member

BTW... from the sound of your "voice" it sounds like VS 3.15 messes up more than 3.14? If that is the case, please let me know and I can easily compare the 2 to see what I changed.

2. VoodooShield

Very cool, thank you! Let's get some more people and play together... after we finish VS 3.0 that is ;).

3. VoodooShield

Ok, I think I am caught up on all of the posts, if I missed one, please let me know! Thanks again for all of your help!

4. VoodooShield

Yeah, yeah... Picasso / Jobs "Good artists copy; Great artists steal".

The thing is, there is an ethical way to take what someone else has created, and add your new unique innovations to them... it is called licensing!

That is how technology advances and new innovations are introduced. But the latest generation of innovators are only able to create cool new stuff because they stood on the shoulders of giants.

I have never understood why someone would try to reproduce someone else's work... it is bound to fail for sooooo many different reasons... that is, if karma does not get them first ;).

If someone has a truly unique idea, that is actually a game changer... then I would say go for it. But if someone just wants to make a slight design change, I believe they are wasting their time, and are probably only doing it to make money.

5. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I wouldn't say 3.15 was any better or worse. As you know, I've been reporting VS freezing for a while now and for some reason there is still some key part of the puzzle we're missing.

I'm sure we will get there though, I have faith in you. :thumb:

Cheers.

6. VoodooShield

Cool, thank you! Now that I am only focusing on these issues, they should be a quick fix. I am debugging in Windows 10, and that will help tremendously (otherwise, for example, your edgehtml error will never appear ;)). I hope to have them fixed by tomorrow.

7. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Reading this post makes me have much more respect for you, keep doing what you're doing, you're doing an outstanding job.

8. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Next time it freezes and before I kill it in Task Manager, what if I get Task Manager to create a dump. Would that help?

9. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

A ReHIPS-Voodooshield combo would be superfluous; the user will get duplicate alerts from both ReHIPS and VS. It makes no sense and will make for a "busy" user experience. The user will have to manage two separate file and trusted command line databases. Too much to administer = mistakes.

Pick one or the other, use it properly and with discipline, and you will have solid protection.

10. guest

guest Guest

I forgot in which mode VS is not reactivating itself.
    I had to deinstall VS temporarily one week ago, but i'm gonna test it again with the newest beta in a few days.

11. VoodooShield

Thank you, I appreciate that! I have to admit, it is a little bit of a touchy subject for me, especially considering what has transpired the last month or so. To make a long story short, I met with people from one of the large cell phone carriers about putting VS on all of their devices. Since iOS and Android apps are sandboxed, the only way to implement VS correctly on these devices is through Apple, Google, or apparently one of the mobile carriers. I had always heard that the mobile carriers had access to run their own software as “system” or whatever, but I never knew for sure. So we met, and they told me it was not an issue, and that they had sufficient access to the OS to be able to implement VS properly.

Anyway, I met with 2 guys from this carrier… one was a general business dude and one was a tech / security guy. They were reluctant to meet because they did not think that VS would benefit them in any way, but since a friend of mine was really good friends with someone at this company, the meeting was arranged.

It took 45 minutes for me to explain the concept of locking the device when it is at risk to them. I could understand how the business guy did not “get it”, hehehe, although, for a very long time there, he understood it more than the tech guy. I explained the concept of locking the device when a risky web app is running in like 4-5 different ways, and they just did not get it. I was like, “ok, you are playing Angry Birds… is there a chance you are going to get a virus?”… “Ok, so now you launch a web app… is there a chance you are going to get a virus?”… “Ok, you launch your facebook app, is there a chance you are going to get a virus? (BTW, the answer is basically no, unless there is a malicious link that spawns your default browser ;)… tricky one, I know… but it probably is not a bad idea to consider facebook and similar apps web apps anyway, but those are just minor details). Anyway, back to the story…

So 45 minutes and 4-5 examples later, the tech guy’s eyes lit up… he FINIALLY got it. Yeah, you lock the device when it is at risk, but when it is not at risk, do not lock it, so it remains user-friendly, and so it can add the good stuff to the whitelist.

About 10 seconds after he fully understood VS, he looked me straight in the eyes and asked me “so what is to stop us from just doing this on our own?” I replied with 2 words… “Our patent”. The thing is, I did not have to ask him if he was joking or not… he was dead serious. Needless to say, we will not be doing business with them.

The other large companies that I have talked to recently were maybe not quite as bad as this, but believe me, VS is not going to ever be associated with vultures and thieves, even if it means that I never make a lot of money from it. I know it sounds funny, but believe me when I say this, I have my reasons… I am PERFECTLY fine if I never make a lot of money with VS. I just want to lock all web connected devices when they are at risk.

Anyway, having something stolen from you does not sound that bad, unless it happens to you. I have to say, I think the security community and the devs do a pretty darn good job of being respectful of other people’s intellectual property, and I absolutely love seeing all of the cool new inventions and innovations that kill malware ;).

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  12. VoodooShield

Maybe... thank you for asking ;). Actually, I have been debugging it in windows 10 for a few hours now... yep, there are some things we have to fix ;). I think most of them are going to be quite easy. But for example, VS does not have access to the C:\Windows\Temp folder, so that is causing some issues. I have a couple of ideas on how to fix it, but I will probably ask Vlad for his opinion, just to make sure I do it correctly. It will probably take a couple of days, but I do not see any big obstacles... but yeah, I wish I would have been debugging in windows 10 earlier. You kinda have to debug in all OS's... I just did not have a VM for 10 setup yet, but now we are good to go ;).

13. VoodooShield

I am telling you, we need to create "Wilder's Security"... it would be the best security software ever created ;). In case you guys do not know what I mean... I think we should take all of the really cool ideas from all of the cool products and combine them into one super product, and call it Wilder's Security. I know, it is silly, but I'm game ;).

14. VoodooShield

Cool, thank you for letting me know! If you are running windows 10, you might want to wait 2-3 days ;). I mean, it works, but there are a couple of bugs ;).

15. Moose World

Moose World Registered Member

@VoodooShield,

Thank you to getting around to answering my questions!!!:)
    Your hit a Home Run!!! With your answers.

Kind regards,:geek:

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  16. Tyrizian

And this is one of many reasons why I use your product, you're an honest dude who I believe has his morals straight.

Not only that, I also like the constant development, the interaction with your user base and the overall strength of the product.

You're seriously doing an amazing job, I am very thankful that you're continuing this journey with VoodooShield, I truly do enjoy being witness of the growth of the product....keep it up!

17. Tyrizian

If the creators of Wilders gave this the go ahead, I would seriously be all for it.

Fingers crossed for making this a reality :D

18. Callender

Callender Registered Member

Okay - installed VS 3.15 then installed Privacy Fence and got the same issue.

VS Error Message.jpg

I think that Privacy Fence blocks access to some file or files that VS needs acces to. There's no way to add VS as a trusted app and allow access to "file types"

Privacy Fence Configuration.jpg

19. andi_cro

andi_cro Registered Member

I wonder what those cool ideas and products should be?

Do you have any ideas yet except VS power ?

VS to lock and monitor, Comodo Sandbox or Sandboxie to isolate,Zemana AntiLogger to protect privacy...

Something like that in mind?

20. guest

guest Guest

Yes, VS is not associated with a filetype and is not displayed at "Select Application"
    But I see in the screenshot that ".dat" is a protected filetype.
    VS must have access to c:\ProgramData\VoodooShield\ where .dat and .log-files are located. Maybe PF blocks this access.
    Can you temporarily disable the protectection of these filetypes? And then start VS again

21. Callender

Callender Registered Member

22. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

VoodooShield,

IMHO there should be options for Blacklist Scan & VoodooAi.

Blacklist Scan - There should be detection level option i.e ex- users can set to "3" & VS will alert only on 3 or more AV detection. Default you keep you think best. But I do think detection level option should be there. It could be drop-down menu with options like default, 1, 2, 3, etc...

VoodooAi - I like the newly added option to auto-allow files with no blacklist detection/FPs & VoodooAi not detected Unsafe. Similarly would like to see an option to auto-allow files unknown to blacklist scan & VoodooAi not detected Unsafe. And similarly an option to auto-allow files that are big to upload to the cloud & VoodooAi not detected Unsafe.

Default you keep you think best but would be good to have the above mentioned options.

23. VoodooShield

Thank you Moose and Tyrizian!

24. VoodooShield

Yeah, it would be pretty cool ;). It is a very long shot, but I am willing to donate VS's features to the project ;).

25. VoodooShield

Hmmm, it does look like there is a block of some kind. I am not familiar enough with Privacy Fence to be able to tell you for sure. When I have a moment, I can install it and see if there is a way to allow VS. In the meantime, does anyone who uses PF know how to fix this?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.